Club announcement re Racist comments

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Re: Club announcement re Racist comments

Post by A Pedant »

BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pm Not going to prolong this, but it seems strange that a board member of the Leyton Orient Fans Trust, is unconcerned that his views don't tally with most of the, ahem, Fans.
What are the views of most fans? Genuine question, because we've got 31 likes (at the time of writing) to this on Twitter against only one snarky response, and on here there's the usual contrarianism going on. You are free to disagree with our stance on this, but I see nothing that says we're going against the prevailing view. I suspect most fans don't care whatsoever what we say here (no change there then, I hear some cry. :D ).
BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pmAlso, poor that a reasoned criticism is just regarded as just a fan going all "grr, Loft". This sounds a tad distant and arrogant. You're not doing yourselves any favours here.
That was directed generally to those who've gone all "grr, LOFT" at us on this board and its predecessors for the past 20+ years. I wasn't saying you were, apologies if it came across that way.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:54 pm We’ve been here before. Loft have made their call a long time ago.

So long as nothing racist is said, general abuse of the opposition management and playing staff is acceptable.

I don’t agree, you might not agree, but there’s no point taking over their call on this again.
BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pm Not going to prolong this, but it seems strange that a board member of the Leyton Orient Fans Trust, is unconcerned that his views don't tally with most of the, ahem, Fans.

Also, poor that a reasoned criticism is just regarded as just a fan going all "grr, Loft". This sounds a tad distant and arrogant. You're not doing yourselves any favours here.
Think this all got covered long ago on the old MB with reference to OFF's homophobic comments and other occasions where he's clashed with the opposition bench.

Loft's view seems to be "Heh - It's just OFF being OFF." - to me it doesn't present well but I'm just one person. Can't say that I cared particularly then or now but it was partly why didn't feel like joining. That and his ridiculous reaction to any criticism of the knuckle draggers giving Karren Brady pelters on STFUO.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:09 pm
What are the views of most fans? Genuine question, because we've got 31 likes (at the time of writing) to this on Twitter against only one snarky response, and on here there's the usual contrarianism going on. You are free to disagree with our stance on this, but I see nothing that says we're going against the prevailing view. I suspect most fans don't care whatsoever what we say here (no change there then, I hear some cry. :D ).
BoniO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:50 pmAlso, poor that a reasoned criticism is just regarded as just a fan going all "grr, Loft". This sounds a tad distant and arrogant. You're not doing yourselves any favours here.
That was directed generally to those who've gone all "grr, LOFT" at us on this board and its predecessors for the past 20+ years. I wasn't saying you were, apologies if it came across that way.
What if the popular view isnt the right one?
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stowaway »

In a way I wish he’d said something racist and got himself banned, because frankly he’s an embarrassment to the club and I’d be happy to see him sacked off.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:07 pm I do like to remind the opposition coaching staff quite vocally to stay in the technical area, when they go wandering off to the side of the pitch. Not to mention reminding the 4th official equally vocally to do their job in keeping them there. Pretty sure I've called various players over the years "dirty b*stards" for any number of dreadful challenges, and I've lost count of how much colourful language I've directed towards appalling standards of refereeing over the years.
Did you ever leave your seat to do so ?
Have you at anytime been banned on social media for homophobic abuse ?
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Admin wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:19 pm Loft's view seems to be "Heh - It's just OFF being OFF." - to me it doesn't present well but I'm just one person. Can't say that I cared particularly then or now but it was partly why didn't feel like joining.
To be clear, nothing in our mini-statement refers to Mat's behaviour at matches. The rest of the board is giving him our full support over the accusation against him of racist behaviour. No more, no less.

And I'm sorry you feel that way, we are genuinely welcoming to all O's fans - whether they are pro-Mat, anti-Mat or don't give a monkey's about Mat. Mat is one person on a board of (currently) 10.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Mat is their mate, so LOFT(an old boys club) are never going to do anything unless they really have to.

And theres no evidence he was abusive, but then he hasnt given his account of what happened and I suspect he may plead the 5th on that.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Loft have done the sums. There will be a few fans that will have left or wont join Loft because of Matt but that’s a price worth paying for 1) the undoubted amount of work he’s prepared to put in for the cause and 2) the number of fans/Panda readers he will bring on board.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:58 pm Mat is their mate, so LOFT(an old boys club) are never going to do anything unless they really have to.

And theres no evidence he was abusive, but then he hasnt given his account of what happened and I suspect he may plead the 5th on that.
No, he wasn’t their mate. The loft team stems from the Ear and Birky lot.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:55 pm
Admin wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:19 pm Loft's view seems to be "Heh - It's just OFF being OFF." - to me it doesn't present well but I'm just one person. Can't say that I cared particularly then or now but it was partly why didn't feel like joining.
To be clear, nothing in our mini-statement refers to Mat's behaviour at matches. The rest of the board is giving him our full support over the accusation against him of racist behaviour. No more, no less.

