Cameron- look what you have done

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Re: Cameron- look what you have done

Post by A Pedant »

spen666 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:24 am I knew what Brexit involved...indeed the leaflet the Government sent to every household advised people top make their decision on the basis there would be a no deal Brexit.
No it didn't. There is literally zero mention of 'no deal'.

It did however say that voting to Leave "could result in 10 years or more of uncertainty as the UK unpicks our relationship with the EU and renegotiates new arrangements with the EU and over 50 other countries around the world."

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... the-uk.pdf
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

I’d dispute Spenny’s assertions that it’s just Remain MPs stopping brexit. The hard leave crew have equally done their bit to stop it, because they can’t t accept the Govt’s compromise withdrawal agreement either.

But I agree it’s impossible to point the finger solely at brexit for affecting the economy since the referendum vote. There’s always other factors in play (good and bad). Economists and finance bods seem to mostly agree that leaving the EU will shrink the economy and related tax take/state spending for a significant period, that ironically the pain will be felt more by the high leave vote areas, and the harder the leave the worse the effect.

Yet we’ve got to the point where “we” don’t believe or trust experts any more, whilst public perception of many issues doesn’t tally with reality. So it goes.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Slacker the hard leave crew as you put it have only dug in and tried to stop the compromise deal because it’s so bad. It’s bad beyond belief, the facts are out there of May being offered a free trade deal which she turned down, she put the wall up in respect to Northern Ireland. Mays deal would have left us tied to the eu forever, the whole point of Brexit is to leave and be Independant.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 pm
one o in huntingdon wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:18 pm
Thor wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm

You are quite correct and I stand corrected. Got my timelines mixed up.
Think before posting, typical Tory and Brexit merchant when it comes to the truth
I got the timelines wrong, run me over with a tractor.

The rest of my argument was correct, which you, max and others failed to contest.
Yes we did and we pointed out why your superficial sound bites contain no truth or meaning.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 am Slacker the hard leave crew as you put it have only dug in and tried to stop the compromise deal because it’s so bad. It’s bad beyond belief, the facts are out there of May being offered a free trade deal which she turned down, she put the wall up in respect to Northern Ireland. Mays deal would have left us tied to the eu forever, the whole point of Brexit is to leave and be Independant.
We are independent already.

Take one area where it could be argued the EU has most influence, such as trade. The EU demands that goods and services must conform to certain safety and quality standards before they can be sold in the EU. If we want to continue to trade with the EU the UK will need to comply with their requirements. Where is the "Independence" in that?

The point of course is that in a global, interdependent world being ideologically pure and independent is a calculated myth to inflame gammons.