New Manager Chosen

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Re: New Manager Chosen

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Story of O wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 pm As do most managers
Some achieve more than one promotion at the same club or at least stabilise/ improve the team.
Others leave to manage clubs in a higher division and generally become a success in managerial circles.

Some don't achieve anything and end up in minor positions as scouts or loan managers
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

PoundhillO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:41 pm How bloody disappointing is that! For me anyway. It all goes back to this Dof position, and the Ling influence. I said it years ago that he would never choose anyone with a bit of character and experience. Protecting his own position is all that concerns him. I've hardly ever heard of the bloke. Gutted.
Couldn’t agree more !
He appointed JE. Sort of destroys that post.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:41 pm How bloody disappointing is that! For me anyway. It all goes back to this Dof position, and the Ling influence. I said it years ago that he would never choose anyone with a bit of character and experience. Protecting his own position is all that concerns him. I've hardly ever heard of the bloke. Gutted.
Couldn’t agree more !
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Red_Army wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:14 pm
Red_Army wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:10 pm

What a load of absolute rubbish. We are not appointing a manager for the thrill of it. Who cares if the press have got there first? What is important is the outcome of the appointment.

Who knows, maybe the club have leaked it to 'soften' the reaction once it is announced.
So our board feel the need to leak the announcement to soften the reaction. Bloody hell, what a statement of failure.
I was just hypothesising, but it would be a good strategy given how embarrassing certain sections of our support can be.
That would never be a good strategy and I doubt one the club would use, absolute vote of no confidence before the new guy even starts. He will get an appropriate and positive announcement by the club and should some fans be unhappy, tough.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

PoundhillO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Couldn’t agree more !
No. It destroys that post. He employed someone of the type you said he never would, but he did.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:57 pm
PoundhillO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:54 pm

No. It destroys that post. He employed someone of the type you said he never would, but he did.
He also bought Sam Ling and James Alabi
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

I think if you look at the rest of the team: Ross, Webb, Jobi, it's crying out for an experienced guy. I don't think they would consider Fletcher to be any more talented than them. For similar reasons I was against Sol as well.

I'll back Fletcher 100% if he gets the job. He needs time and money before he is judged. Just seems to me there are a lot of people out there for whatever reason not willing to admit reservations and then accusing other fans of having meltdowns for voicing the same things they are thinking.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm
PoundhillO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:01 pm Why are the club so slow in making the announcement ?
Things take time. They will be doing the legals right now. Why the rush anyway, does it really matter?
No it doesn’t. Totally underwhelming appointment. I’ll get behind him but at the moment I feel disappointed . Hope he proves me wrong.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

Looking at our managers over the last 20-30 years, can’t help but feel that the success rate of those appointments who have had experience and some success at the lower levels (e.g. Slade and Edinburgh) is far superior to those who didn’t tick those boxes.

Hence many of us thought that a good starting point was to follow the lessons of history. Fletcher doesn’t tick those boxes, some others did, but that’s not to say he won’t be a success, and if the appointment is confirmed he’ll have my full backing and will be given time I’m sure.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:03 pm
Red_Army wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm
PoundhillO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:01 pm Why are the club so slow in making the announcement ?
Things take time. They will be doing the legals right now. Why the rush anyway, does it really matter?
No it doesn’t. Totally underwhelming appointment. I’ll get behind him but at the moment I feel disappointed . Hope he proves me wrong.
Me too. But as Red Army points out, if we are going down the route of an inexperienced guy, this season is low risk so maybe it will work. Missed opportunity in my mind but if he is the man then so be it.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Couldn’t agree more !
No it doesn't, not at all. I knew someone would come up with that. Frank Clark was once touted as the next England boss because he got Forest promoted. Never heard of him again. Selection and management in football sometimes can 'go your way' for short periods of time in this game.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Couldn’t agree more !
No it doesn't, not at all. I knew someone would come up with that. Frank Clark was once touted as the next England boss because he got Forest promoted. Never heard of him again. Selection and management in football sometimes can 'go your way' for short periods of time in this game.
You said he would NEVER recruit someone with character and experience. He did.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

UpminsterO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:14 am None of us are perfect.

Whoever gets the gig and I mean whoever let's all cheer them unconditionally

The board have selected who they can and who they believe is the most suitable from all applicants
Or the cheapest.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

UpminsterO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:04 pm
Bergen wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:00 pm CHERRIES loan manager Carl Fletcher has been offered the job as Leyton Orient boss, the Daily Echo understands.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport ... ient-boss/
Ooh it seems I was wrong then not terry
Deluded :lol:
John Terry :lol:
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

I could never cheer someone unconditionally, if they get results they get cheers, if they don’t get results they get bood !!
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Frogger wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 pm Could some of the Eddie Howe magic have rubbed off onto Carl? I f*cking hope so if this appointment is the real deal.
Only if he gets the same budget as Eddie.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm Glad to see it reported elsewhere first.

We will no doubt benefit from his wealth of experience managing in L2.

If he was the best of the 40 applicants then bloody hell. Bring back Ross.
I thought you said the owners will find the best man and paying a extra few quid won’t be an issue :lol:
Blimey, he can’t have been first choice, I suggest about 5th.
They might as well left Ross in charge if this is the limit of their ambition.
Appalling appointment.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm So Ling has gone for a bloke who hasn’t managed in years and wasn’t good enough to manage an u23 team so they created an unnecessary role to keep him occupied. In Ling we trust.
Well I said it we be the cheap option and so it is.
This bloke would not have got a managers job at any club in the top 5 divisions.
I predict he will be worse than Paul Brush.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Wally Banter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm Didn't we have a rookie manager who took us from the bottom end of League 2 to promotion once, in his first manager role? Martin Something...?
This bloke has had two years at a club bigger than Orient at the same level, and he was hopeless and hasn’t managed anyone since.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Byways1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:02 pm
Wally Banter wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm Didn't we have a rookie manager who took us from the bottom end of League 2 to promotion once, in his first manager role? Martin Something...?
This bloke has had two years at a club bigger than Orient at the same level, and he was hopeless and hasn’t managed anyone since.
So more experienced than the rookie who took us to promotion, glad you agree. It’s a decent point.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

EastDerehamO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:12 pm Looking at our managers over the last 20-30 years, can’t help but feel that the success rate of those appointments who have had experience and some success at the lower levels (e.g. Slade and Edinburgh) is far superior to those who didn’t tick those boxes.

Hence many of us thought that a good starting point was to follow the lessons of history. Fletcher doesn’t tick those boxes, some others did, but that’s not to say he won’t be a success, and if the appointment is confirmed he’ll have my full backing and will be given time I’m sure.
He joins a long list of crap managers we have had.
We have only had two poached by other clubs since 1971.
Bloomfield and Slade. (Clark wasn’t manager).
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I’m forced to agree with you this appointment is extremely disappointing
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm

You said he would NEVER recruit someone with character and experience. He did.
Now resorting to nitpicking.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:06 pm
So more experienced than the rookie who took us to promotion, glad you agree. It’s a decent point.
Changed your tune.
Where’s all the crap that you were sprouting about experience manager with a track record at this level?
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Byways1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:55 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm Glad to see it reported elsewhere first.

We will no doubt benefit from his wealth of experience managing in L2.

If he was the best of the 40 applicants then bloody hell. Bring back Ross.
I thought you said the owners will find the best man and paying a extra few quid won’t be an issue :lol:
Blimey, he can’t have been first choice, I suggest about 5th.
They might as well left Ross in charge if this is the limit of their ambition.
Appalling appointment.
Agree totally. May just as well have stuck with RE.