Israel

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BoniO
Regular
Regular

Re: Israel

Post by BoniO »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:57 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:33 pm Very strongly worded statement from Biden on the latest attack:

Overnight, Israel launched its largest aerial assault on Gaza since this war began. This massive bombardment used drones and missiles, including missiles with hypersonic capability, to strike cities and civilian infrastructure all across Palestine. Strikes reportedly hit a maternity hospital, a shopping mall, and residential areas—killing innocent people and injuring dozens more. It is a stark reminder to the world that, after nearly three months of this devastating war, Netenyahu’s objective remains unchanged. He seeks to obliterate Palestine and subjugate its people. He must be stopped.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... n-ukraine/
Not sure if deliberate as I don’t see the 🦅
It's deliberate. He had to change the words to fit. Probably been on the sauce - is my most accommodating suggestion.
CEB

Post by CEB »

He had to change the words to fit it *not* being an Eagle?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Jeanluc wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:59 pm Not sure what point you're trying to make here - posting a Biden statement about the latest Russian attack on Ulraine on the Israel thread. Are you suggesting that Israel and Russia are interchangeable? If so, please explain why we've been subjected to a barrage of pro-Palestinian protests since October 7th - some of them highly inflamatory and intimidating particularly to Jews yet where are the bleeding heart protests against Russia? If you don't know where their embassy is it's at 6/7 Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QP.
There have been some highly inflammatory and intimidating posts on this topic, I agree. Especially the ones about having no sympathy for the murdered civillians.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Calm down, FTC is mulling the whole thorny issue over. It’s quite tricky to work out whether or not it’s appropriate for a moderator of a message board to say he has no sympathy for murdered civilians and to then arbitrate on the pushback he gets for it. Especially when the optimum outcome is the one where nothing needs to change and where he doesn’t have to risk pulling up Caca, who would have a massive sulk if he was pulled up by him.

If I had to try to work out a way to seem affable while saying “sorry, I guess the moderator here does get to arbitrate the backlash to his own inflammatory posts about dead civilians”, I think it’d take me a while too.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I expect he has better things to do with his xmas break.

Pretty sure I'm allowed an opinion whilst running this place.

Like Nigel i welcome pushback, if you hadnt been abusive, you'd not have been banned.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

CEB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:09 pm Calm down, FTC is mulling the whole thorny issue over. It’s quite tricky to work out whether or not it’s appropriate for a moderator of a message board to say he has no sympathy for murdered civilians and to then arbitrate on the pushback he gets for it. Especially when the optimum outcome is the one where nothing needs to change and where he doesn’t have to risk pulling up Caca, who would have a massive sulk if he was pulled up by him.

If I had to try to work out a way to seem affable while saying “sorry, I guess the moderator here does get to arbitrate the backlash to his own inflammatory posts about dead civilians”, I think it’d take me a while too.
Before you get all condescending in your criticism, can you acknowledge that irrespective of whatever went on in preceding years, Israel did not instigate this mess and that 7 October was solely at the hands of Hamas. There are still 200 hostages held . From what I have read here in recent weeks the moderators have been fair and nothing justifies liberally using the ‘c’ word.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I don’t think I’ve seen anything funnier on this board than the people pretending to be upset by an asterisked swear word.

Caca - not interested in your take, mate. You do what you like; I’m interested in FTC’s eventual response. You’re just a small man who happily stated you have almost zero sympathy for dead Palestinians, and despite the sideshow of others joining in, the fact of the matter is you weren’t a big enough man to say “I probably shouldn’t have said that”, which is why FTC is in an awkward position.

Daily Express Bot - lol at “forget everything that happened before the 7th October”, and a bigger lol at flowing so seamlessly from 200 hostages into “therefore moderation about right”
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Daily Express bot wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:01 pm
CEB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:09 pm Calm down, FTC is mulling the whole thorny issue over. It’s quite tricky to work out whether or not it’s appropriate for a moderator of a message board to say he has no sympathy for murdered civilians and to then arbitrate on the pushback he gets for it. Especially when the optimum outcome is the one where nothing needs to change and where he doesn’t have to risk pulling up Caca, who would have a massive sulk if he was pulled up by him.

