Outdoor smoking ban

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Outdoor smoking ban

Post by EliotNes »

I can remember smoking being allowed on aircraft. Now you can't put a laptop in checked baggage because of the risk of it catching fire. A strange era I've lived through.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Post by CEB2ElectricBoogaloo »

*insensitive
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

If it was the real CEB I would have a go at doing a dad character but it isn't so I won't.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

The issue is with the figures.

Starmer talks about 80,000 deaths, firstly how much difference will his measures take and how long?

Secondly, he did not mention that 30 years ago around 300,000 died a year.

The effect will be minimal, the number smoking now is 13%, down significantly over the last 50 years. The trend is downwards anyway, so unlikely to help, but some pubs may be affected as people choose to drink/smoke at home, especially those on lower incomes.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

My mum was one of the 300,000 from 30 years ago. 20 a day for 40 years. I don't recommend it. Didn't even bother saving the coupons.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

EliotNes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:12 pm I can remember smoking being allowed on aircraft. Now you can't put a laptop in checked baggage because of the risk of it catching fire. A strange era I've lived through.
Getting the train to Uni in the very early 00s I got stuck in the smoking carriage once or twice. Absolutely incredible to think something like that existed so recently.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Staff rooms at schools. It’s properly weird to think about now
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Rubex Kube wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:40 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:26 pm If it was the real CEB I would have a go at doing a dad character but it isn't so I won't.
I was going to ask was it Cryogenics or Resurection with his MOM vaping now

Truly bizarre posting
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

I have literally no idea what you are talking about, but well done for immediately going into the top three weirdest boarders I’ve ever encountered
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

:D Definitely not the real KEEF/CEB, Likes, bizzare & weird, thats 3 brought to mind Immediately :D
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Most odd.
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

:lol: :lol:
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:23 pm
Admin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:36 pm As an on-off smoker, can't say I care either way. But surely there's other things to be focusing on?
The leading cause of preventable death isn’t important?
Of course it is - but if the government seriously wants to deal with the issue then do something more weighty than just banning it in certain public spaces. The proposals are just f*cking about round the edges.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

Rubex Kube wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:21 pm :lol: :lol:
Sorry, what exactly are you finding funny right now?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

:D
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

The “laugh react rather than say anything because I’ve sort of realised I’ve dropped a bollock here” is a novel strategy. Not sure that it’s working for anyone other than you though
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Not likely though is it, Too much to lose
Admin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:22 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:23 pm
Admin wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:36 pm As an on-off smoker, can't say I care either way. But surely there's other things to be focusing on?
The leading cause of preventable death isn’t important?
Of course it is - but if the government seriously wants to deal with the issue then do something more weighty than just banning it in certain public spaces. The proposals are just f*cking about round the edges.
Tobacco duties are levied on purchases of cigarettes, hand-rolled tobacco, cigars and other forms of tobacco. In 2024-25 we estimate that tobacco duties will raise £8.8 billion. This represents 0.8 per cent of all receipts and is equivalent to 0.3 per cent of national income, and £302 per household.
https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/tax-b ... co-duties/
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

CEB2ElectricBoogaloo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:28 pm The “laugh react rather than say anything because I’ve sort of realised I’ve dropped a bollock here” is a novel strategy. Not sure that it’s working for anyone other than you though
massive bollock dropped NRK
Last edited by Rubex Kube on Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEB2ElectricBoogaloo
Fresh Alias

What is it that you’re getting at here mate? what would you like to happen as a result of what you think you’ve worked out?
Rubex Kube
Fresh Alias

Post by Rubex Kube »

I'd like everyone who wants Ice cream to get one, even the naughty ones :D
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

