Pompey game

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Pompey game

Post by Adz »

Bet most of the teams in our league will be carrying someone when they have a few injuries
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:35 am
Adz wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:53 am
moonwalk19 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:51 pm

Pompey are L1 where we want to be next season. We looked 2divisions below them tonight. The question of another midfielder has been around for 2 seasons now and Ling has not sorted it. His attitude is you get better players if you wait towards the end of the transfer date. That has never worked. RW wanted the players he needs sorted before going to Portugal. That has not happened. What is it that we don’t get the players we need. The transfer commitee meet monthly and say they pursue players months in advance. It has been the same problems for the last two or three transfer windows. Something is wrong and RW will soon get fed up if things don’t go to his liking.
Pompey are a top half L1 team looking for promotion. That is somewhere we are looking to be in about 5 years time. I disagree that we looked 2 divisions below them. When we had our strongest team out they scored from a stupid mistake from Ogie and a good cross, and we got one back with a nice goal. They looked like a very good L1 team, we looked like a reasonable L2 team as you would expect.
Disagree we looked like a reasonable L2 team.

We looked like a team with 9 players, carrying 2 total passengers in the triallist and Coleman.
Our defending was less than reasonable.
WTF was Shad doing with the own goal and their 2nd found 2 or 3 of our defenders the ‘wrong side’ of Pigott.
Sarge would probably be disappointed with the 3rd , tend to think Vigs would have reached it.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

The first goal: Vigs had the ball at his feet, no midfielder showed so he passed it to Wood. Wood had no midfielder or left winger to pass the ball to so passed inside to Ogie, despite having 3 men on him. Ogie had no midfielder or left winger to pass to, and was pressed by 3 men, so passed back to Vigs without looking.

The second goal: Pratley tried to track the midfielder (Coleman’s job) but couldn’t make up the ground. Ball came in from our left, where Wood was left unsupported, because we had a kid as left winger.

My point remains valid - 9 players looked ok, we just had 2 passengers.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Agreed sarge dived over the top of the third tho.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:19 pm
LittleMate wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:06 pm
gshaw wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:56 pm Good things... Smyth, Archibald, Moncur

Not good things... chronic lack of options, midfield looks even weaker than before, academy kids aren't the answer in place of senior pros, trialists poor

It's not about the results, it's seeing how weak the squad is depth wise. Wellens still hasn't had the chance to put out a proper XI yet
Midfield didn't put us 2 down and Coleman was decent for only his second run out. Looks like Wellens has told him he can only play 2 touch and has 3 seconds to release the ball. Wood, Beccles and Shad all played big parts in the first 2 goals conceded and the only midfield contribution was Pratley trying to cover Beccles man.

The obvious miss is up front. Those that don't like Drinan can now appreciate a bit of what he brings to the party. He starts the press and works the defence. The alternate, Harry Smith, acts as a focal point. Without those 2 we have neither (although Fish shows promise). I didn't think the 1st half triallist was the answer and the other 2 are best forgotten.
The midfield did play a massive part in the first two goals.

For the first, where was Coleman? When in possession, as the deepest midfielder it is responsibility to show and collect the ball from the defence. All of Vigs, Wood and Ogie had the ball at their feet but he wasn’t an option once.

For the second, where was Coleman? When defending, as the deepest midfielder it is his responsibility to track the runners from midfield. I didn’t see him anywhere near our box.

Lots of positives from tonight, but the trial list and Coleman were the two massive negatives.
You really are having a laugh. For the first Vigs plays it to Wood who turns in trying to be smart; puts Ogie in a bit of trouble before Ogie finishes neatly. For the second Beckles may as well have not been there. Somehow that's the midfields - and specifically Coleman's fault. :lol:
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

LittleMate wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Midfield didn't put us 2 down and Coleman was decent for only his second run out. Looks like Wellens has told him he can only play 2 touch and has 3 seconds to release the ball. Wood, Beccles and Shad all played big parts in the first 2 goals conceded and the only midfield contribution was Pratley trying to cover Beccles man.

