Who made the decision to appoint Paul Terry?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Who made the decision to appoint Paul Terry?

Post by Dunners »

I'm really struggling to get my head around this reaction.
  • Paul Terry is rumoured to have had an affair with a teammate’s wife. Nasty thing to do if true, but is happening every second of the day all over the world.
  • Said teammate is reported to have been depressed around that time, possibly due to an injury (in part at least).
  • Teammate was clearly in a distressed state, and tragically took his own life. This is an extreme and rare thing to do, and would not have been envisaged.
  • Paul Terry gambled, and possibly in a dodgy way (I have no idea about this, but then it's not exactly unheard of in the game either).
Therefore, based on all the above, he is a scum bag, and his mere presence at Orient risks ruining our reputation as a family club. And some people are even so incensed by the whole thing that they’re not going to go to games anymore.

Have I got this right?
Last edited by Dunners on Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I can accept the What About Putin, Otto, Archibald, Boyd comments.

But don’t you dare bring Jezza into this.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:52 am I'm really struggling to get my head around this reaction.
  • Paul Terry is rumoured to have had an affair with a teammate’s wife. Nasty thing to do if true, but is happening every second of the day all over the world.
  • Said teammate is reported to have been depressed around that time, possibly due to an injury (in part at least).
  • Teammate was clearly in a distressed state, and tragically took his own life. This is an extreme and rare thing to do, and would not have been envisaged.
  • Paul Terry gambled, and possibly in a dodgy way (I have no idea about this, but then it's not exactly unheard of in the game either).
Therefore, based on all the above, he is a scum bag, and his mere presence at Orient risks ruining our reputation as a family club. And some people are even so incensed by the whole thing that they’re not going to go to games anymore.

Have I got this right?
You left out the hair weave.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Nothing like a good old moral debate to get the MB up and running again. Congrats to all involved - some truly excellent work in the last 24 hours.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Admin wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:00 am Nothing like a good old moral debate to get the MB up and running again. Congrats to all involved - some truly excellent work in the last 24 hours.
What about the victim?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Paddy
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy »

Long slender neck wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 am
He actually managed to make this about him as well. Very impressive!
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Brilliant.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Dunners wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:52 am I'm really struggling to get my head around this reaction.

Have I got this right?
No you have not. She wasn't his wife.

Also, and even if the "affair" did happen, who is anyone to judge what goes on between 2 out of 3 people.

Let's imagine that person A is in a relationship with person B, and then person B allegedly "cheats" on that relationship with person C.

What possible scenarios might be in play here?

1) It's not true and the "cheating" didn't occur
2) It is true but it's because person A was cruel and vicious towards person B and drove them into the arms of person C
3) It is true but it's because person A was so wrapped up in themselves that they neglected person B and drove them into the arms of person C
4) It is true but it's because person A thought they may be gay and so neglected person B and drove them into the arms of person C
5) It is true but it's because person C was predatory and had plotted to steal person B away from person A at their lowest ebb
6) It is true but it's because person B was a sexaholic and jumped on the first person they saw who happened to be person C
7) Persons B and C were drunk one night and did something they regretted and didn't do it again

....and about a million other possibilities - none of which are any of our business

And none of us know which it was, yet everyone's sitting there in a froth of righteous indignation pronouncing great moral turpitude on a stranger to make themselves feel better. Great, well done you, we all know you're upstanding and saintly.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Paul Terry.

Post by tuffers#1 »

Story of O wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:55 am Sadly affairs happen all the time. I wonder how many of our former players have been naughty boys and strayed. And are we going to stop listening to our favourite music, watching our favourite films and reading our favourite authors if we find out they have had affairs?
if someone commits suicide reasonably quickly afterward id say yes, even more so if they were trying to knick others songs or some other cheating scandal .
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:23 am

Have I got this right?

Also, and even if the "affair" did happen, who is anyone to judge what goes on between 2 out of 3 people.

Let's imagine that person A is in a relationship with person B, and then person B allegedly "cheats" on that relationship with person C.

