Promoted teams from the National League - some stats

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Bergen
Regular
Regular

Promoted teams from the National League - some stats

Post by Bergen »

Promoted teams from NL and how they have finished in their FIRST season in League Two

2018/19: Macclesfield (22nd) and Tranmere (6th)
2017/18: Lincoln (7th) and Forest Green (21st)
2016/17: Cheltenham (21st) and Grimsby (14th)
2015/16: Barnet (15th) and Bristol Rovers (3rd)
2014/15: Luton Town (8th) and Cambridge United (19th)
2013/14: Mansfield Town (11th) and Newport (14th)
2012/13: Fleetwood Town (13th) and York City (17th)
2011/12: Crawley Town (3rd) and AFC Wimbledon (16th)
2010/11: Stevenage (6th) and Oxford United (12th)
2009/10: Burton Albion (13th) and Torquay United (17th)

Over the last ten years, no teams have been relegated in their first season.

Three teams have won back-to-back promotions (Crawley, Stevenage and Bristol R. – Tranmere can do it this season)

Average position is 13th.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Promoted teams from the National League - some stats

Post by RientO »

So anywhere from 3rd to 22nd next season :-)
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Jobi: "-The potential is massive. We're not going up just to make the numbers up".

8-)
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

My impression is that a lot more teams have made a quick transmission. Maybe the 2nd season, a la Lincoln.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

RientO wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 pm So anywhere from 3rd to 22nd next season :-)
:D
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

We love being the first to do something so here’s to relegation
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Bergen wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:16 pm Jobi: "-The potential is massive. We're not going up just to make the numbers up".

8-)
I agree with what he says. I think that attitude has been ingrained in everyone from the managers mentality, long May it continue.
eppinggas
Fresh Alias

Post by eppinggas »

I think the 'feel good factor', the new ownership, keeping the squad together, retaining the manager, momentum, better attendances... is all somewhat reminiscent of what happened at Bristol Rovers. Sadly I can't guarantee Orient promotion - but don't see why you wouldn't be able to compete in the top third.
Last edited by eppinggas on Thu May 09, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

The bulk of the squad is already there. The improvements needed are obvious to everyone. The funding appears to be there to support it. We have the momentum with us.

So long as management get the recruitment right this summer, I see no reason not to target a top 3 finish.
Article_50
Fresh Alias

Post by Article_50 »

Great work Bergen.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Top half finish next season push for promotion the following one.
claptonCasual
Fresh Alias

Post by claptonCasual »

say we are going up, say we are going up!.....
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Vital to capitalise on the current squad quality and importantly winning mentality. Why I don't believe there will be wholesale squad changes. Some may move on for personal reasons, others because perhaps NL is now their level.

But barring one or three players coming in I don't see any reason why the current squad shouldn't make next season a comfortable part of the ongoing building process. But promotion is perhaps not a reality yet.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:31 pm But promotion is perhaps not a reality yet.
If Lincoln, Forest Green and Tranmere who are only just out of the National League in last two years can get promoted/into play offs then I think it is possible. Will become apparent by October if Orient are looking up or down. Looking at final table this season 7th - 11th were only separated by 3 points and I expect Orient to be top half.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Bergen wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:16 pm Jobi: "-The potential is massive. We're not going up just to make the numbers up".

8-)
Finally a winning mentality from an Orient side, credit to JE and it seems Jobi too for bringing that into the squad. So refreshing after years of having our achievements talked down by Hearn and potential held back.

I think it'll be hard to keep hold of all our top assets though, if any of the big 4 talents leave then recruitment really does have to be spot on. Certainly can't afford to repeat last summer's mistakes.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

gshaw wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 pm if any of the big 4 talents leave then recruitment really does have to be spot on.
I think all 4 (assuming you mean Bonne, Koroma, Happe, Ekpiteta) could do with a season in familiar surroundings with regular starts enhancing their reputations rather than sitting on the bench at a Championship/top League One side. Obviously if there is an offer Orient can't refuse then that changes, but I think the best Orient would get for any would be south of £1 million. In a year's time their valuations could double or more. Of the 4, I suspect Bonne is most likely to leave as he will be 24 next season and won't want to wait until he is 26/27 before he is playing in the Championship with Orient :-)
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Playoffs minimum.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Remember when we got promoted from Div 4 to 3 under Lingy, and he said there’d be little difference in quality between the Leagues and the promoted squad would do fine & deserved their chance at the higher level, before we struggled big time?

