Vennells

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Vennells

Post by Monkey Boy »

LittleMate wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:09 pm
Monkey Boy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:44 am
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:25 am Four people committed suicide over this while a some others went to jail . She belongs in prison.
Yep, for a country that likes to portray itself as open and above board we are a disgrace, how about the blood scandal, how many police officers were convicted about Hillsborough how many Politicians were brought to justice over Covid (partygate) the list goes on I’m afraid😡
It is disturbing the number of such situations we are able to recollect without too much effort - but I'm glad that we at least live in a country where wrongs can be publicly identified and brought to task. Out of the 200+ countries on this planet there are very few where this can occur.
Yes tend to agree Lmate only thing is big organisations tend to stick together
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:25 am Four people committed suicide over this while a some others went to jail . She belongs in prison.
Yep, for a country that likes to portray itself as open and above board we are a disgrace, how about the blood scandal, how many police officers were convicted about Hillsborough how many Politicians were brought to justice over Covid (partygate) the list goes on I’m afraid😡
And in each case the cover-up was indeed every bit a conspiracy. The Horizon scandal in particular really does show why there's such deep seated distrust of Government and large corporations
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Monkey Boy wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:20 pm

It is disturbing the number of such situations we are able to recollect without too much effort - but I'm glad that we at least live in a country where wrongs can be publicly identified and brought to task. Out of the 200+ countries on this planet there are very few where this can occur.
Yes tend to agree Lmate only thing is big organisations tend to stick together
I never said it was imperfect and this Post Office situation bears that out. Its bloody horrid, with lies seemingly masking lies. I got a feeling that whilst Vennells has lied, she was equally lied to by many others within the system that either covered up their own inadequacies or feed her what she expected to hear. A bit like the king thinking the world smells of fresh paint, she probably lived in a rarified atmosphere.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Brought to task? It's taken 25 years to finally agree to dish out a bit of compo.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:39 pm

Brought to task? It's taken 25 years to finally agree to dish out a bit of compo.
And, mostly, it hasn’t even been paid out yet….
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Grenfell next up, hopefully sorted by 2040...
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Grenfell is a joke. I've been following this one closely and the list of companies and individuals that are possibly up for a range of criminal charges is long. And the offences are serious, such as corporate manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter, perverting the course of justice, misconduct in a public office, serious fraud etc.

But, the enquiry's charging files will not go to prosecutors until 2026, who are not expected to make any decisions on prosecutions until the end of that year. And the trials may not start for another year after that. It could well end up being over a decade since the fire before any of those who are responsible end up inside a Court.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

She must be sponsored by Kleenex
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Dunners wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:05 pm Grenfell is a joke. I've been following this one closely and the list of companies and individuals that are possibly up for a range of criminal charges is long. And the offences are serious, such as corporate manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter, perverting the course of justice, misconduct in a public office, serious fraud etc.

But, the enquiry's charging files will not go to prosecutors until 2026, who are not expected to make any decisions on prosecutions until the end of that year. And the trials may not start for another year after that. It could well end up being over a decade since the fire before any of those who are responsible end up inside a Court.
Are you on the hook for this one or not your jurisdiction?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Hoover Attack wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:08 pm
Dunners wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:05 pm Grenfell is a joke. I've been following this one closely and the list of companies and individuals that are possibly up for a range of criminal charges is long. And the offences are serious, such as corporate manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter, perverting the course of justice, misconduct in a public office, serious fraud etc.

Are you on the hook for this one or not your jurisdiction?
As I told the enquiry, the money from Kingspan was just resting in my account.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

I used to work for BT from 1979 which was then still part of the Post Office. Because of the Royal Charter and the fact that the Royal Mail is protected, they had their own internal police unit, the Investigation Bureau. They had proper legal powers, they were usually ex-Police and could be very intimidating. I fell foul of them once and it was only when my union rep turned up and basically told them to f**k off and come back with something credible that they backed off.

If you’ve read of heard any of the transcripts from the interviews the IB carried out with naive postmasters who weren’t even given legal assistance then frankly those IB f*****s should be up in court for collusion and intimidation. How they’re still allowed to do this now they’re essentially a private company is scandalous. The IB should be wound up immediately.

