is it time for a Republic

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: is it time for a Republic

Post by tuffers#1 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:47 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:12 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:55 pm

I suppose a good part of having a monarchy in the Uk as against a president is that it has so far prevented a dictator leader such as Putin, Hitler and various others you could name, from taking control of the UK.
Putin isn’t technically a dictator and Germany had checks and balances which Hitler got around pretty easily.
Wilhelm II, German Emperor known as ''Kaiser Bill'' abdicated in November 1918, he went into exile in the Netherlands so he was long gone from any sort of power by the time Hitler came into power. As to Putin not being a Dictator, well more like a case of judging people by their own actions !
Hitler fought for Kaiser Bill. As a result of the Humiliating defeat in the Great War , Hitler rose to Power .
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

If the monarchy was dissolved I reckon everyone would feel sick when they find out how much personal wealth they've attained at the cost of the common man
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

In 2019 when Brexit was dominating parliament, when they could not agree for a way forward, when Johnson undermined everything that May proposed in order to eventually oust her and get himself into the top job, I was wishing for the Queen to intervene and act as 'the responsible adult' as government was clearly not capable of reaching a sensible decision ...... but in the end it was clear that the Royal role was just that of a nodding puppet (even when the then PM Johnson unlawfully prorogued parliament). An elected president would be a lot cheaper and has a time limited contract of service. An elected president would also not have multiple extensive households and their heirs to keep in luxury and police protection forever more.
Last edited by E10EU on Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
E10EU
Fresh Alias

Post by E10EU »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nd-britain

The Queen even has a right to collect royalties from wind and wave power.

WHY?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:17 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:47 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:12 pm
Putin isn’t technically a dictator and Germany had checks and balances which Hitler got around pretty easily.
Wilhelm II, German Emperor known as ''Kaiser Bill'' abdicated in November 1918, he went into exile in the Netherlands so he was long gone from any sort of power by the time Hitler came into power. As to Putin not being a Dictator, well more like a case of judging people by their own actions !
Hitler fought for Kaiser Bill. As a result of the Humiliating defeat in the Great War , Hitler rose to Power .
Hitler was no fan of the royalty and he did not fight in the war for his love of the Kaiser !
Who knows, if Kaiser Bill had not been forced to abdicate, then Hitler might not have gained power. All in all, the crippling financial penalties imposed on Germany after the first world war was a major reason for the unrest and the rise of the Nazi party and the financial chaos in the world that followed the wall street crash hit Germany very hard and greatly helped Hitler and the Nazi party to gain power. America learnt the lessons of the first world war by giving massive aid to Germany and Japan after the second world war, thus helping preventing similar events happening again in those two countries. As has been said many times before ''hindsight can be a wonderful thing'' !
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

E10EU wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:36 pm In 2019 when Brexit was dominating parliament, when they could not agree for a way forward, when Johnson undermined everything that May proposed in order to eventually oust her and get himself into the top job, I was wishing for the Queen to intervene and act as 'the responsible adult' as government was clearly not capable of reaching a sensible decision ...... but in the end it was clear that the Royal role was just that of a nodding puppet (even when the then PM Johnson unlawfully prorogued parliament). An elected president would be a lot cheaper and has a time limited contract of service. An elected president would also not have multiple extensive households and their heirs to keep in luxury and police protection forever more.
I tend to agree.
Thing is many people love this outdated institution, so for the time being, it will remain and in all likelihood will become even more popular when and if William and his popular wife Kate, ascend to the throne !
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

E10EU wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:49 pm https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nd-britain

WHY?
''The Queen’s ownership of the British coastline is as old as the monarchy itself. But her right to collect royalties from wind and wave power is much more recent: it was granted by the Labour government in a 2004 act of parliament''
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Careful what you say in our democratic kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ion-events
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

At least this isn’t a time of poverty and crisis. Taking the absolute piss out of us.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/16 ... pdates/amp
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

The Reverend wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:02 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:43 pm 8-)
The Reverend wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:20 pm I feel that regardless of whatever moral or ethical argument you come up with, no matter how convincing, is completely irrelevant because if you put this to a vote there’s no way the British public would choose to remove the Monarchy.

It would also be political suicide for any party which pushed it. No major political party would support it. There’s no chance that the Conservatives would support a republic, and could you imagine the uproar if the Labour Party adopted abolishing the monarchy as a policy? Even Corbyn didn’t go that far.

Whether you like it or not, the monarchy is here to stay.
Nothing lasts forever. FACT.
That is true. But I would expect that England will have a monarch for a long time to come.

I say England because I do think there is a chance that Scotland, Wales and/or Northern Ireland could break away from the UK and the monarchy.
You do know the SNP only want to leave the political union of 1707 and not the royal settlement of 1603.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The call for a republic, if not to be achieved through violent revolution, has to come from the right. As a lefty cause, it's just too easily dismissed. If anything, lefties agitating for a republic is likely to push more people into supporting the monarchy (we do have a tendency to repulse instead of attract).