Before you get all condescending in your criticism, can you acknowledge that irrespective of whatever went on in preceding years, Israel did not instigate this mess and that 7 October was solely at the hands of Hamas. There are still 200 hostages held . From what I have read here in recent weeks the moderators have been fair and nothing justifies liberally using the ‘c’ word.
How can you be so dismissive of the history of why we're here now
You really do need to get on your laptop and look up some history of Palestine/Israel.
Whats going on now, is because of whats been going on before, for over 75 years
Hamas didnt form until 1987, thats almost 40 years after Israel declared itself a state. So for 40 years, the Palestinian people were ethnically cleansed, were brutalised on a daily basis, had their land and property stolen from them, were humiliated on a daily basis, without any organised resistance, until Hamas came along.
There would be no need for Hamas, if Israel didn't do, the things it does, and has been doing for 75+ years
Please dont dismiss, so easily, what went before October 7th
CEB

Post by CEB »

^ Daily Express Bot being so utterly moronic that he’s almost put ComeonyouOs in the right.

Unfortunately then ComeonyouOs had to be an even bigger moron by seeming to actually be a Hamas supporter.

Man, the heightened emotions on this thread… it’s a good thing that the moderators don’t inflame things
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:12 pm
Daily Express bot wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:01 pm

How can you be so dismissive of the history of why we're here now
You really do need to get on your laptop and look up some history of Palestine/Israel.
Whats going on now, is because of whats been going on before, for over 75 years
Hamas didnt form until 1987, thats almost 40 years after Israel declared itself a state. So for 40 years, the Palestinian people were ethnically cleansed, were brutalised on a daily basis, had their land and property stolen from them, were humiliated on a daily basis, without any organised resistance, until Hamas came along.
There would be no need for Hamas, if Israel didn't do, the things it does, and has been doing for 75+ years
Please dont dismiss, so easily, what went before October 7th
I am trying to focus on current most recent events , I’m not dismissive of preceding years but events of 7 October has directly led to the slaughter of innocent victims on both sides especially Palestinians whilst at the same time hostages are held as bartering pawns. Hamas have achieved very little so far and are likely to be eradicated.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

CEB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:15 pm ^ Daily Express Bot being so utterly moronic that he’s almost put ComeonyouOs in the right.

Unfortunately then ComeonyouOs had to be an even bigger moron by seeming to actually be a Hamas supporter.

Man, the heightened emotions on this thread… it’s a good thing that the moderators don’t inflame things
No, I dont support Hamas, but I understand why they exist
CEB

Post by CEB »

“I’m not dismissive of preceding years, however the rest of my post will act for all intents and purposes as if 7th October 2023 is the only point in time from where any analysis should begin”
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:11 pm I don’t think I’ve seen anything funnier on this board than the people pretending to be upset by an asterisked swear word.

Caca - not interested in your take, mate. You do what you like; I’m interested in FTC’s eventual response. You’re just a small man who happily stated you have almost zero sympathy for dead Palestinians, and despite the sideshow of others joining in, the fact of the matter is you weren’t a big enough man to say “I probably shouldn’t have said that”, which is why FTC is in an awkward position.

Daily Express Bot - lol at “forget everything that happened before the 7th October”, and a bigger lol at flowing so seamlessly from 200 hostages into “therefore moderation about right”
I might have said that if you and conkles hadn't just jumped straight in calling me a c***. Barely had a chance and then you refuse to discuss the matter.

As has been said, emotions are running high on this topic but you disregarded the context in which my post was made.

I expect ftc does not agree with my post, so what? Why should I be punished?

I bet you won't answer this.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I don’t think I’ve called for you to be punished. I’ve requested clarity onto whether you should get to arbitrate on the pushback you get for an inflammatory post.

By all means edit your original post to say “I shouldn’t have said that”, or just say it here. “Barely had a chance” is, as you know, weaselly BS - you latched onto the pushback as “abusive” despite you being (despite the moronic cheerleaders and brown nosing) perfectly able to handle an insult, because it was easier for you to use the mod panel than to back down with “ah. I might have picked the wrong thing to be a contrarian about here”

“I bet you won’t answer this”

Here’s what I want - I want your post removed, ideally by you, recognising that it was needlessly inflammatory. Once inflammatory posts - even by moderators - are subject to being independently assessed and removed if they are likely to escalate, then I’ll accept that there’s no need for strong language.
Do that, and not only won’t I call you a c***, I’ll think you’re less of one, too.

Leave it up, and you’ll still be putting FTC in a difficult position, and I will continue referring to you as the “person” who has almost zero sympathy for Palestinian civilians - and you’ll know exactly what I think of you.

And maybe, if FTC doesn’t remove it, the result will end up being that I leave the board because on balance, I don’t want to be on a board where a mod says crap like that then cries foul when he’s called a c***. And you can lap up the congratulations from a few idiots.

