Guesses for new manager

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Guesses for new manager

Post by Thor »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm Not a terrible shout, that.

My hunch is Webb as manager with Embleton continuing as assistant and Jobi joining the coaching staff.
If I were a betting man, I’d wager what PJ has said.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:09 pm Danny Webb for me. He did well when he was there a couple of years ago.
I would prefer Jobi stayed on the pitch as I think we’re gonna need him next season, for as long as he stays fit.
Don't want to be a pedant and we truly were a crap team at the time but since when does 2 wins in 12 starts count as "did well". However, I would like him to be given a second chance.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

I think it has to be an experienced manager coming in from outside, as difficult as it would be for him, the players and the staff.

You'd think that T&T would take this approach given we've only got back into the league, but I can see them going for Webb/Ross, which I'd understand. If we kept it in house I'd want Webb as he seems most suited to the role. Jobi would be nice but don't think he'd be able to balance it with playing.

Slade would be great just for the familiarity, McMahon is also a great suggestion, I think he's a quality manager and knows the club.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm
Disoriented wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 pm Chris Powell would be my choice.
He's currently employed. If we appoint somebody from outside I reckon they will be currently unemployed.
You sure about that? As far as I’m aware, Powell’s been out of work since March
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

jamespevans wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:31 pm
Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:09 pm Danny Webb for me. He did well when he was there a couple of years ago.
I would prefer Jobi stayed on the pitch as I think we’re gonna need him next season, for as long as he stays fit.
Don't want to be a pedant and we truly were a crap team at the time but since when does 2 wins in 12 starts count as "did well". However, I would like him to be given a second chance.
Ah, sorry I stand corrected, I didn’t realise his record was that bad, but as you say, we had a crap team and even worse owners back then. I also think he deserves a second chance, rather than promotion for Ross.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I see many people want to keep the appointment in house and I can understand the sentiment behind that but the net needs to cast as widely as possible to ensure the right appointment.

As for Slade coming back. That's a big negatory from me. Never works out the second time and in any case he failed at Orient.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 pm
Ah, sorry I stand corrected, I didn’t realise his record was that bad, but as you say, we had a crap team and even worse owners back then. I also think he deserves a second chance, rather than promotion for Ross.
No one going to mention Webby feeding us bechettis bullshit over Cisak?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Remind me...
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 pm I see many people want to keep the appointment in house and I can understand the sentiment behind that but the net needs to cast as widely as possible to ensure the right appointment.

As for Slade coming back. That's a big negatory from me. Never works out the second time and in any case he failed manager at Orient.
I think that Slade failed, like others, as he was working under Beelzebub.
He’s certainly experienced but not sure he should come back.
The Big Shot
Fresh Alias

Post by The Big Shot »

Danny Webb
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 pm I see many people want to keep the appointment in house and I can understand the sentiment behind that but the net needs to cast as widely as possible to ensure the right appointment.

As for Slade coming back. That's a big negatory from me. Never works out the second time and in any case he failed manager at Orient.
Don’t think Slade worked under Beelzebub for that long so to call him a failure under FB is a tad harsh.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 pm
Cheshunto wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Don’t think Slade worked under Beelzebub for that long so to call him a failure under FB is a tad harsh.
:lol:
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Relentless. Think I might coin this 'Beelzebub Denial'.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

It’s as if the past 5 years on the old board never happened.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

George Sessions
@GeorgeSessions
I thought Nigel Travis' video to Leyton Orient's fans was brilliant. Typically transparent from this ownership. It sounds like Ross Embleton and Danny Webb will be promoted

This guy is usually bang on the money
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Lucky7 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:24 pm George Sessions
@GeorgeSessions
I thought Nigel Travis' video to Leyton Orient's fans was brilliant. Typically transparent from this ownership. It sounds like Ross Embleton and Danny Webb will be promoted

This guy is usually bang on the money
Is he? I remember he said Ross should be given the chance when he was caretaker before Justin took over.
Andersonitis
Fresh Alias

Post by Andersonitis »

Oh dear I’m starting to feel unconfident about what I fear is going to happen,
Looks like we will be having a new manager at Xmas time, I feel an Ian Hendon/Steve Davis feeling coming on.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

They are "bigging up" Daryl McMahon on our sister board as a done deal????
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Did well under very difficult circumstances but I'm uncertain that he's the best man for the job.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 am They are "bigging up" Daryl McMahon on our sister board as a done deal????
That I could dig, even if it meant kieth returning to the board.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Whoever gets the gig, it must have been a decision that Travis, Teague and Ling thought they wasn't going to have to make for quite a long time. We may not like the decision but we have to get behind whoever it is for the sake of the club.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Odds on it will be an in house appointment or a relatively inexperienced man from outside.
Ling will have a big influence, no doubt.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

The owners would have drawn up a wishlist, and (IMO) the 'soft' requirements of the job definitely outweigh the 'hard', at present.

For instance, had this tragedy not happened and the job was vacant, one of the chief requirements would be that the man has a good track record at this level. For me, some of the requirements now is taking care of the players (and staff) at the club, honouring Justin's plans and ensuring survival in the League.

Not mutually exclusive of course, but I feel that going for a manager with some connection to the club is merely a transition period, and I don't see any of the linked names (Slade/McMahon/Edwards/Nugent) offering much more than Jobi. Out of these Slade is the only candidate with decent experience at this level and his last few jobs say to me he has had some trouble winning over a dressing room that may be a little resistant to his ideas.

I think a period of transition is necessary as part of grieving, but once the job is open to all applicants on merit (as it should be), I'd think the manager in future is likely to have no previous connection to the club and want to impose his own ideas, just like Justin did when he arrived.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I think eagwgw sums it up nicely.
TrickorTreat
Fresh Alias

Post by TrickorTreat »

Webby or Daryl McMahon for me.
Both young and ambitious and would be backed by our fantastic owners. Daryl did well at Ebbsfleet and everyone knows Webby's story of the last few years. Both would need to consolidate our position in League 2 and build for the future.