Coronavirus

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Long slender neck »

The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3, according to The New York Times.

Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19. A study published Jan. 29 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be 2.2, meaning each infected person has been spreading the virus to an average of 2.2 people.
Spreads quicker than flu too. You are looking even more ridiculous than normal now.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:23 am 2% is still a pretty low death rate to be fair, and that figure will be skewed upwards due to most cases being in countries with much poorer developed healthcare systems.

Most of the fatalities in Europe are elderly people and people with pre-existing health conditions, so I'm not panicking just yet
Only the vulnerable need to worry then? I'm alright Jack. :xxx
NuneatonO's
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by NuneatonO's »

UpminsterO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:53 am
NuneatonO's wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:59 am
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 am

1-2%? Prove it. That is still 10x higher than the death rate from seasonal flu.

Maybe not everyone gets the flu jab?

Dont know why you're bringing the Australian bushfires into this or why you are downplaying them.
I'm absolutely not downplaying the Australian bushfires whatsoever. I was simply using that as another example of media sensationalism; that did not mirror the full facts.

However, as someone who works within the Tourism sector; and was driving a motorhome throughout NSW, Vic. & the South Australia Territories during December/early January, I can categorically assure you that the hysteria, particularly across the European Media, was vastly exaggerated. One can only assume it was very quiet for other news.
I live in Australia - east
You are wrong to use the words you use and even in the way you use them "sensationalism" - no way

Look at the area it burnt
Look at the area in Brazil and USA where there have been fires and compare the difference

It was real very real
I bought and wore P2 masks
The air quality as measured by an international app had Canberra with the worlds worst air pollution

One person I work with father in law had his house destroyed totally

I know another person who mother lost a heritage gold mine village totally gone

My friend at work was packed and had an evacuation plan in place in accordance with the warnings

The sky in Canberra was red like a romantic sunset from hell

I had all my personal belongs ready to be moved out

Read again the percentage of kangeroo island lost

The other regions area lost was greater than some european countries

Fire fighters were killed

A plan crashed in the snowy mountains two fire pilots killed

Trees fell on cars and they died as the cars rolled off road

It was a war zone while towns burnt
Meanwhile, you are no doubt aware that matters were significantly worse in 1974 and 1984?

I was in The Blue Mountains (I have family near Bringelly NSW) when 'fire report maps' showed the entire region engulfed by flames. The NSW fire service had these put out within the hour; two were small grass fires that did not get out of control.

Meanwhile, maps shown via media outlets displayed the region as an Apocalypse.

Interesting that you mention Kangaroo Island. There was only one hotel (that I book for people) affected.

The recent bushfires were devastating - no question.

However, the reporting overview was, in my honest opinion, significantly overly dramatised via the media.
Last edited by NuneatonO's on Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:05 pm
Millennial Snowflake wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:23 am 2% is still a pretty low death rate to be fair, and that figure will be skewed upwards due to most cases being in countries with much poorer developed healthcare systems.

Most of the fatalities in Europe are elderly people and people with pre-existing health conditions, so I'm not panicking just yet
Only the vulnerable need to worry then? I'm alright Jack. :xxx
Like the hero Chinese ''Whistleblower'' doctor Li Wenliang, 34, who recently died of Coronavirus !
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

A possible case of coronavirus in Canary Wharf
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm A possible case of coronavirus in Canary Wharf
Rather frightening isnt it, especially to those people who are very vulnerable with low immune systems which includes some in my own own circle of friends and relatives.
Is this the news you speak of ? Canary Wharf office of US oil company Chevron sends home 300 workers over coronavirus fears after employee reports flu-like symptoms https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... &si=744904
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Crikey chaps, Coronavirus is a relatively mild disease, and should not have any serious consequences in healthy people.
It's not the Black Death (c. 1350ad) nor Bubonic Plague (c.1600's).
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm A possible case of coronavirus in Canary Wharf
I'm praying just as hard for the city wankers as I am for the ski wankers.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