The problem was that they weren’t interested in finding out if Horizon had issues - they just wanted to get the “missing” money back. A key issue is that due to a Fujitsu whistleblower we know know that all the branch accounts could be accessed remotely, which the PO said wasn’t possible, so it’s entirely plausible that someone either in Fujitsu or the PO accessed individual branch accounts and stole the money. This one has a long way to run yet.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Even the non-corporate stuff is taking a ridiculous amount of time. One of the ongoing fraud cases isn't due to go to trial until next spring.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

In most cases they stretch it out so many of the people owed compensation, literally pass away
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Stowaway is bang on with his comments.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Friend or faux wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:29 pm Stowaway is bang on with his comments.
He certainly is.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Stowaway wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:03 pm I used to work for BT from 1979 which was then still part of the Post Office. Because of the Royal Charter and the fact that the Royal Mail is protected, they had their own internal police unit, the Investigation Bureau. They had proper legal powers, they were usually ex-Police and could be very intimidating. I fell foul of them once and it was only when my union rep turned up and basically told them to f**k off and come back with something credible that they backed off.

If you’ve read of heard any of the transcripts from the interviews the IB carried out with naive postmasters who weren’t even given legal assistance then frankly those IB f*****s should be up in court for collusion and intimidation. How they’re still allowed to do this now they’re essentially a private company is scandalous. The IB should be wound up immediately.

The problem was that they weren’t interested in finding out if Horizon had issues - they just wanted to get the “missing” money back. A key issue is that due to a Fujitsu whistleblower we know know that all the branch accounts could be accessed remotely, which the PO said wasn’t possible, so it’s entirely plausible that someone either in Fujitsu or the PO accessed individual branch accounts and stole the money. This one has a long way to run yet.
Interestingly the errors weren't always cash shortfalls. There were instances where postmasters were credited back the shortfalls to their account.

For every debit there is a credit so there must be some sort of suspense account Fujitsu were able to access to make the credits. There must be an audit trail for these transactions. No doubt destroyed in the cover up.
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Just lock her up!
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Friend or faux wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:33 pm Just lock her up!
Need to find space for her, the jails are all full up apparently 😂😂😂
Put her on a ‘small boat’ and send her to Calais………Or put her on the first flight to Rwanda
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:04 pm
Stowaway wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:03 pm I used to work for BT from 1979 which was then still part of the Post Office. Because of the Royal Charter and the fact that the Royal Mail is protected, they had their own internal police unit, the Investigation Bureau. They had proper legal powers, they were usually ex-Police and could be very intimidating. I fell foul of them once and it was only when my union rep turned up and basically told them to f**k off and come back with something credible that they backed off.

Interestingly the errors weren't always cash shortfalls. There were instances where postmasters were credited back the shortfalls to their account.

For every debit there is a credit so there must be some sort of suspense account Fujitsu were able to access to make the credits. There must be an audit trail for these transactions. No doubt destroyed in the cover up.
So yes an accounting system is meant to work that way but Horizon was coded so badly that it actually made money out of thin air. In one instance the logic was written back to front so instead of cancelling a debt and credit to 0 it doubled the shortfall instead.

https://www.postofficescandal.uk/post/p ... e%20branch

The forensic accountant from Second Sight explains it in the Nick Wallis podcast and basically yes, some of the money went into a slush account Post Office used to boost their profits and there is a theory some could've gone "elsewhere" though as you say impossible to prove at this point.

The more detail you hear about this the worse it gets and the whole time Post Office stuck to the same line "Horizon is robust" knowing full well it was anything but. It's criminal.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

There would have been software developers that wrote this crap that would have known it was sh*t and just sat on their hands. They are equally as culpable as anyone else.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Adz wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:39 am There would have been software developers that wrote this crap that would have known it was sh*t and just sat on their hands. They are equally as culpable as anyone else.
I think that they did voice their concerns to some extent, and one of them became a whistle-blower and went to the trade press.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Cheshunto wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:44 pm
Friend or faux wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:33 pm Just lock her up!
Need to find space for her, the jails are all full up apparently 😂😂😂
Put her on a ‘small boat’ and send her to Calais………Or put her on the first flight to Rwanda
Our town has an old ‘lock-up’ that’s currently available …..
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

She seems to be relying on the fact that she only knew about a couple of bugs and was reassured they were fixed, whilst at the same time believing she wasn't being given the full picture by those around her. Hmm.

How anyone with any experience at all of working with new large IT systems could honestly think it contained no bugs simply beggars belief.

There's no doubt in my mind she'll suffer no real consequences though.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

I’m still amazed that anyone thought that 100’s of post masters were doing the same fraud at the same time.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Story of O wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:43 pm I’m still amazed that anyone thought that 100’s of post masters were doing the same fraud at the same time.
That’s the point . One or two ,maybe but not 100’s . The alarm bells must have been ringing loud and clear. They probably were so why was it ignored. ?