People Are Quick to Hijack A Protest

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: People Are Quick to Hijack A Protest

Post by NuneatonO's »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 am Will also confess my ignorance of most statues. Not sure if getting rid of them is the right way to go though. It doesn't seem fair to judge people from the past on today's values.
On that logic, if there was a statue of Hitler in Berlin, should it remain there?

He probably believed that he was doing the right thing at the time.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

We'll soon lose a lot of landmarks and world heritage sites if we're in the business of cancelling everything slavery linked
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:46 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 am Will also confess my ignorance of most statues. Not sure if getting rid of them is the right way to go though. It doesn't seem fair to judge people from the past on today's values.
On that logic, if there was a statue of Hitler in Berlin, should it remain there?

There isn't though
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Believe it or not there were people with values in the past who opposed slavery.

I think that deals with the false argument that it doesn't seem fair to judge people from the past on today's values.

That argument is the ideology of the rich and powerful to excuse the exploitation and killings of their class. To acknowledge that their ideas were opposed at the time is to open up the whole social, political and economic system to criticism.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Time to pull down the Mandela statue. Clearly a racist.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Just a thought. With these statues being pulled down , when is the statue of Queen Victoria coming down. ? After all wasn't she the head of the British Empire in its prime .
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Beradogs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 am Time to pull down the Mandela statue. Clearly a racist.
But an acceptable racist.

Same as AJ's comment to "abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies and Invest in black owned businesses".
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am Just a thought. With these statues being pulled down , when is the statue of Queen Victoria coming down. ? After all wasn't she the head of the British Empire in its prime .
I'm waiting for the attempt to pull Nelson down from his column.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:23 am
Beradogs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:10 am Time to pull down the Mandela statue. Clearly a racist.

Same as AJ's comment to "abstain from spending your money in their shops and economies and Invest in black owned businesses".
In that case I'll be abstaining from going to Matchroom events in future
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Funniest boarder 2011, 2014

Post by PoliticOs »

Yeah, but not a white, British, wealthy male, is he?

AND AS WE ALL KNOW THEY ARE THE ONE'S THAT ARE TREATED LIKE SECOND CLASS CITIZENS NOW AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD IT TOUGH.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Give over. That isn't racist, no matter how much you're desperate to be oppressed.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Give over. That isn't racist, no matter how much you're desperate to be oppressed.
I'm not desperate for anything but can you imagine the media attention that would be given to any high profile white person making a statement to avoid investing in black businesses and invest in white owned businesses instead?
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Where would they say it and why? For what pupose?

And for what purpose did AJ say what he did?

Please answer how you view each of these questions.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:15 pm Where would they say it and why? For what pupose?

I don't believe a white person would say that, for one thing it would be commercial suicide, and that AJ said it at a BLM rally to support businesses run by fellow BAME by not investing in white run companies.

Either way it is based on nothing but colour which is racist.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Who is AJ?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 pm
PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:15 pm Where would they say it and why? For what pupose?

I don't believe a white person would say that, for one thing it would be commercial suicide, and that AJ said it at a BLM rally to generate support for businesses run by fellow BAME by not investing in white run companies.

PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

I don't believe a white person would say that, for one thing it would be commercial suicide, and that AJ said it at a BLM rally to support businesses run by fellow BAME by not investing in white run companies.

You don't think any white person would say to shop in only white shops, why? What is the difference between white people and black people there then?

I've rewritten this sentence about 50 times because I think I'm wasting my breath, however - why do you think he wants to support BAME first? Because he is anti-white? Because he is racist? Because he believes black is superior?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 pm Who is AJ?
Jeremy Corbyn
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Last edited by Ornchurch on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Good luck getting through that head PoliticOs. You have more patience than me.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:46 am

Well the thing is his views weren't acceptable at any time and he was defeated.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Terrible, divisive comment from AJ.
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:51 pm

You don't think any white person would say to shop in only white shops, why? What is the difference between white people and black people there then?

I've rewritten this sentence about 50 times because I think I'm wasting my breath, however - why do you think he wants to support BAME first? Because he is anti-white? Because he is racist? Because he believes black is superior?
I don't believe that anyone worries about who owns what shops when shopping. I certainly don't. If I need or want something then I buy it regardless of who is selling it to me.

I don't know why he made those comments. It could be for all 3 of those reasons you posted.
What I am saying is that telling people to do something based purely on colour is racist. Simple as that.

Could also be said that I'm wasting my breath as you have no intention on listening to my opinion either.
PoliticOs
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoliticOs »

Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:59 pm

I don't believe that anyone worries about who owns what shops when shopping. I certainly don't. If I need or want something then I buy it regardless of who is selling it to me.

I don't know why he made those comments. It could be for all 3 of those reasons you posted.
What I am saying is that telling people to do something based purely on colour is racist. Simple as that.

Could also be said that I'm wasting my breath as you have no intention on listening to my opinion either.
I'm asking your opinion throughout so it's probably a poor take that I have no intention on listening. I'm giving you the chance to answer. Agreeing and listening are different.

Do you not favour any sort of places to buy if you can? So if you were looking for fruit and veg in Islington you wouldn't go by John Mackie's place because you want to support an ex O?

Why would black people potentially feel like they need to directly support each other financially via preferential shopping do you think?
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

PoliticOs wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm asking your opinion throughout so it's probably a poor take that I have no intention on listening. I'm giving you the chance to answer. Agreeing and listening are different.

Do you not favour any sort of places to buy if you can? So if you were looking for fruit and veg in Islington you wouldn't go by John Mackie's place because you want to support an ex O?

Why would black people potentially feel like they need to directly support each other financially via preferential shopping do you think?
Depends on how cheap his fruit and veg was compared to other options.

I've got you now though. BAME people support each other based purely on colour = fine. White people support each other based purely on colour = racist.