So maybe, man up, admit your mistake, and it saves FTC from having to mediate, it saves me from a perma ban, and it saves you from having to risk either having it removed anyway or winning a battle where, if you’re honest with yourself, you know you’ve acted like a c***

Over to you.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

CEB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:41 pm I don’t think I’ve called for you to be punished. I’ve requested clarity onto whether you should get to arbitrate on the pushback you get for an inflammatory post.

By all means edit your original post to say “I shouldn’t have said that”, or just say it here. “Barely had a chance” is, as you know, weaselly BS - you latched onto the pushback as “abusive” despite you being (despite the moronic cheerleaders and brown nosing) perfectly able to handle an insult, because it was easier for you to use the mod panel than to back down with “ah. I might have picked the wrong thing to be a contrarian about here”

“I bet you won’t answer this”

Here’s what I want - I want your post removed, ideally by you, recognising that it was needlessly inflammatory. Once inflammatory posts - even by moderators - are subject to being independently assessed and removed if they are likely to escalate, then I’ll accept that there’s no need for strong language.
Do that, and not only won’t I call you a c***, I’ll think you’re less of one, too.

Leave it up, and you’ll still be putting FTC in a difficult position, and I will continue referring to you as the “person” who has almost zero sympathy for Palestinian civilians - and you’ll know exactly what I think of you.

And maybe, if FTC doesn’t remove it, the result will end up being that I leave the board because on balance, I don’t want to be on a board where a mod says crap like that then cries foul when he’s called a c***. And you can lap up the congratulations from a few idiots.

So maybe, man up, admit your mistake, and it saves FTC from having to mediate, it saves me from a perma ban, and it saves you from having to risk either having it removed anyway or winning a battle where, if you’re honest with yourself, you know you’ve acted like a c***

Over to you.
Not much of a negotiating skill offering not to call someone a ‘c’ word with veiled demands. Without wishing to inflame the situation if any a definition of one was needed to explain the same to a recently arrived Martian , you are doing a great job at providing an example. Ultimately, I cannot understand your anger , it is not as though you are so personally affected. What is your issue, how about calming down ?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Thanks for your insight, brains, but I’m not negotiating; I’m maintaining a position, which is that ideally Caca resolves this himself, otherwise I will await Admin’s eventual decision about the best way forward.

This is what you seem to misunderstand. I’m not fighting for my right to call Caca anything. I’m saying that I won’t be on a board where someone can say what he did and not be called what I called him. Either Caca removes the comment, or he ends up perma banning me, or Admin steps in with a solution that mediates the whole thing.

Ideally the outcome will be that Caca or Admin recognises that saying “I have almost zero sympathy for dead Palestinians” is inflammatory enough to warrant it being removed.
If not, then I will simply take my leave of this board on the basis that if this is a place where comments like that are allowed, yet calling the commenter a rude word is beyond the pale, then I don’t want to be here.

You seem unable to comprehend that willingly leaving a messageboard on a point of principle is fine with me; a board that eventually removes inflammatory comments is one where I feel pretty sure I can avoid a perma ban; a board where comments like Caca’s are allowed, is one where I’d be calling him rude words too often for it to be worth me sticking around. So hopefully Caca will do the decent thing, but if he doesn’t, I don’t care, I’ll wait for whatever FTC eventually says, then decide whether to leave or not.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its been explained that i am often the only person moderating on here. If possible, I won't arbitrate on posts against me in future. However, yours and conkles posts were a clear rule break. You should accept this is a forum for fans of a lower league football club and not a court or shining beacon of legal fairness.

I think its fair to ban you if you call me a c*** , perhaps pomposly i expect a little respect. Im very lenient really. I don't abuse my power. I would have happily debated my post.

I wish i had worded my post differently, its an emotive subject, i had just read some distressing material and was still figuring out my feelings.

I'm not going to remove the post. Why do you care where my sympathies lie? I don't see why that is so offensive to you. I think you should accept this is a forum with a range of views and you dont get to stamp your feet until you get your own way.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:34 pm Its been explained that i am often the only person moderating on here. If possible, I won't arbitrate on posts against me in future. However, yours and conkles posts were a clear rule break. You should accept this is a forum for fans of a lower league football club and not a court or shining beacon of legal fairness.

I think its fair to ban you if you call me a c*** , perhaps pomposly i expect a little respect. Im very lenient really. I don't abuse my power. I would have happily debated my post.

