OFFICIAL: Lincoln game to be replayed

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: OFFICIAL: Lincoln game to be replayed

Post by Daily Express bot »

We should just get on with the match , hopefully win it , relish the three points as a fitting tribute to Mr Reynolds and his family and friends thereby drawing a line under this unfortunate situation and move onwards.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

From an ‘integrity’ point of view I can’t see any argument as to why playing 90 mins so fairer than playing the renaming 10 but we are where we are
CEB
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:44 am From an ‘integrity’ point of view I can’t see any argument as to why playing 90 mins so fairer than playing the renaming 10 but we are where we are
Here’s the argument: playing the last ten minutes at a later date is in practice very different from the last ten minutes of a match being completed as normal: the momentum, flow of the game, atmosphere, performance level, fatigue level, are all completely different and so in no real sense is it a meaningful conclusion to the actual game, it is a contrivance.
Therefore, replaying the game in its entirety gives both teams the opportunity to fulfil a complete football match, played fully on one day.
The hyperfocus on a one goal advantage - and their desire to keep that advantage - is blinding people to the fact that after the match is abandoned, the conclusion of the match will not reflect how it would have concluded.

It’s just a game, and a replay is not unduly unfair on anyone.

God I would love it if we lose the replay 1-0, just so I can see everyone here lose their sh*t
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Still think the ideal is for the game to be completed the following day, whether behind closed doors or not, as they do on the continent. As CEB points out, that still alters things like momentum etc but it's probably the fairest way IMHO as there's less likely to be stark changes to people's fitness, team lineups etc. If you don't do that straight away, it becomes impractical to do it at a later date so replaying is, however dissatisfying, the only real option.

For all people are saying we would've just conceded the game if the roles were reversed, I very, very much doubt that and our fans would be very vocal in pointing out there was still potentially another 15 mins including stoppages for us to have changed the result. People seem to be pretending no-one scores late goals.
CEB
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by CEB »

Yeah - if anything, that’s the protocol that’s most important to actually fix. If a game is abandoned, have it completed that evening or the following day begins closed doors, with a plan for refunds for fans
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:48 am
For all people are saying we would've just conceded the game if the roles were reversed, I very, very much doubt that and our fans would be very vocal in pointing out there was still potentially another 15 mins including stoppages for us to have changed the result. People seem to be pretending no-one scores late goals.
Wouldn't have had the opportunity, I'm certain the EFL would've used the same "sporting integrity" line and awarded the win to Lincoln
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Is Mark Kennedy allowed to be in charge ?
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

gshaw wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:47 pm
Wouldn't have had the opportunity, I'm certain the EFL would've used the same "sporting integrity" line and awarded the win to Lincoln
The EFL hate us that much?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Story of O wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:02 pm
gshaw wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:47 pm
The EFL hate us that much?
Apparently Chris Kamara is calling all the shots, so I reckon so.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

CEB wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:30 am
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:44 am From an ‘integrity’ point of view I can’t see any argument as to why playing 90 mins so fairer than playing the renaming 10 but we are where we are
Here’s the argument: playing the last ten minutes at a later date is in practice very different from the last ten minutes of a match being completed as normal: the momentum, flow of the game, atmosphere, performance level, fatigue level, are all completely different and so in no real sense is it a meaningful conclusion to the actual game, it is a contrivance.
Therefore, replaying the game in its entirety gives both teams the opportunity to fulfil a complete football match, played fully on one day.
The hyperfocus on a one goal advantage - and their desire to keep that advantage - is blinding people to the fact that after the match is abandoned, the conclusion of the match will not reflect how it would have concluded.

It’s just a game, and a replay is not unduly unfair on anyone.

God I would love it if we lose the replay 1-0, just so I can see everyone here lose their sh*t
You think all those things aren’t things you listed aren’t comply different 6 weeks later regardless of how many minutes you play?

The hyper focus on the one goal advantage is because it was an advantage. Dismissing that advantage after 90% of the game was played is strange. Almost as strange as that last comment
CEB
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by CEB »

All those things *are* completely different. Which is exactly why it’s fairer to play the whole match. Because of the integrity of the *league* not just some orient fan with a vague assumption that we would have seen out the victory,
I’m bored of this now though. By all means carry on moaning
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Still haven’t explained why replayed 90 mins rather than 10 is more integral to the *league* but if you’ve got a game to ref, fair enough
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:53 pm Still haven’t explained why replayed 90 mins rather than 10 is more integral to the *league* but if you’ve got a game to ref, fair enough
They don’t need to. The rules are the rules.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Is there any precedent for playing part of an abandoned match here in the UK? I know abandoned matches are usually replayed in full, but is there any history of part matches being played on a different date here?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:21 pm
Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:53 pm Still haven’t explained why replayed 90 mins rather than 10 is more integral to the *league* but if you’ve got a game to ref, fair enough
CEB won’t like being referred to as They
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:26 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:21 pm
CEB won’t like being referred to as They
Sorry, I should have assumed gender
CEB
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by CEB »

I’ve literally explained repeatedly. You don’t agree and that’s fine.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Oh ok. As you’ve explained.