Labour Watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Labour Watch

Post by Mistadobalina »

slacker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 am Don’t know about that, Dunnem. It’s true BoJo’s mob can position themselves where they want culturally and economically at GE time (and with an unprincipled charlatan like Johnson policies & soundbites can shift like the tides with bullshitting regularity) - but I was mostly referring to their staggering managerial incompetence and lies: but still 42% effectively say they don’t care about that & give them the thumbs up...
The country is in an abusive relationship with the Tories. Each time they f*ck up, massive swathes of the electorate seem to think they won't do it again, that the party will change, that it'll be different next time. And it never is. Their cronyism, their incessant craving of more power, their mendacity and vindictiveness never changes, and it keeps having the same terrible effect. You have to look to Brazil and the USA, who have absolute nutcases in charge, for a worse handling of this pandemic.

Oddly, the hope I have is that the Scots buggering off under a Tory watch will wake up some of the deluded little Englanders to the fact we are no longer a major power. That enforced lesson in humility and the loss of whatever remaining prestige we have might just be enough to have an honest conversation about where we (England) are as a country and that rewarding the same party over and over again with our trust is having a demonstrably awful impact on our lives. Or not, and we continue down this death spiral towards irrelevance, economic decline and cultural nastiness.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Mistadobalina wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:40 pm
slacker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 am Don’t know about that, Dunnem. It’s true BoJo’s mob can position themselves where they want culturally and economically at GE time (and with an unprincipled charlatan like Johnson policies & soundbites can shift like the tides with bullshitting regularity) - but I was mostly referring to their staggering managerial incompetence and lies: but still 42% effectively say they don’t care about that & give them the thumbs up...
The country is in an abusive relationship with the Tories. Each time they f*ck up, massive swathes of the electorate seem to think they won't do it again, that the party will change, that it'll be different next time. And it never is. Their cronyism, their incessant craving of more power, their mendacity and vindictiveness never changes, and it keeps having the same terrible effect. You have to look to Brazil and the USA, who have absolute nutcases in charge, for a worse handling of this pandemic.

Oddly, the hope I have is that the Scots buggering off under a Tory watch will wake up some of the deluded little Englanders to the fact we are no longer a major power. That enforced lesson in humility and the loss of whatever remaining prestige we have might just be enough to have an honest conversation about where we (England) are as a country and that rewarding the same party over and over again with our trust is having a demonstrably awful impact on our lives. Or not, and we continue down this death spiral towards irrelevance, economic decline and cultural nastiness.
Like I said above, The world at large outside this forum may well see life differently than some on here. Just maybe the people not seeing things clearly are many on this forum who pretty well made up their minds on this Government 10 minutes after the election result, then view things to fit with their own point of view.
Last edited by Dohnut on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

So to sum up. The Tories are prosecuting a vicious class war and the Labour boot lickers are, as always, assisting them.

After us Scotch have gone I would like to think things would go as you want but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To be on the safe side after independence we should budget to spend at least 25% of our GDP on defence just in case England gets up to its usual unsavoury colonial tricks.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 pm

So to sum up. The Tories are prosecuting a vicious class war and the Labour boot lickers are, as always, assisting them.

After us Scotch have gone I would like to think things would go as you want but I wouldn't hold my breath.

To be on the safe side after independence we should budget to spend at least 25% of our GDP on defence just in case England gets up to its usual unsavoury colonial tricks.
You may well find after independence that there ain’t that much money to spare in Scotland.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

:clown
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:30 pm:clown
You think!
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Dohnut wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Like I said above, The world at large outside this forum may well see life differently than some on here. Just maybe the people not seeing things clearly are many on this forum who pretty well made up their minds on this Government 10 minutes after the election result, then view things to fit with their own point of view.
They are entitled to, but you can still think it's a massive misjudgment. The deepest recession of any major economy during this crisis, one of the highest death tolls per capita in the world, highest death total in Europe. Find it funny how it's right wingers who claim to be the patriotic ones but don't seem to expect better than disaster after disaster from their government.