I wish i had worded my post differently, its an emotive subject, i had just read some distressing material and was still figuring out my feelings.

I'm not going to remove the post. Why do you care where my sympathies lie? I don't see why that is so offensive to you. I think you should accept this is a forum with a range of views and you dont get to stamp your feet until you get your own way.
“I wish I had worded my post differently”

Then please reword it according to how you would prefer to articulate yourself, and apologise for jumping in with an inflammatory post before you’d worked out what you think about it

“I’m not going to remove the post”
Then I stand by what I think about the person writing that post, and will eventually end up with a perma ban if Admin doesn’t remove the post instead.

“I think it’s fine to ban you if you call me a ****”
I don’t think I’ve ever expressed an objection to being banned; I’ve expressed an objection to you arbitrating on the backlash to your own inflammatory posting. My position is that I recognise that me being perma banned is one potential outcome here, and ideally you would be man enough to actually delete the offending post, but if not we’ll await Admin’s clarification on the issue.

“Why do you care where my sympathies lie”
I don’t. However anyone who says they have no “almost zero sympathy for dead Palestinians” is someone who is being inflammatory, so my position remains that inflammatory posting is inappropriate for a moderator, especially if the moderator then arbitrates the pushback.

“ I think you should accept this is a forum with a range of views and you dont get to stamp your feet until you get your own way.”

Oh I do, it’s simply that if the range of acceptable views extends one way to “I have almost zero sympathy for dead Palestinians”, then I believe that it should extend the other way to “a person saying such things is a ****”

And if it doesn’t extend to that? Well then my belief will have led me to leave the board, and you can continue moderating, safe in the knowledge that everyone knows that you’ve positioned yourself above reproach even for posts you know are unacceptable.

The fact of the matter is, despite your claims that you were up for debating, you went straight for the ban hammer when Conkles called you out in his initial reaction, when you could have said “I don’t understand - why are you reacting so strongly?”. Instead, you unwisely conflated your contrarian schtick with indignance at getting an angry response on an emotive issue, and doubled and tripled down rather than stopping to think

“hmmm, have I moderated this incident well?”
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I don't believe in editing posts.

I didn't use the word 'dead' either. You're being 'inflammatory' with this inaccuracy. Why is my post inflammatory if you don't care about my sympathies? Its unacceptable because you are not in agreement?

My post was just an opinion, yours was abuse.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Who gets to decide what is inflammatory or not? Or call for a post they don't like to be removed (aka censorship)?

For something to be inflammatory implies some kind of intent - to be offensive, to aggravate, or similar. I don't see that in what LSN said, I think he has explained why he said what he said.
CEB

Post by CEB »

faldO wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:03 pm Who gets to decide what is inflammatory or not? Or call for a post they don't like to be removed (aka censorship)?

For something to be inflammatory implies some kind of intent - to be offensive, to aggravate, or similar. I don't see that in what LSN said, I think he has explained why he said what he said.

I’m not interested in your opinion. And I’ve made my position clear, and I’m perfectly comfortable with leaving the board if Admin decides that Caca’s post is A-OK.

Thanks for the laugh at the idea that it’s bizarre to think Caca!! Of all people!!!! would ever be “aggravating”, though :clown
CEB

Post by CEB »

“I don't believe in editing posts.”

Then we are at an impasse, and await Admin’s intervention.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:12 pm
faldO wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:03 pm Who gets to decide what is inflammatory or not? Or call for a post they don't like to be removed (aka censorship)?

I’m not interested in your opinion. And I’ve made my position clear, and I’m perfectly comfortable with leaving the board if Admin decides that Caca’s post is A-OK.

Thanks for the laugh at the idea that it’s bizarre to think Caca!! Of all people!!!! would ever be “aggravating”, though :clown
Its a shame you refuse to discuss the details.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Whilst I think your comments were unnecessarily callous, CEB doesn’t care about their content. He wants to be proven ‘right’ and be validated. The ban obviously cut deep and the lengthy posts about his ‘position’ all translate to , “I’m right, you’re wrong and I want someone to validate that”.

Why doesn’t everyone move on?
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

As it is New Year tomorrow can we not have a truce and draw line under it? The irony is so that the thread calls for ceasefire in Israel yet cannot agree on a little forum. Shows how difficult it is on bigger scale. Have a technical across the board New Year’s ‘peace handshake’.
Could let off some computer doves of peace even then carry on? The war in Israel will ravage on for ages yet, especially whilst the evil Hamas retain the innocent hostages. Can only hope and pray for no more innocent lives to be lost.