And I'm sorry you feel that way, we are genuinely welcoming to all O's fans - whether they are pro-Mat, anti-Mat or don't give a monkey's about Mat. Mat is one person on a board of (currently) 10.
Ok - do you approve of his behaviour at games generally and Saturday specifically?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

OyinbO wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 pm Entertaining as aspects of this may have been, it's also been extremely unedifying. There's a version taking hold that Andrews confected the claim out of pure spite - and the danger with this is that it makes more accurate future claims (and sadly, we all know there will be many) less likely to be believed or to be taken seriously. Much more likely is that Andrews misheard something in the hubbub and genuinely believed something racial was included in the (undisputed) abuse.

Plus, it's a bit much for Mr R***r to claim that he is 100% opposed to all forms of hate crime, isn't it?
Spot On !
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:02 pm Loft have done the sums. There will be a few fans that will have left or wont join Loft because of Matt but that’s a price worth paying for 1) the undoubted amount of work he’s prepared to put in for the cause and 2) the number of fans/Panda readers he will bring on board.
Sounds like Oh Matty Matty Matty Matty Matty Matty Rooo-per ,

Good job he isn't followed by an anti Muslim sect !
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:04 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:58 pm Mat is their mate, so LOFT(an old boys club) are never going to do anything unless they really have to.

They need OFF as he's probably the only one who puts in an honest shift. The rest all just sit around drinking ale and skiving all day.

Which begs the question; is OFF being paid the legal wage, and does he have Union representation?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Don't know why Macklin got abused
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:04 pm

I know the difference between LOFT and Orientear.
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:24 pm

viewtopic.php?p=250677#p250677

viewtopic.php?p=250689#p250689
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

A Pedant wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:35 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:24 pm

viewtopic.php?p=250677#p250677

viewtopic.php?p=250689#p250689
I thank you. Missed this one .
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I'm sure you are welcoming.

I tried on more than one occasion on the old MB to engage with him sensibly however he just couldn't ever seem to help himself from being totally hot-headed and irrational - his "OFF" monicker was well earned. Add to that the content of his FB page, which at the time was pretty much anti West Ham dribblings and misogynistic abuse of Karren Brady. For the record it was me that first pulled him on it - CEB picked the thread up after and it subsequently descended into their usual slanging match.

Add to this, the disgraceful Karren Brady / Boris Johnson "Joke" on the back page of his fanzine.

I don't know him personally. I see him on match days flogging Panda and just avoid any form of contact - I've no idea if he knows who I am and I'm sure like me, he doesn't really care either way. I'm sure he's more passionate and committed about all things LOFC than I'll ever be so fair play to him.

However, his online persona / fanzine content and match day behaviour is at best questionable. As I say, I'm one person but I suspect there's more like me who decided LOFT wasn't for them based partly on his involvement.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Admin wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:47 pm

I'm sure you are welcoming.

I tried on more than one occasion on the old MB to engage with him sensibly however he just couldn't ever seem to help himself from being totally hot-headed and irrational - his "OFF" monicker was well earned. Add to that the content of his FB page, which at the time was pretty much anti West Ham dribblings and misogynistic abuse of Karren Brady. For the record it was me that first pulled him on it - CEB picked the thread up after and it subsequently descended into their usual slanging match.

Add to this, the disgraceful Karren Brady / Boris Johnson "Joke" on the back page of his fanzine.

I don't know him personally. I see him on match days flogging Panda and just avoid any form of contact - I've no idea if he knows who I am and I'm sure like me, he doesn't really care either way. I'm sure he's more passionate and committed about all things LOFC than I'll ever be so fair play to him.

However, his online persona / fanzine content and match day behaviour is at best questionable. As I say, I'm one person but I suspect there's more like me who decided LOFT wasn't for them based partly on his involvement.
senconded !
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Good to see the battle continue !
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I reckon Keefboard Warriams and OFF should come on here for a one-off debate, and settle this once and for all.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Keefboard Warriams really was a great name.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Fair play to Pedant for mounting a defence

Seem to remember when people brought this up before and people said they'd stopped their subs over it the response was "Oh you're not a member so your opinion is irrelevant"
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Dunners wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:06 pm I reckon Keefboard Warriams and OFF should come on here for a one-off debate, and settle this once and for all.
Am sure Keef once challenged OFF to a podcast debate?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Dunners wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:06 pm I reckon Keefboard Warriams and OFF should come on here for a one-off debate, and settle this once and for all.
The Charity boxing match with novelty gloves that Monty tried to organise was the time.