The obvious miss is up front. Those that don't like Drinan can now appreciate a bit of what he brings to the party. He starts the press and works the defence. The alternate, Harry Smith, acts as a focal point. Without those 2 we have neither (although Fish shows promise). I didn't think the 1st half triallist was the answer and the other 2 are best forgotten.

For the first, where was Coleman? When in possession, as the deepest midfielder it is responsibility to show and collect the ball from the defence. All of Vigs, Wood and Ogie had the ball at their feet but he wasn’t an option once.

For the second, where was Coleman? When defending, as the deepest midfielder it is his responsibility to track the runners from midfield. I didn’t see him anywhere near our box.

Lots of positives from tonight, but the trial list and Coleman were the two massive negatives.
You really are having a laugh. For the first Vigs plays it to Wood who turns in trying to be smart; puts Ogie in a bit of trouble before Ogie finishes neatly. For the second Beckles may as well have not been there. Somehow that's the midfields - and specifically Coleman's fault. :lol:
Frankfurter always picks his seasons Scapegoat Early .
PutneyO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PutneyO »

So why were people allowed in to watch the Middx Sussex game at Lords yesterday ? Obviously the Sun wasn't as strong in west London ;)
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Ok, that might have been a bit cheeky, especially with regards to the second goal. 😁 Are the highlights up anywhere yet?

Coleman was still awful. Whoever is playing that deep role has to be confident on the ball and come to demand it from the back line. He didn’t do that.

Even with Drinnan, Smith and James out, we had 9 excellent starting players at L2 level. Ruel would come in for that pony triallist, so once again, it’s all about bringing in a decent, experienced CDM. How many years have we been saying this now?
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

GTP, we ain't Man City so even though we might need one we are not going to rush out and get another Coleman or Brown (for example). RW wants one, but in his latest interview he sounded like he had a striker in mind, but not so when it came to a midfielder.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:18 am GTP, we ain't Man City so even though we might need one we are not going to rush out and get another Coleman or Brown (for example). RW wants one, but in his latest interview he sounded like he had a striker in mind, but not so when it came to a midfielder.
I don’t want a Coleman or Brown. I want an experienced, ready to go CDM. Coleman or Brown can understudy to them. Preferably brown from what I’ve seen so far.

It’s not a case of rushing into it either. We haven’t had one for years. I liked Hector but he should only have been the understudy.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:28 am
LittleMate wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:18 am GTP, we ain't Man City so even though we might need one we are not going to rush out and get another Coleman or Brown (for example). RW wants one, but in his latest interview he sounded like he had a striker in mind, but not so when it came to a midfielder.
I don’t want a Coleman or Brown. I want an experienced, ready to go CDM. Coleman or Brown can understudy to them. Preferably brown from what I’ve seen so far.

It’s not a case of rushing into it either. We haven’t had one for years. I liked Hector but he should only have been the understudy.
There are 23 league 2 CDM's. In truth you probably would not like more than 3-4 of them for us. We might like 10-15 league one CDM's you might like, but they don't like league 2. Only money changes that issue (and we are not Man City). If you don't want to grow a boy into a man then there's your problem. Find one that does any good and league one buys them (Hector). If we want something specific, like we do now, then its going to take time.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

LittleMate wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:37 am
Gary the Plumber wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:28 am

There are 23 league 2 CDM's. In truth you probably would not like more than 3-4 of them for us. We might like 10-15 league one CDM's you might like, but they don't like league 2. Only money changes that issue (and we are not Man City). If you don't want to grow a boy into a man then there's your problem. Find one that does any good and league one buys them (Hector). If we want something specific, like we do now, then its going to take time.
What, like 5 seasons?
CEB

Post by CEB »

The circular logic here is amazing.
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

love how trialists who people have never heard of before - and had only 45 minutes in an Orient shirt are being written off already.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

PutneyO wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:44 pm So why were people allowed in to watch the Middx Sussex game at Lords yesterday ? Obviously the Sun wasn't as strong in west London ;)
They were all T*ries & rules dont apply to them ?