Essex CCC

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Re: Essex CCC

Post by Top of the JES »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:07 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:01 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Nick Browne, well can see him being around next season playing in the four day first Eleven when needed. May also branch off into doing some coaching.
Let’s hope not, his time was up years ago need to move on.Better and younger players the Browne in division Two we should be looking at as we did with Critchley.
He is still only 33 years old and still thought well of at Essex, thus in his Essex write up profile..... '' Browne became the first person to reach 200 on four occasions for Essex in First-Class cricket, hitting 234* (454) against Somerset in July 2022''
https://essexcricket.org.uk/teams/first ... ck-browne/
He's inconsistant and always has been, two big scores a season and very little else, sooner he and Rossington go we can bring in two younger more consistant signings.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:20 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:01 pm

Let’s hope not, his time was up years ago need to move on.Better and younger players the Browne in division Two we should be looking at as we did with Critchley.
He is still only 33 years old and still thought well of at Essex, thus in his Essex write up profile..... '' Browne became the first person to reach 200 on four occasions for Essex in First-Class cricket, hitting 234* (454) against Somerset in July 2022''
He's inconsistant and always has been, two big scores a season and very little else, sooner he and Rossington go we can bring in two younger more consistant signings.
We shall see what decisions are made next season by both parties.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:07 am

Won’t be down to Browne he’s out of contract next season. The club will decide.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Top of the JES wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:54 am
Sid Bishop wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:07 am

Won’t be down to Browne he’s out of contract next season. The club will decide.
Yes but if they want to offer him another contract of some description, well also down to him as to if he wants to keep playing isn't it, after all, he may want to try doing something else with his life other than playing county cricket, or may even wish to try his luck somewhere else, time will tell !
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

It looks likely that Essex are going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory today. But really, it was yesterday they lost it, allowing Worcs to get so many runs in their second innings. We are relying too much on Harmer to work his magic and as time has progressed, his magical hands are not as good as they were.

However, it's a nice sunny day to sit watching cricket.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

How the heck did we lose that one. I know how: 4 dropped catches, albeit difficult ones, yesterday and our turgid bowling yesterday afternoon. Harmer is not as good as he was in bowling teams out, even on the Chelmsford wicket. And I don't understand how Westley didn't give himself a bowl yesterday. He bowled in every 50 over game and took wickets. Well that's second place probably gone as well. And we could easily get caught in the relegation zone, if we are not careful.

FFS
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Today's batting did for us. 184 to win and only 2 an over needed to be scored. Cox, Critchley and Walter were the main culprits. Das' dismissal was freak. Not only is Harmer's bowling less deadly but his batting has been poor this season.
Following the T20 we lost the knack of winning
I really had hopes of a trophy this year - so disappointed the way things have turned out - even Cox's appendicitis.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Another talent leaves Essex as Ben Allison signs a three year contract with Worcestershire. We need to stop giving contracts to crap like Rossington and Browne and give these kids more opportunity.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Sorry to see him go, but he needs to be playing more cricket. Worcs' Leach is retiring end of season - looks like Allison will be his replacement and regular first team appearances. Pepper will surely be stepping up. A terrific batter and an excellent keeper. Wouldn't be surprised that Fernandez gets a contract, Cox is a wicket keeper and Rossington could be on his way. Noticed Benkenstein didn't bowl in the last few games. When he has bowled this season I've not been at all impressed and wonder if it's all to do with that injury he had last season, when he batted but couldn't bowl. Possibly his bowling days are over, but what a promising batter. If Browne goes who will replace him - Das, Khushi, Allison or Benkenstein? Rambling, but I do get concerned about Harmer. Had a poor season with the bat, and his bowling has lost so much of its terror for batsmen. Can only think that he was only in the T20 side this summer because he was the captain.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

12 point deduction for the "batgate" incident. It does read as if there are things wrong with the bat gauges used. But, hey-ho, the authorities will always support their officials i.e. the Cricket Regulator supports the umpires.

If we don't get 8 Notts wickets tomorrow we could yet be drawn into a relegation battle.

https://essexcricket.org.uk/2024/09/11/ ... atement-3/
Last edited by EliotNes on Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Oh well we beat Notts again. :D
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Excellent performance over the last 4 days but only that win in the last 5:matches. We're playing now for third place. Somerset are playing for their first ever championship.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Nick Browne will still be there next season as he's being given a testimonal. I wonder how much he will actually play.

https://essexcricket.org.uk/2024/09/13/ ... e-in-2025/
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Heard on the stream on Wednesday that Rossington has recurring problems with finger and thumb and likely that his wicket keeper days are over. If that's right it looks like the end of his career. An excellent keeper, but that's all I'm afraid. Looks like a scramble to open the batting with Elgar next year. Das, Khushi and Charlie Allison, plus Browne and possibly Benkenstein. If his England career takes off next season Cox will need a stand in. Wonder what the winter will bring?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

EliotNes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:41 pm Nick Browne will still be there next season as he's being given a testimonal. I wonder how much he will actually play.

A decision made based on emotion is never a good thing. He's not worth a place in next years squad given what he produces on the field.

I hope he gets a few bob but I can't seeing him playing at all.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Great win yesterday. Cook & Porter are unplayable in the right conditions, especially when the Kookaburra ball is used. But that 12 pint deduction has lost us the chance of the Championship. But let's hope we can beat Surrey at Chelmsford next week to round off the season.

Essssex Essssex.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Now that we're unable to win the championship I really hope we can have a hand in who does win it. I'd love to see Somerset be champions - something they've never been. It may happen, depending on current matches results and - if we can beat Surrey next week.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Let's hope the weather does not intervene next week and the games that mean anything are not affected by rain/bad light. That would be a great end to the season.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Surrey are champions! Somerset limped to defeat - will they ever win the CC? Don't know what sort of a side Surrey will put out next week, but I hope we beat them.
Disappointing season for us. Thatround of CC matches between the T20 and 50and te defeat to Worcestershire cost us dearly. So close to finishing 4th in T20 and our youngsters left it just too late to show us how good they could be in the 50. And then there was Khushi's bat! What's happened to him - has he even been a sub?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Top of the JES wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:38 pm
EliotNes wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:41 pm Nick Browne will still be there next season as he's being given a testimonal. I wonder how much he will actually play.

A decision made based on emotion is never a good thing. He's not worth a place in next years squad given what he produces on the field.

I hope he gets a few bob but I can't seeing him playing at all.
There you go, Nick Browne given another season.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Sentimental codswallop