Minneapolis

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Re: Minneapolis

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Genuine question: when someone is banned permanent, is there anything to stop them waiting a few weeks, then coming back in with a new identity?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

The protestors are playing straight into Trump's hand. They weren't supporters anyway and are predominantly large city based. The carnage they are creating and the response they are allowing him to respond with will boost Trump in the areas he needs
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:26 pm Genuine question: when someone is banned permanent, is there anything to stop them waiting a few weeks, then coming back in with a new identity?
Not really.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:26 pm Genuine question: when someone is banned permanent, is there anything to stop them waiting a few weeks, then coming back in with a new identity?
Not possible thankfully
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Back on topic- what actions or reforms could the US realistically take to appease the protesters?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

It’s a tough one to call really. The easy answer is get that scumbag before a judge, try him before his peers and let the courts decide his fate. My fairly basic grasp of their legal system is that it’s very slow and that a quick dash to judgement probably isn’t going to happen.

Re-training is certainly required and a bit of restraint is needed when dealing with people by the cops. They are very quick to pull their guns out and very quick to move to a confrontational stance, maybe as a defensive move against the person(s) they are dealing with, especially as they may be armed themselves.

Then you have the society issues of poverty, education, family unit, opportunity for all. It’s such a vast subject and so complicated it will take years to resolve.

However, the real issue in that country is racism is very real and very widespread.
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

Thor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:27 pm It’s a tough one to call really. The easy answer is get that scumbag before a judge, try him before his peers and let the courts decide his fate. My fairly basic grasp of their legal system is that it’s very slow and that a quick dash to judgement probably isn’t going to happen.

Re-training is certainly required and a bit of restraint is needed when dealing with people by the cops.
They are very quick to pull their guns out and very quick to move to a confrontational stance, maybe as a defensive move against the person(s) they are dealing with, especially as they may be armed themselves.

Then you have the society issues of poverty, education, family unit, opportunity for all. It’s such a vast subject and so complicated it will take years to resolve.

However, the real issue in that country is racism is very real and very widespread.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Thor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:27 pm It’s a tough one to call really. The easy answer is get that scumbag before a judge, try him before his peers and let the courts decide his fate. My fairly basic grasp of their legal system is that it’s very slow and that a quick dash to judgement probably isn’t going to happen.

Re-training is certainly required and a bit of restraint is needed when dealing with people by the cops. They are very quick to pull their guns out and very quick to move to a confrontational stance, maybe as a defensive move against the person(s) they are dealing with, especially as they may be armed themselves.

Eh?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

BLM want descalation and bias training for officers, sounds sensible.

Biden wants cops to aim for the legs when firing their weapons.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:38 am BLM want descalation and bias training for officers, sounds sensible.

Biden wants cops to aim for the legs when firing their weapons.
Ridiculous. How is that possible when your life is in danger?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Worryingly Biden is the only hope of getting Trump out. Another old white bloke who doesn’t really understand the issues.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Covid spikes in locations where there have been protests, according to bbc.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:09 am Covid spikes in locations where there have been protests, according to bbc.
Probably a Trump tactic to try and reduce the number of protestors.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mass gatherings to protest racism thus speeding up a virus that is more deadly for BAME people 🙄
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 am Mass gatherings to protest racism thus speeding up a virus that is more deadly for BAME people 🙄
You couldn’t make it up.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:09 am Mass gatherings to protest racism thus speeding up a virus that is more deadly for BAME people 🙄
so what do you suggest they do?
How do they quell the rage and frustration thats been building up for decades?
How do they let power know, theyre not putting up with it anymore?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Elect people who share their feelings
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am
By looting boxes and boxes of Nike trainers?
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Something about the background to these events. Lt Bob Krull is the president of the Police Officers of Minneapolis, his comments on the death so far are that Floyd was a violent criminal and that his members should get their jobs back. He is likely to be the reason they went straight to dismissal, as left to the disciplinary processes he would have had a chance to get them off.

He is the reason cite by the previous police commisioner for there being no reform of police conduct in the city. He has a long record of abuse and violence against black people and spoke at a Trump rally accusing Obama of trying to handcuff police to stop them doing their jobs. He is a regular guest on Fox News where he rails against the Democrat run city hall.

Now people are beginning to see some sort of coordination behind what is happening he is a good candidate.

