Your Present Car

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Re: Your Present Car

Post by Scuba Diver »

MassiveForehead wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:15 am 57 plate Suzuki Swift, in black, with a dodgy bumper thanks to my inability to avoid the neighbours wall one day. It's my wonderful shitbox, which I should replace for an automatic for the type of driving I do - but it's only done 56k miles in it's life, so going to leave the old girl until she dies in a blaze of glory.

Having become a fan of such youtube channels like Auto Alex, Drive Tribe, Johnny Smith Show etc, I can really appreciate what an old car can do and would rather have one than a more expensive newer car. Did consider to buy one of those ULEZ non-compliant diesels as I live out in the sticks by the coast and we are reliant on cars so wanted a bit of a bargain.

Although I would like cameras for parallel parking. I'm useless at that.
I'm in a similar scenario with my old Alfa (2000 plate). It's only done 75k, so I wonder what would be the point of jumping out to something else.
I'm in the fortunate (and unheard of, for me) financial position of easily being able to walk into a car showroom and rent something brand-new for 3 years for circa £$00pcm, but it would still only ultimately do the same job (that of conveyance from A to B), and renting cars is one way to either keep yourself, or get yourself, poor.

Saying that, I've got mates who do exactly that, because, they wouldn't trust themselves to buy an old car due to lack of knowledge, so they take the rental approach. It works for them, and many others. Provided you don't mind handing over £18,000 over 3 years only to be in the same position you started, it works great.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

‘what would be the point of jumping out to something else.‘

ULEZ?

I was quite happy with my old jalopy .
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

BMW 435D - lovely car with lots of torque and instant oomph. Pretty economical at just under 50mpg average. Pretty clean too as it uses Adblue. Can see me keeping it for a long time.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Posting as spen69:- F-35B Lightning
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Loin Cloth Lenny wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:20 pm ‘what would be the point of jumping out to something else.‘

ULEZ?

I was quite happy with my old jalopy .
The old banger is luckily compliant.

No doubt that won't last as the parameters narrow of course once the sums have been done.
RealLoughtonO
Fresh Alias

Post by RealLoughtonO »

BMW520d Touring, superb car, smooth and relatively economical at >50mpg.