I reckon next season could be like that too.

But provided we aren’t in danger of going straight back down I do think this lot should be given a fair chance to prove themselves.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RientO wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:30 pm
gshaw wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:16 pm if any of the big 4 talents leave then recruitment really does have to be spot on.
I think all 4 (assuming you mean Bonne, Koroma, Happe, Ekpiteta) could do with a season in familiar surroundings with regular starts enhancing their reputations rather than sitting on the bench at a Championship/top League One side. Obviously if there is an offer Orient can't refuse then that changes, but I think the best Orient would get for any would be south of £1 million. In a year's time their valuations could double or more. Of the 4, I suspect Bonne is most likely to leave as he will be 24 next season and won't want to wait until he is 26/27 before he is playing in the Championship with Orient :-)
I still think we might be overestimating just how good these 'youngsters' are. Koroma is the one with the potential to go the furthest, can see him being a long standing Championship player, just hope he's getting paid what he's worth and sticks around for a while yet.

I'm less concerned about offers coming in for the other 3.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pm I still think we might be overestimating just how good these 'youngsters' are. Koroma is the one with the potential to go the furthest, can see him being a long standing Championship player, just hope he's getting paid what he's worth and sticks around for a while yet.

I agree. One thing being good at National League level, quite another to be up to the Championship. Massey looked like a superb player (in League 2) when he played for Orient and is doing well at Wigan, but I doubt he would command a large fee if a bigger club came a calling.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

RientO wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:39 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:31 pm But promotion is perhaps not a reality yet.
If Lincoln, Forest Green and Tranmere who are only just out of the National League in last two years can get promoted/into play offs then I think it is possible. Will become apparent by October if Orient are looking up or down. Looking at final table this season 7th - 11th were only separated by 3 points and I expect Orient to be top half.

I said the same about the season just ended. Got that wrong big time. Happy to be wrong again
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Should rephrase that - offers may well come but I'd expect from L1 clubs rather than decent Championship/Premiership sides. Koroma excluded.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RientO wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:30 pm
Indeed, I hope they stay as they've all been level-headed throughout the season despite the speculation. All seem to have more sensible attitudes than the other players who went off down the U23 route.

That said we might need the money to pay of those recent losses so could see one or two being allowed to move this summer whereas we (rightly) refused all offers in January.
Kitch’s Magic Toes
Fresh Alias

Post by Kitch’s Magic Toes »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pmI still think we might be overestimating just how good these 'youngsters' are. Koroma is the one with the potential to go the furthest, can see him being a long standing Championship player, just hope he's getting paid what he's worth and sticks around for a while yet.

Baffling that anyone doesn’t think that Ekpiteta is the top prospect. He’s tall, quick, tough, excellent on the ball in tight situations and a danger at set pieces. A long spell in the Championship awaits. Koroma is a show pony who will carve out an inconsistent career in the bottom two divisions after an initial move to Huddersfield. He doesn’t have the physical attributes to cut it in the second tier. Bonne is at best a mid-table League One player who could do with another season with us and Happe is all set for a decade in League Two; probably with Orient. Needs to drastically improve his positioning before anyone will take a chance on him.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

slacker wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:21 pm Remember when we got promoted from Div 4 to 3 under Lingy, and he said there’d be little difference in quality between the Leagues and the promoted squad would do fine & deserved their chance at the higher level, before we struggled big time?

I reckon next season could be like that too.

But provided we aren’t in danger of going straight back down I do think this lot should be given a fair chance to prove themselves.
It definitely would if we don’t make the necessary upgrades required.