Macca Bonne

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Macca Bonne

Post by Give it to Jabo »

He would have loved to serve it up to Charlton yesterday, presumably.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

gshaw wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:57 pm
BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:25 pm Christ, what is is it about Bonne? Why pin your hopes on a bloke who hasn't been cutting it for some time and RW doesn't want. There is better out there.
Question remains to be seen whether there really is at this point. If it's a choice of an unproven kid from U23s or Bonne I'd rather have a senior pro who's been around a bit.
Unfortunately that comes down to either paying 500 quid a week for an U23 kid with the parent club picking up some of the wages and paying 3k a week for a seasoned pro
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:05 am
BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:25 pm Christ, what is is it about Bonne? Why pin your hopes on a bloke who hasn't been cutting it for some time and RW doesn't want. There is better out there.
Question remains to be seen whether there really is at this point. If it's a choice of an unproven kid from U23s or Bonne I'd rather have a senior pro who's been around a bit.
Unfortunately that comes down to either paying 500 quid a week for an U23 kid with the parent club picking up some of the wages and paying 3k a week for a seasoned pro
What price scoring enough goals to consolidate in this league as it does look an area of concern.
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:19 pm Unfortunately, after 4 games when we've had just 3 shots and scored one goal, we're gonna regret not taking him back big time
Did not realise we have only had 3 shots in 4 games. That is awful. It is unfortunate that the 2 strikers we have are both on long injuries. It reminds me of last January when we lost 2 c/half’s in 1 game. Fortunately there was still time left in the transfer time to find recruits as is the case this time. However the fact that we needed a goal scorer this time last year we should have recruited someone last January.Drinan was injured at the start of last season and in my eyes never recovered. Any good striker is already under contract which means we will have to pay money we don’t have. Loan strikers are a risk.
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

3k per week?! You'll be lucky....more like double that.
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

gshaw wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:08 am

What price scoring enough goals to consolidate in this league as it does look an area of concern.
We have to consider the FFP, not to mention we have pretty much reached the budget of £3.7m. That's a lot of money put in.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

There’s no point spoiling the ship for happerth of tar.
It’s unfortunate that Agyei is effectively out for most of the season. There’s now a big question mark against Drinan, after last season and now this latest set back.
We need some quality upfront, two quality/experienced strikers.
Another Wareham/loanee from a Prem club isn’t going to cut it.
We will have to spend that Jan budget now, unless we want to struggle down the bottom. Ain’t even got Nkrumah to give a run out.
It has to be done, get Macca and Armstrong in if we are serious about this season.
North Stand Dave
Fresh Alias

Post by North Stand Dave »

Bonne is on about £15,000 a week (or was)
Ling hinted at this when he said on the podcast back in February "Bonne is on 5 times more wages than the players are on here".
So with the average here last season being £2,500 - £3,000 that sounds about right.
I did hear he was prepared to take a wage cut as he only lives in Ipswich & didn't want to commute very far but he obviously hasn't taken to much of a wage cut otherwise I'm sure we would of got him...Big Shame as we definitely need him.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

I wonder if there are other players of Bonnes quality in a similar position? Seems crazy he hasn't got a club.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Max Fowler wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:09 pm I wonder if there are other players of Bonnes quality in a similar position? Seems crazy he hasn't got a club.
Thats because he's overvalued by this board for his previous endeavours at our club. He's either over-valuing himself based on his QPR contract (where he largely failed) or being judged on his record since the start of 2022 since when most defenders that play regularly score more frequently than him. He's just not been seen as value for money by anyone in the league system right now. I don't know if thats right or wrong, but those are the facts.

What we don't know is what happens on the training ground. I'm told by a Charlton mate that he sulked when pshed out of the team, then the squad. Managers and footballers talk in their own communities about this sort of stuff. :roll:
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

LittleMate wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:50 pm
Max Fowler wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:09 pm I wonder if there are other players of Bonnes quality in a similar position? Seems crazy he hasn't got a club.
Thats because he's overvalued by this board for his previous endeavours at our club. He's either over-valuing himself based on his QPR contract (where he largely failed) or being judged on his record since the start of 2022 since when most defenders that play regularly score more frequently than him. He's just not been seen as value for money by anyone in the league system right now. I don't know if thats right or wrong, but those are the facts.

What we don't know is what happens on the training ground. I'm told by a Charlton mate that he sulked when pshed out of the team, then the squad. Managers and footballers talk in their own communities about this sort of stuff. :roll:
this is essentially true, although he has had a lot of good offers (including from us), but hasn't accepted any yet. As an accomplished striker at this level (which he is) who is close to his peak in age terms, he's betting that he can extract a better offer from someone as some clubs start to get a bit more nervous as August goes on. It's a game of chicken, and who is to say he's wrong?
Leyton53
Fresh Alias

Post by Leyton53 »

He’s training with Gillingham. His wage expectations certainly will have to reduce, if he is to sign for them, or another club.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Leyton53 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:24 pm He’s training with Gillingham. His wage expectations certainly will have to reduce, if he is to sign for them, or another club.
They’re throwing money around for fun, they can afford him
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Yet they still haven’t signed him 🤔
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

That’s because Lingy has invited him over for a coffee tomorrow morning.
🤞
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

That’s def not true, as Mac Bonne is not a coffee ☕️ drinker 😉
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

If he's training with the Gills then they are trying before they ae buying. Macca will be staying locally - he won't be travelling from the Ipswich area to train each day.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

I wish he'd hurry up and sign a bloody contract somewhere so we can put this topic to bed.
Neptune's Spear
Fresh Alias

Post by Neptune's Spear »

If he hasn't got a club and is still training with Gillingham in 2 weeks time, will he grab whatever the Gills offer him ?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Sounds like Gillingham are in pole position.

If he's genuinely just looking for a club to train with to keep fit, it's crazy he's not with us or even Col Utd given his location and history with both clubs.
Old Bloke
Fresh Alias

Post by Old Bloke »

Apparently had a medical at Gillingham and his signing is expected to announced tonight at their game.
B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

Old Bloke wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:18 pm Apparently had a medical at Gillingham and his signing is expected to announced tonight at their game.
Thank God for that 😀😀
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Yep we can officially lock this post now 👍
Leyton53
Fresh Alias

Post by Leyton53 »

Signs for Gillingham.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Oh how we could have done with him yesterday..