Mikero
HeyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HeyO »

Mikero wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:30 pm Something about the background to these events. Lt Bob Krull is the president of the Police Officers of Minneapolis, his comments on the death so far are that Floyd was a violent criminal and that his members should get their jobs back. He is likely to be the reason they went straight to dismissal, as left to the disciplinary processes he would have had a chance to get them off.

He is the reason cite by the previous police commisioner for there being no reform of police conduct in the city. He has a long record of abuse and violence against black people and spoke at a Trump rally accusing Obama of trying to handcuff police to stop them doing their jobs. He is a regular guest on Fox News where he rails against the Democrat run city hall.

Now people are beginning to see some sort of coordination behind what is happening he is a good candidate.

Mikero
A real chancer.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:59 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:05 am
By looting boxes and boxes of Nike trainers?
idiot
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

The Floyd death is disgraceful, and is being dealt with as it should in a democracy via the legal system. Given that, and maybe my view is too simplistic, I don’t get the widespread protests, I don’t get why protestors seem to be ignoring social distancing and hence putting lives at risk, or why violence and looting is occurring. I don’t get why people over here are protesting about a crime in the U.S. or some sports stars feel the need to be photographed on one knee or to speak to the media about it. They’re entitled to of course for we pleasingly live in a free society, I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t be allowed to.

I do wonder what the popular reaction would have been if one Liverpool player had refused to join the one knee solidarity photoshoot – it wouldn’t imply that he was anything other than appalled by what happened, but I suspect many would infer that it did. That isn’t a direction in which I’d want a free society to move, and I feel that sport and politics generally don’t mix.

I’m appalled by what happened, I’m also appalled by every knife death in the East End and old ladies getting mugged on our streets, and I wonder why there aren’t mass protests about that, for it’s costing more lives. It’s never about black or white or race or religion with me, I treat everyone the same without prejudice for am against all discrimination, so whether Floyd was black or white and what colour or race the cop is, I just see it as wrong and the law is rightly playing out. If there’s some inherent problem in Minnesota, then I’m wondering why the electors of Minnesota haven’t already used their democratic power to change things for the better.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

They have used their power and elected Democrats, but the politicians are being prevented from doing anything by people who refuse to have anything to do with change.

Mikero
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

EastDerehamO wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm The Floyd death is disgraceful, and is being dealt with as it should in a democracy via the legal system. Given that, and maybe my view is too simplistic, I don’t get the widespread protests, I don’t get why protestors seem to be ignoring social distancing and hence putting lives at risk, or why violence and looting is occurring. I don’t get why people over here are protesting about a crime in the U.S. or some sports stars feel the need to be photographed on one knee or to speak to the media about it. They’re entitled to of course for we pleasingly live in a free society, I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t be allowed to.

I do wonder what the popular reaction would have been if one Liverpool player had refused to join the one knee solidarity photoshoot – it wouldn’t imply that he was anything other than appalled by what happened, but I suspect many would infer that it did. That isn’t a direction in which I’d want a free society to move, and I feel that sport and politics generally don’t mix.

I’m appalled by what happened, I’m also appalled by every knife death in the East End and old ladies getting mugged on our streets, and I wonder why there aren’t mass protests about that, for it’s costing more lives. It’s never about black or white or race or religion with me, I treat everyone the same without prejudice for am against all discrimination, so whether Floyd was black or white and what colour or race the cop is, I just see it as wrong and the law is rightly playing out. If there’s some inherent problem in Minnesota, then I’m wondering why the electors of Minnesota haven’t already used their democratic power to change things for the better.
Excellent post.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm
EastDerehamO wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:44 pm The Floyd death is disgraceful, and is being dealt with as it should in a democracy via the legal system. Given that, and maybe my view is too simplistic, I don’t get the widespread protests, I don’t get why protestors seem to be ignoring social distancing and hence putting lives at risk, or why violence and looting is occurring. I don’t get why people over here are protesting about a crime in the U.S. or some sports stars feel the need to be photographed on one knee or to speak to the media about it. They’re entitled to of course for we pleasingly live in a free society, I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t be allowed to.

Excellent post.
Not it's not. It lacks any understanding.

Maybe one reason he doesn't understand is because he isn't black and doesn't have the capacity or empathy to view the situation in a bit more depth.

As for bemoaning the lack of riots on the street when old ladies get mugged. Seriously?