I'm also not banking on there being a left-led violent revolution that results in the overthrow of the monarchy. For some reason I just cannot see a bunch of scruffy, blue-haired land whales with "trans rights" and "Stop the War" placards being much of a threat when faced with the establishment's forces.

Lefties like me are best off staying quite on the issue, and watching for an opportunity to align themselves with a right-wing led republican campaign. Which is unlikely to ever happen, unless Charlie does or says something really stupid. Which isn't impossible.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am The call for a republic, if not to be achieved through violent revolution, has to come from the right. As a lefty cause, it's just too easily dismissed. If anything, lefties agitating for a republic is likely to push more people into supporting the monarchy (we do have a tendency to repulse instead of attract).

I'm also not banking on there being a left-led violent revolution that results in the overthrow of the monarchy. For some reason I just cannot see a bunch of scruffy, blue-haired land whales with "trans rights" and "Stop the War" placards being much of a threat when faced with the establishment's forces.

Lefties like me are best off staying quite on the issue, and watching for an opportunity to align themselves with a right-wing led republican campaign. Which is unlikely to ever happen, unless Charlie does or says something really stupid. Which isn't impossible.
Insightful but unsure why.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am The call for a republic, if not to be achieved through violent revolution, has to come from the right. As a lefty cause, it's just too easily dismissed. If anything, lefties agitating for a republic is likely to push more people into supporting the monarchy (we do have a tendency to repulse instead of attract).

If it was right led like in series 2 of original house of cards, it'd almost certainly be used as a chance by the Tories to grab more power through the introduction of a new sovereign leader (presumably a president of some kind.) Brexit has shown that any constitutional change we make will be used to to circumvent scrutiny and checks on power, and to concentrate further power through executive orders. The entire process would likely be a mess and result in something worse, the democratic system we have at the moment isn't equipped to self-limit or act in the public interest.

It's why I am reluctantly a monarchist - better the devil you know. We need to fix the voting system, house of lords and devolution first before we even think about unpicking a thousand year old institution imo. Canadian system to having a main governor general, with proper states holding actual power, works just fine.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am Lefties like me
My post-brunch latte has just been sprayed all over my Mac screen.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I'm currently tracking Charles' flight into Edinburgh on Flightradar. They're on their final runway approach and currently at 1,500ft. Still time for something to go wrong.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Landed safely. Our plans for a republic will wait.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

I'm glad it did for all our sakes after you just wrote that.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm
Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:56 am Lefties like me
My post-brunch latte has just been sprayed all over my Mac screen.
Personally I had literally no idea how many lefty monarchists were out there.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Mistadobalina wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:16 pm We need to fix the voting system, house of lords and devolution first before we even think about unpicking a thousand year old institution imo. Canadian system to having a main governor general, with proper states holding actual power, works just fine.
Agreed on the voting system. The fact that you have to be a peer to be there is wrong. Its name associates it too closely to the monarchy. I have my own ideas on our governance, but this is not the thread for it.

As for a republic. I see no need. There are always far bigger fish to fry IMO.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Despite my republican feelings, having a royal family prevents ex prime minister's having a second go at power
I'm certain Tony Blair would have run for president, as would Boris Johnson.
At least the royals keep those morons out
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

E10EU wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:49 pm https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nd-britain

WHY?
Yes and if you become a freeman of the city of London you can herd your sheep around as much chance of that happening as your weird comment.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

B.whitehouse+10more wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:23 pm

WHY?
Yes and if you become a freeman of the city of London you can herd your sheep around as much chance of that happening as your weird comment.
Does this rule also apply to chickens? Need to know before I begin the drive of my herd to Smithfield for sale
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

E10EU wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:36 pm In 2019 when Brexit was dominating parliament, when they could not agree for a way forward, when Johnson undermined everything that May proposed in order to eventually oust her and get himself into the top job, I was wishing for the Queen to intervene and act as 'the responsible adult' as government was clearly not capable of reaching a sensible decision ...... but in the end it was clear that the Royal role was just that of a nodding puppet (even when the then PM Johnson unlawfully prorogued parliament). An elected president would be a lot cheaper and has a time limited contract of service. An elected president would also not have multiple extensive households and their heirs to keep in luxury and police protection forever more.
She couldn’t get involved with politics . Oliver Cromwell saw to that centuries ago.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The Royals have influenced politics though. We now know that for certain.

Recently it came to light how they pressured the government of the time to water down the provisions in the 2002 Commonhold & Leasehold Reform Act to exempt Crown Estate and Duchy land. This is just one example of how they have actively sought to diminish our rights for the purpose of securing their own privileges and wealth.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dunners wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:27 pm The Royals have influenced politics though. We now know that for certain.

Recently it came to light how they pressured the government of the time to water down the provisions in the 2002 Commonhold & Leasehold Reform Act to exempt Crown Estate and Duchy land. This is just one example of how they have actively sought to diminish our rights for the purpose of securing their own privileges and wealth.
Any more of this radical truth telling and I suspect you are heading for a cell in the Tower next to the women with the "Not my king" placard.