Vigs gone

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Vigs gone

Post by Max Fowler »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:04 pm You have a high opinion of Premier League goalkeeping coaches, I personally think continuing to play competitive matches would be better for him to improve further rather than sitting on a bench for two years.
Well, yes. I don't think it's controversial to claim Premier League GK coaching will far exceed anything he'd be getting here. Working alongside Premier League standard keepers, training against Premier League strikers day in, day out, is far more beneficial than the 90 mins of L1 football he's missing out on each Saturday.
Neptune's Spear
Fresh Alias

Post by Neptune's Spear »

I'm sure Vigs will be happy to hear that Burnley may be signiing James Trafford the England U21 GK
CharlieO
Fresh Alias

Post by CharlieO »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:13 pm
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:04 pm You have a high opinion of Premier League goalkeeping coaches, I personally think continuing to play competitive matches would be better for him to improve further rather than sitting on a bench for two years.
Well, yes. I don't think it's controversial to claim Premier League GK coaching will far exceed anything he'd be getting here. Working alongside Premier League standard keepers, training against Premier League strikers day in, day out, is far more beneficial than the 90 mins of L1 football he's missing out on each Saturday.
Think what will be beneficial for Vigs and his family will be quintupling his salary, good luck to him. That will certainly be better for him than not doing it, regardless of any improvement he does or doesn't make.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:44 pm I'm sure Vigs will be happy to hear that Burnley may be signiing James Trafford the England U21 GK
I believe the deal is agreed and nothing that Vigs would not have expected. He knew he was signing to be a backup/part of a goalkeeping squad at Burnley - but the money was beyond anything he was expecting at the start of the summer.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

CharlieO wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:54 pm
Think what will be beneficial for Vigs and his family will be quintupling his salary, good luck to him. That will certainly be better for him than not doing it, regardless of any improvement he does or doesn't make.
But this just plays into all those saying it's just about the money.

It isn't. He will be a better player in 2 years time as a result of this move.
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 am
CharlieO wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:54 pm

But this just plays into all those saying it's just about the money.

It isn't. He will be a better player in 2 years time as a result of this move.
If he regularly plays.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

No, regardless of whether he plays or not (he won't), he will be a better player in 2 years time.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Disagree, players need game time, training only does so much, it's why so many players come out of Premier League academies are useless, as at 21 the best they've played is Tottenham U21 and have no experience of men's football or applied anything they've learnt in training in a match day scenario, it's why so many players drop ten leagues, the other year Bower signed a kid from Sunderland, Hornchurch just signed someone from Cardiff. Matches is where you improve, you do the hard work during the week then apply it at the weekend, as you can't replicate it no matter what you do
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Why are people still debating the arse end out of this. He's gone a long time ago and not coming back.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

essexfootball wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:44 am Disagree, players need game time, training only does so much, it's why so many players come out of Premier League academies are useless, as at 21 the best they've played is Tottenham U21 and have no experience of men's football or applied anything they've learnt in training in a match day scenario, it's why so many players drop ten leagues, the other year Bower signed a kid from Sunderland, Hornchurch just signed someone from Cardiff. Matches is where you improve, you do the hard work during the week then apply it at the weekend, as you can't replicate it no matter what you do
Boys training in a Premier League academy is totally different to training in the Premier League first team.

It's also totally different for goalkeepers.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:55 am Why are people still debating the arse end out of this. He's gone a long time ago and not coming back.
Because some people are still salty that our best players left and won't let it go.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Most contributors to this thread have no problem with Vigs going and earning more money, I wish him well and hope he plays. The debate has been whether as Trump Plumbing believes and I disagree, being at a premier league club and not playing, will make him a better player than playing regular at a lower level.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I don't think you can make a blanket call, but in this instance, a goalkeeper, 29 years of age, and vastly experienced in the lower leagues, I don't think he'll improve much more just playing lower league, but potentially will with better coaching, facilities, and competition higher up.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

According to the t’internet the average League One salary is £4,700 per week. Average Premier League is £60,000.

I doubt Vigs would have been on an average salary and could have commanded more but the differential is huge.

He has a short career and window of opportunity. Irrelevant if he’ll play or improve. He has to take the money. I think the vast majority of us would have done exactly the same. Good luck to him.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Adz wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:05 am I don't think you can make a blanket call, but in this instance, a goalkeeper, 29 years of age, and vastly experienced in the lower leagues, I don't think he'll improve much more just playing lower league, but potentially will with better coaching, facilities, and competition higher up.
Exactly this.

In a 90 minute game, he'll have a couple of instances where he is called upon.

It's the hours upon hours spent on the training ground week in, week out, where the improvements are made.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DrWindy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:17 am According to the t’internet the average League One salary is £4,700 per week. Average Premier League is £60,000.

I doubt Vigs would have been on an average salary and could have commanded more but the differential is huge.

He has a short career and window of opportunity. Irrelevant if he’ll play or improve. He has to take the money. I think the vast majority of us would have done exactly the same. Good luck to him.
Absolutely . I'm sure we would do the same thing ,
Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

23k a week, he deserves it , cheers LV , see you in 28 months hopefully on loan, Burnley are in the red, so think this time next year once they are back down again LV might return
Neptune's Spear
Fresh Alias

He isn't even listed in the Sun's selection of goalies in their Fantasy League, Disgraceful !
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:17 pm He isn't even listed in the Sun's selection of goalies in their Fantasy League, Disgraceful !

You should cancel your subscription to The Sun. :lol:
Neptune's Spear
Fresh Alias

EliotNes wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:19 pm
Neptune's Spear wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:17 pm He isn't even listed in the Sun's selection of goalies in their Fantasy League, Disgraceful !

You should cancel your subscription to The Sun. :lol:
Too right !
LeighO
Fresh Alias

Post by LeighO »

It certainly is.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Not on the bench this evening.
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

Bergen wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:20 pm Not on the bench this evening.
Very much a sign of things to come I feel. Might get to sit on the bench in the Cups if he is lucky.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

I know he’s earning a good wage but it’s a waste.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Top of the JES wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:36 pm I know he’s earning a good wage but it’s a waste.
Agreed. Look forward to getting him back on loan next season.