Lack of goals

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Re: Lack of goals

Post by LittleMate »

35 goals from 23 games is not enough for a team top of the league. It will see us up this season (probably) but will see us back down next season. Its up to Richie to choose when to act. Probably a patch solution this window and a permanent one in the summer - when Nigel, et al, will have their purse strings tugged in a big way.

Lets not forget we have had 12 home games and something like 35,000 extra punters "attend" over last seasons average. That would have generated a war chest, even allowing for the fact that we probably invested quite heavily in the summer by our standards. The money is probably there now if Wellens finds the right personnel.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

EastDerehamO wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:39 am We’ve achieved the position we’re in without an out-and-out goalscorer who looks capable of banging in 20+ goals, for the season has been built on the best defence we’ve had in years, so in that sense I’m not worried. But some real firepower up front would undoubtedly help, and I’d suggest we’d need more in that department in L1 next season if we do get promoted.
Yes, well said.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

On paper we should already have enough firepower up front but I agree it does look like we might need something extra to help get us over the line .
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:54 am 35 goals from 23 games is not enough for a team top
What does that even mean?

Look at everyone else’s goals scored. Only 2 teams have scored more, and then only just.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I've mentioned this many times, but this lack of firepower up front is going to cost us, especially if Smyth is injured and out for a few weeks.
Hopefully a front player will be brought in during the window
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:51 pm
LittleMate wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:54 am 35 goals from 23 games is not enough for a team top

Look at everyone else’s goals scored. Only 2 teams have scored more, and then only just.
I thought you were smart - clearly smart enough to delete out the rest of my comment - so I will explain. We have the lowest number of goals for a top side in the 4 top English leagues. In the EFL the leaders have 43 and 50 goals respectively. We rely too heavily on our defence in a divison that is stingey for goals this season. League One has 6 teams that have scored as many or more than we have. Then read the rest of my original post again and you may understand the meaning a little better.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

LittleMate wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:35 pm

I thought you were smart - clearly smart enough to delete out the rest of my comment - so I will explain. We have the lowest number of goals for a top side in the 4 top English leagues. In the EFL the leaders have 43 and 50 goals respectively. We rely too heavily on our defence in a divison that is stingey for goals this season. League One has 6 teams that have scored as many or more than we have. Then read the rest of my original post again and you may understand the meaning a little better.
Not worth explaining, he’s blinkered when someone posts anything he disagrees with!
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:35 pm

Other leagues and divisions are irrelevant. You’re comparing apples and pears.

You can only look at teams in the same division who are playing against the same teams as us. You even state this division is stingey for goals yourself. Our goals scored compared to everyone else in L2 is absolutely fine.
Legend
Fresh Alias

Post by Legend »

I had the pleasure of speaking to Moncur senior Xmas day
In a pub in Loughton George was there (not drinking ) and his dad explained he is getting back to full fitness - and loves the place
There is a striker on his way for sure but don’t forget Harry Smith could now end up playing a part - we have no
Height up top to play off -
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

3rd top scorers in division with 35 goals. Only Carlisle (37) and Northampton ( 38) have scored more, Both have conceded far more than Orient

Orient have best goal difference in division by far

Orient have won more games than any other side in the division

What exactly is this worry?
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

Looks like the lack of goals wasn't a problem in the end......................
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

As Usual the moaners got it wrong again :lol: