Sam Ling

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Sam Ling

Post by Long slender neck »

Will we drop Happe or Akinola then?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:29 am Will we drop Happe or Akinola then?
I guess time will tell.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:51 am
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:41 pm
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:24 pm

The only thing I can think of is not wanting to phase too many new players into the squad/team at once and so they'll get to sorting the right back position in the summer. I think they're doing that with the left back position too, with a succession plan for Ogie to be given an opportunity.
Come on, I’m sure there’s some other possible reason you can think of if you try really hard.

Disagree with left back too - Brophy is rightly our first choice and good enough to play that position in a promotion winning side (IMO).
The whole "Ling is only playing cos his dad is the director of football thing" is just too obvious to be the case though, innit, even if you ignore the fact/don't want to believe that time and again it's been said that Martin has no interest or influence in picking the team. I hardly think a club that is as transparent and open as ours is under current ownership will think they can get away with something like that, that it would be deemed acceptable to play someone because of their dad or that they think they can pull the wool over our eyes by denying it. There is greater scrutiny because he is the son of a senior staff member, though that's exactly the reason we shouldn't have signed him in the first place (and Ling senior also agrees he didn't think it was a good move for Sam at the time) as it creates situations like this.

At least some of this scrutiny is flawed though. Take last weekend's game. So many people were adamant that the goals were Ling's fault at the time and slating only him in the match thread. Same with the game before. Yet the highlights showed several other players who were unmentioned when it came to responsibility until the highlights were out and people could judge objectively. Let's face it, if video evidence in the highlights of goals is also implicating other players then presumably the same thing will be happening in at least some of these other amazingly good opposition chances where they definitely should have scored and we were lucky that they didn't that are apparently down to Ling. Yet when similar chances fall for us they tend to be downplayed as only a half chance or goals put down to luck on our part.

Really hoping we do move on from Samling this summer as we need to upgrade (and will be able to significantly), but can't help think that even if he was playing at a similar level to other players then he'd still be seen to only be playing because of his dad.
I don’t really care who his dad is, so long as there is not too much influence. To be honest I don’t care who our manager is. Or who our DoF is.

What interests me is what happens on the field of play. We are struggling as a team for consistency and performance, some results make this mess more able to bear.

Sam Ling just doesn’t have the quality for L2. That is how I see it, irrespective of his family connections. A plodder, no pace, no positional sense, an onlooker much of the time. When he gets the ball he can’t get rid of it quick enough, not comfortable on the ball at all. Playing alongside an inexperienced kid like Akinola simply highlights his shortcomings.

I really wish he was a great player, why wouldn’t I, But he is not. Real shame.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

The only thing I can think of is not wanting to phase too many new players into the squad/team at once and so they'll get to sorting the right back position in the summer. I think they're doing that with the left back position too, with a succession plan for Ogie to be given an opportunity.
Come on, I’m sure there’s some other possible reason you can think of if you try really hard.

Disagree with left back too - Brophy is rightly our first choice and good enough to play that position in a promotion winning side (IMO).
The whole "Ling is only playing cos his dad is the director of football thing" is just too obvious to be the case though, innit, even if you ignore the fact/don't want to believe that time and again it's been said that Martin has no interest or influence in picking the team. I hardly think a club that is as transparent and open as ours is under current ownership will think they can get away with something like that, that it would be deemed acceptable to play someone because of their dad or that they think they can pull the wool over our eyes by denying it. There is greater scrutiny because he is the son of a senior staff member, though that's exactly the reason we shouldn't have signed him in the first place (and Ling senior also agrees he didn't think it was a good move for Sam at the time) as it creates situations like this.

At least some of this scrutiny is flawed though. Take last weekend's game. So many people were adamant that the goals were Ling's fault at the time and slating only him in the match thread. Same with the game before. Yet the highlights showed several other players who were unmentioned when it came to responsibility until the highlights were out and people could judge objectively. Let's face it, if video evidence in the highlights of goals is also implicating other players then presumably the same thing will be happening in at least some of these other amazingly good opposition chances where they definitely should have scored and we were lucky that they didn't that are apparently down to Ling. Yet when similar chances fall for us they tend to be downplayed as only a half chance or goals put down to luck on our part.

Really hoping we do move on from Samling this summer as we need to upgrade (and will be able to significantly), but can't help think that even if he was playing at a similar level to other players then he'd still be seen to only be playing because of his dad.
Sorry, don't agree.

Yes, the board love to make out they're transparent, and they're very open to listening to fans views (unless those views are ones they don't want to hear, like the stuff with The Sun for example). And this isn't a criticism of them, they don't have to listen to us and it's not their job to question team selection, I wouldn't even really want them involved in transfer decisions. But when you've got old players being given coaching roles, Ross's dad getting some coaching/community role, the DoFs son getting picked regardless of his performances, it's all a bit too paly paly and no one is going to rock the boat.

Yes, most goals or chances you watch back, you will find others will have made errors or contributed in some way. But there is one common factor in nearly all of them.

I get why people like yourself come out to defend him. It is unsavoury and can seem like bit of a pile on at times, I've defended sh*t players in the past when they've been panned by everyone else, maybe it's to be a bit contrary, maybe because siding with the underdog is natural to us. But I think everyone - tufffers excluded - is accepting he's the weakest link in our squad and needs replacing. We're now just arguing over how bad he is/how many mistakes he makes.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 am. Playing alongside an inexperienced kid like Akinola simply highlights his shortcomings.
Akinola isn't a kid - he's the same age as Happe.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apparently im a Troll or a.relation to Ling

But if i Troll the Trollers & Haters , then im weird or
Just a Troll .

Its like im Floyd Landis & they are all Lance.Armstrong

I hope Sam ling isnt Marco Pantani & ends up killing himself because of abuse .

If Ling Senior is susceptible to mental health issues id suggest that Sam might be as well

Still this will now be called Bizzare or some other such kind of nonsense.

Ling Juniors treatment by fans of this club is ABUSE pure & simple .

He isnt very good , but most of the others arent great either as they are all
League 2/ conference players .

With the exception of Jobi at the age he is , how many more have played consistently
In the top 2 divisions .

The ABUSERS need to STOP .
ITS THAT SIMPLE .
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

Absolutely agree Tuffers!!!
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

If Ling Senior is susceptible to mental health issues id suggest that Sam might be as well
=============================

An outrageous thing to say. Depression is not hereditary.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

DuvB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:57 pm If Ling Senior is susceptible to mental health issues id suggest that Sam might be as well

Of course it isnt but there are massive links
Maybe Fans of this great little club need to re-visit this

Last edited by tuffers#1 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Or these just to notice the slightest thing can set people off

Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I really don't think suggesting that Sam Ling might suffer from mental health issues is helpful at all. You have no evidence for it and if he did, baselessly speculating about it is worse than any of the discussion on nepotism.

I don't think anyone has expressed any malice towards Sam. It's painfully obvious that he's out of his depth and I think the general sentiment is one of almost pity. He shouldn't be in this position.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 am
Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 am. Playing alongside an inexperienced kid like Akinola simply highlights his shortcomings.
Akinola isn't a kid - he's the same age as Happe.
Close to 2 years younger than Ling and about 90 games less experience in men’s football. But it don’t look like it on the pitch.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

DuvB wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:57 pm If Ling Senior is susceptible to mental health issues id suggest that Sam might be as well

I agree, that is not a very nice thing to suggest. According to Ling senior it can impact on 1 in 4. I can very easily believe that. And thanks to Ling Senior people are far more aware of the issue and maybe better at recognising the symptoms. And treating it as an illness, nothing to be ashamed of. Great work Martin, credit where due.

But to suggest what he did is low.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:39 pm I really don't think suggesting that Sam Ling might suffer from mental health issues is helpful at all. You have no evidence for it and if he did, baselessly speculating about it is worse than any of the discussion on nepotism.

I don't think anyone has expressed any malice towards Sam. It's painfully obvious that he's out of his depth and I think the general sentiment is one of almost pity. He shouldn't be in this position.
I Simply Stated that Abuse can lead to depression .
Did you ever see the interview where Ling Senior talked of
the effect his mental health had on Sam ?

Why have you mentioned Nepotism ?
Isnt that Just another way of ABUSING the Ling Family ?
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:19 pm

I agree, that is not a very nice thing to suggest. According to Ling senior it can impact on 1 in 4. I can very easily believe that. And thanks to Ling Senior people are far more aware of the issue and maybe better at recognising the symptoms. And treating it as an illness, nothing to be ashamed of. Great work Martin, credit where due.