My view point going into the last election was that Johnson was almost uniquely ill suited to running the country because he was lazy, narcissistic and completely lacking of a vision or sense of public duty. Lo and behold, that's been proven in the most tragic way imaginable.
Confucius
Fresh Alias

Post by Confucius »

Dohnut wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 pm

You may well find after independence that there ain’t that much money to spare in Scotland.
Confucius say: “Clowns with big feet have small mind.”
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Confucius wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:45 pm
Dohnut wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Confucius say: “Clowns with big feet have small mind.”
Source?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Can someone more woke than oneself explain what "BAME owned" is doing in this Tweet?

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:59 pm Can someone more woke than oneself explain what "BAME owned" is doing in this Tweet?

Nope. It shouldn't be there as its divisive. A hallmark of the centerist identity politics fetishists.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:59 pm Can someone more woke than oneself explain what "BAME owned" is doing in this Tweet?

The right really, really do detest ethnic minority Labour mayors.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Do you need to be woke to read the link?

Your target audience are too busy getting pissy about other things on here at the moment to spot this, so I'd maybe just make it its own thread for better impact.

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 pm

Do you need to be woke to read the link?

Your target audience are too busy getting pissy about other things on here at the moment to spot this, so I'd maybe just make it its own thread for better impact.

Read the link

Doesn't explain anything beyond a couple of unreferenced one line clichés

Thanks for not trying anyway.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

The unreferenced one line cliches still answer what you needed to know. You wanted to know why it was in there, that is why. It might be a rubbish article but the reason you were looking for is mentioned, if you need the facts and stats they are out there too.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Unfortunately it doesn't answer my question though.

Looks like you've misunderstood what I was asking.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

You know how Tories sometimes use nationalistic language as its their base? I.e 'celebrate this St George's Day by...' or 'buy British' or so on? Things that Labour, Greens, Libs, anyone could use - but makes most sense for the blues, this is the same for Khan and Labour. Labour enjoy strong BAME support in London, so highlighting that as a demographic in an article that mentions it, and how that is a group he is protecting by his actions, appeals to that base and can be used when people claim they don't actually do anything to support them etc.

So basically it's in there because its a really easy little win. Or a big miss, depending on however you look at it. It's not really any deeper than that tbh.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 pm You know how Tories sometimes use nationalistic language as its their base? I.e 'celebrate this St George's Day by...' or 'buy British' or so on? Things that Labour, Greens, Libs, anyone could use - but makes most sense for the blues, this is the same for Khan and Labour. Labour enjoy strong BAME support in London, so highlighting that as a demographic in an article that mentions it, and how that is a group he is protecting by his actions, appeals to that base and can be used when people claim they don't actually do anything to support them etc.

So basically it's in there because its a really easy little win. Or a big miss, depending on however you look at it. It's not really any deeper than that tbh.
Thought so, did wonder if there was a deeper economic/demographic reason. But yeah just a dog whistle to the base
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Bit of both really. There is an economic/demographic reason, as mentioned in the cliches, but it's mostly just a bit of a performance really. But I reckon you already knew that ya silly billy! What are you like!
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

It will soon cost Sir Keir Starmer £15 to knock an innocent cyclist off his bike and then drive off without waiting for the fuzz to turn up.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:34 pm It will soon cost Sir Keir Starmer £15 to knock an innocent cyclist off his bike and then drive off without waiting for the fuzz to turn up.
Is Jeremy Corbyn OK?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:34 pm It will soon cost Sir Keir Starmer £15 to knock an innocent cyclist off his bike and then drive off without waiting for the fuzz to turn up.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lorry.html

Nah he failed last time ,
It will be someone else next time
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 pm ... its a really easy little win. Or a big miss....
I'd say that it's a divisive tactic that Labour still do not appear to have realised loses them more votes than it gains. Also, there isn't even much evidence that BAME businesses want to identify as 'BAME', as opposed to just 'businesses'.

Khan is right to be called out here, irrespective of the agendas of some of his critics.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Well yep, quite. It's just wheeling it out now - although there is a little context in the article. But I'd argue he doesn't think its divisive, I'd argue he thinks its a winning tactic. I don't think he is saying it to part people, but to cement himself as 'supporter of BAME'. It's lazy thinking but that's where the party is at.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

As if those getting upset by this are ever going to vote for him anyway.