There are so many different aspects to this idea from Starmer .....
1) He has already warned that austerity is inevitable for years to come. His attempted war on smoking is redirecting some of the public's anger on to smokers. Smokers will be painted as the greatest cost and danger to society who will therefore only be allowed to smoke behind closed doors in their own home. And those who haven't got a home won't even be allowed to smoke on their park bench.
2) It is presented as trying to save horrendous costs to the NHS for dealing with smoking related health issues. But a major proportion of the prices charged for tobacco goes to taxes and therefore the government. How will Starmer's government replace those tax revenues?
3) There are so many aspects of living in this country that damage people's health and kills them (dirty water, air pollution, chemicals in food, obesity, plastics, etc). How about his government trying to address that? Of course, it's so much easier to demonise Joe Bloggs for lighting up a fag.
4) Does Starmer's ire extend to cigar smokers? Or is that o.k. as they are not usually working class people? My unscientific observation is that many cigarette smokers often are people who find their life stressfull and unrewarding. There are also still elements where smoking was felt as aspect of being an adult.

Is this Starmer's version of 'populist politics'? Demonising smokers (who already are much reduced in numbers) as a major policy issue for his government?
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:37 pm
EliotNes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:12 pm I can remember smoking being allowed on aircraft. Now you can't put a laptop in checked baggage because of the risk of it catching fire. A strange era I've lived through.
Getting the train to Uni in the very early 00s I got stuck in the smoking carriage once or twice. Absolutely incredible to think something like that existed so recently.
Heard someone talk about the car power point recently at work, blew his mind when I told him that was the cigarette lighter :lol:
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

E10EU wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:05 am There are so many different aspects to this idea from Starmer .....
1) He has already warned that austerity is inevitable for years to come. His attempted war on smoking is redirecting some of the public's anger on to smokers. Smokers will be painted as the greatest cost and danger to society who will therefore only be allowed to smoke behind closed doors in their own home. And those who haven't got a home won't even be allowed to smoke on their park bench.
2) It is presented as trying to save horrendous costs to the NHS for dealing with smoking related health issues. But a major proportion of the prices charged for tobacco goes to taxes and therefore the government. How will Starmer's government replace those tax revenues?
3) There are so many aspects of living in this country that damage people's health and kills them (dirty water, air pollution, chemicals in food, obesity, plastics, etc). How about his government trying to address that? Of course, it's so much easier to demonise Joe Bloggs for lighting up a fag.
4) Does Starmer's ire extend to cigar smokers? Or is that o.k. as they are not usually working class people? My unscientific observation is that many cigarette smokers often are people who find their life stressfull and unrewarding. There are also still elements where smoking was felt as aspect of being an adult.

Is this Starmer's version of 'populist politics'? Demonising smokers (who already are much reduced in numbers) as a major policy issue for his government?
How many are you on a day?

Wasn’t rishi going to ban smoking altogether for anyone currently under 16? Surely that’s worse but didn’t see people moaning about that on here.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Adz wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:48 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:37 pm
Heard someone talk about the car power point recently at work, blew his mind when I told him that was the cigarette lighter :lol:
Do new cars not come with the car lighter still in there??? What did they think that bit was ?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:32 pm My mum was one of the 300,000 from 30 years ago. 20 a day for 40 years. I don't recommend it. Didn't even bother saving the coupons.
My mother, father and older sister were all heavy smokers. Mum gave up at around 60 years old, non stop coughing in the evenings but after being given a stern talking to by her doctor, she gave up and sucked extra strong mints when she had the urge to smoke. She got rid of her cough completely after 5 years without smoking, she was strong willed and never smoked again and lived to 92 years old. My dad smoked pipes, cigars and cigarettes but never took the smoke down, so never got a cough or any bad effects, he lived to 87 years old. My sister smoked more than 20 cigarettes a day from the age of around 18 years old, took the smoke down and enjoyed showing off her skills at blowing smoke rings. She died of smoking related illnesses aged 72. The stink of all the cigarettes and all the coughing put me and my brother completely off smoking. Our addiction was racing around on fast motor bikes and my brother died aged around 33 years old after an accident at Brands Hatch after he swerved to avoid a rider who fell off in front of him. He won many races including one race in the Isle of Man TT.