But to suggest what he did is low.
ABUSING SOMEONE with Claims of NEPOTISM is LOW .
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:35 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:39 pm I really don't think suggesting that Sam Ling might suffer from mental health issues is helpful at all. You have no evidence for it and if he did, baselessly speculating about it is worse than any of the discussion on nepotism.

Did you ever see the interview where Ling Senior talked

It's not abuse to say he's playing badly. If we can't talk about that, then an orient fans forum might as well pack up shop, discussing crap performances is all we really have.

If he was getting booed in grounds, then I'd agree with you, I'd never advocate for that. Covid has been a blessing for the guy in that respect. I imagine the atmosphere if he was playing would be really unpleasant.

Think you need to consider what abuse is. No-one is sending the Lings direct messages or emails, they are posting their views on a forum . I have a lot of time for Martin Ling in particular - when I was a mascot back in 97/8, he was the player I had my picture with! And have an enormous amount of respect for what he's done for the club and the wider discussion of mental health in the game. But it's an indefensible situation.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

I am not a fan of Sam and this constant criticism of him is becoming a little akin to bullying now and should stop. I think that it is difficult to criticise individuals when the whole team is not playing well. Even Jobi looks a bad player in this team currently. We don’t look like scoring or creating any chances , so on that point alone it will be difficult for us to win.
We are not just losing because of poor defending. We are not winning because we can’t score.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Mistadobalina wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:53 pm
tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Did you ever see the interview where Ling Senior talked

It's not abuse to say he's playing badly. If we can't talk about that, then an orient fans forum might as well pack up shop, discussing crap performances is all we really have.

If he was getting booed in grounds, then I'd agree with you, I'd never advocate for that. Covid has been a blessing for the guy in that respect. I imagine the atmosphere if he was playing would be really unpleasant.

Think you need to consider what abuse is. No-one is sending the Lings direct messages or emails, they are posting their views on a forum . I have a lot of time for Martin Ling in particular - when I was a mascot back in 97/8, he was the player I had my picture with! And have an enormous amount of respect for what he's done for the club and the wider discussion of mental health in the game. But it's an indefensible situation.
People abused him for being at fault for both goals on Saturday which he wasnt
People constantly abuse him for so called mistakes which lead to no goals being scored
Against us .

ABUSE IS ABUSE .
To try & deny something by claiming it is poor form or he is not a
footballer should be nowhere the.team etc etc is pure & Simply
An ABUSERS excuse.to allow then to Carry on ABUSING .

FFS its beyond a Joke .

Pick on other players who play sh*te .

Not 1 mention of Dan Happe leaving us short on saturday for a
Red card , His 2nd of the season . Both games lost .

How many mentions on Brophy making mistakes which lead to 2 goals ?

How many Threads did it get ?

The usual HATE & ABUSE from the USUAL SUSPECTS .

Even dragging in some of the better borders to be part of it !!
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

He played well tonight and had possibly his best game of the season. Not sure why he came off? Anyone see anything?
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Thor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:10 pm He played well tonight and had possibly his best game of the season. Not sure why he came off? Anyone see anything?
Agree, his best game for a long time.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Definitely his best game for us in ages, possibly ever.

Only made 1 mistake all game (leading to the penalty). Even got forward and put in a decent cross at one point.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Emmm. “Ever”? Maybe his best ever was the home game vs Eastleigh a few years back?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:24 pm Emmm. “Ever”? Maybe his best ever was the home game vs Eastleigh a few years back?
You’d have to remind me of that one. Sorry.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 pm Definitely his best game for us in ages, possibly ever.

Only made 1 mistake all game (leading to the penalty). Even got forward and put in a decent cross at one point.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 pm Definitely his best game for us in ages, possibly ever.

That is it in a nutshell, if he plays well and earns his place on merit, well done Sam, but what annoys people is when certain players under-perform and get dropped where other players under-perform match after match and get picked match after match. Apparently Sam played well tonight, well thats good, let us hope he does the same from now on in most of the matches he plays in, if so, then his place in the team will not come under such close scrutiny as it does at present.