2) It is true but it's because person A was cruel and vicious towards person B and drove them into the arms of person C
3) It is true but it's because person A was so wrapped up in themselves that they neglected person B and drove them into the arms of person C
4) It is true but it's because person A thought they may be gay and so neglected person B and drove them into the arms of person C
5) It is true but it's because person C was predatory and had plotted to steal person B away from person A at their lowest ebb
6) It is true but it's because person B was a sexaholic and jumped on the first person they saw who happened to be person C
7) Persons B and C were drunk one night and did something they regretted and didn't do it again

....and about a million other possibilities - none of which are any of our business

And none of us know which it was, yet everyone's sitting there in a froth of righteous indignation pronouncing great moral turpitude on a stranger to make themselves feel better. Great, well done you, we all know you're upstanding and saintly.
Thanks for putting my right on a point I was unsure of.

It's almost as if life is complicated and simplistic reactions to events of which we do not know all the facts are not a good idea.
Mightynewsman
Fresh Alias

Re: The Terry boycott

Post by Mightynewsman »

What a ridiculous to boycott
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Have I got this right?

Is person C Michael Barrymore?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dunners wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:24 am
tuffers#1 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:22 am 1 of my mates was going to pull some dog years ago.
Yeah. If only the rest of the world had the same high moral standards as tuffers.
anyone who tries to sleep with someone who they no is married is a dog in my book. You should try raising your morals a bit, its a lot fresher up here !
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:24 am
Admin wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:55 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Why did Terry decide on staying on His Sofa ?

If he had slept on someone elses then The Kid might still be alive & you cant prove anything different .
And neither can you prove he’d still be alive if he hadn’t. As has been said already, we know nothing about Dale Robert’s mental state.

I’m no fan of the Terry’s but there’s plenty of instances where affairs have taken place. I doubt very much it’d ever cross anyone’s mind that the wronged party would commit suicide.
Completely agree. Finding the reaction over the top to this really. In the last decade we signed someone who was jailed for attempting to attack a witness who secured the conviction of two murderers. Didn't Ricky Otto sign for us after doing time for armed robbery?

People have affairs, 99.9% of the time doesn't end as tragically as it did with Roberts. And it's only cause of that that we know about the affair at all. God knows how many players and staff we've had who have done something similar over the years.

Tacking on the gambling stuff - which is endemic in the game - as proof that the guy is so morally bankrupt that this has poisoned the club is a bit of a reach.
never wanted omozusi at the club & Otto had paid his debt to society .
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Have I got this right?

Someone likes putting it about.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Have I got this right?

Some of us have info from 2 family members ,1 a cousin of his 1 from a very similar place ! JE soon got shot of him at R&D !
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Many people like putting it about.

I'm quite sure many folk will have been person A (knowingly or unknowingly), person B, or person C (or even all three) at some point in their lives. Every single combination of people and time is entirely unique.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Suicides are the 2nd highest reason for people under 60 dying. Around 5000 people in this age group annually.

There are so many unknown factors for people to take there lives, where family around had no idea of issues. As I am sadly aware.

I do not feel that it is appropriate to blame something that was denied on a suicide. Very few people are able to do so and unless there was a possibility and his GP would have asked, then there cannot be any blame attached.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Stop being sensible
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

tuffers#1 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:30 am
Dunners wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:24 am
tuffers#1 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:22 am 1 of my mates was going to pull some dog years ago.
Yeah. If only the rest of the world had the same high moral standards as tuffers.
anyone who tries to sleep with someone who they no is married is a dog in my book. You should try raising your morals a bit, its a lot fresher up here !
Agreed but pulling a dog? Is that even legal?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Superb. We're really missing his perspective on the Russia Ukraine thread. Imagine the insight he could offer into the siege conditions in Mariupol based on his evening in the slammer.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

It's always the people that tell us cancel culture isn't real isn't it?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:53 am
Superb. We're really missing his perspective on the Russia Ukraine thread. Imagine the insight he could offer into the siege conditions in Mariupol based on his evening in the slammer.
Mungo cant help but think he is something important
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

I don't want him 'cancelled', whatever that means, I just don't want him as 2nd in charge at my football club.