RedO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 pm
In the meantime close down the South Stand, got second my second dose of flu on saturday there
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 pm Crikey chaps, Coronavirus is a relatively mild disease, and should not have any serious consequences in healthy people.
Excactly. It is just God's way of rooting out the weak.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

point nine one eight wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:58 pm
RedO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 pm
In the meantime close down the South Stand, got second my second dose of flu on saturday there
Few sniffles and sweating after an afternoon Ladding it up in the SS possibly isn't flu.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:59 pm
Chicken Dhansak wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 pm Crikey chaps, Coronavirus is a relatively mild disease, and should not have any serious consequences in healthy people.
Excactly. It is just God's way of rooting out the weak.
Scotland's rugby team had better watch out then.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm
Rather frightening isnt it, especially to those people who are very vulnerable with low immune systems which includes some in my own own circle of friends and relatives.
Is this the news you speak of ? Canary Wharf office of US oil company Chevron sends home 300 workers over coronavirus fears after employee reports flu-like symptoms https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... &si=744904
Yes, that’s it
BigDaddyO
Fresh Alias

Post by BigDaddyO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 am FACT- one is 20x more dangerous than the other.
I'm afraid that's not quite right.

It appears that one has a higher death rate than the other, but this is actually misleading.

You have to factor in how many people are being infected as well. Coronavirus seems to be fairly infectious but compared to the flu, which kills well over 500,000 people every year and probably infects as many as 10 - 50 million, it's really nothing to be worried about as long as you are fit and healthy (not over 75, not under 10 and non-asthmatic).

It's also worth noting that many, many people will have the virus with only mild symptoms, and will therefore not go to the doctor be diagnosed.

As a result we see 100% of all the coronavirus deaths in the news each day, but only an estimate of how many people have been infected. Add to that the fact that the virus will spread quickly in places like hospitals, where people ted to be older and unwell - this further increases the death rate despite the disease not being as dangerous to healthy adults.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

BigDaddyO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:17 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 am FACT- one is 20x more dangerous than the other.

It appears that one has a higher death rate than the other, but this is actually misleading.

You have to factor in how many people are being infected as well. Coronavirus seems to be fairly infectious but compared to the flu, which kills well over 500,000 people every year and probably infects as many as 10 - 50 million, it's really nothing to be worried about as long as you are fit and healthy (not over 75, not under 10 and non-asthmatic).

It's also worth noting that many, many people will have the virus with only mild symptoms, and will therefore not go to the doctor be diagnosed.

As a result we see 100% of all the coronavirus deaths in the news each day, but only an estimate of how many people have been infected. Add to that the fact that the virus will spread quickly in places like hospitals, where people ted to be older and unwell - this further increases the death rate despite the disease not being as dangerous to healthy adults.
Partly true but many outside the area of people who you highlighted as most at risk have also died, most notably the ''Whistleblower'' doctor Li Wenliang, aged just 34 years old, who recently died of Coronavirus.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Eamonn Holmes wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Partly true but many outside the area of people who you highlighted as most at risk have also died, most notably the ''Whistleblower'' doctor Li Wenliang, aged just 34 years old, who recently died of Coronavirus.

Most at risk, not only ones at risk
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Ireland vs Italy Six Nations game cancelled over coronavirus fears.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ir ... spartanntp
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Yeah sure he did.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Yeah sure he did.
Got to say I reckon he was bumped off too (assuming that's what you were saying).
BigDaddyO
Fresh Alias

Post by BigDaddyO »

I don't have any evidence on this, but I would bet a fair old wedge that Li Wenliang was not killed by coronavirus...
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

BigDaddyO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:58 pm

I don't have any evidence on this, but I would bet a fair old wedge that Li Wenliang was not killed by coronavirus...
Course he weren't. Nobody likes a grass less than the Chinese Communist Party.
BigDaddyO
Fresh Alias

Post by BigDaddyO »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:53 pm
BigDaddyO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Course he weren't. Nobody likes a grass less than the Chinese Communist Party.
Louis Dennis?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

There was a Chinese company which quoted there had been over 24k deaths weeks and weeks ago, they were told to chat ge it to the official figures. Have you not seen the videos of hospitals with dead bodies everywhere? Have you not seen the video of the biker filming dead bodies in bags lined up in the streets? Have you not seen the massive lorry type machines belching out disinfectant through the streets? Have you not read that 500 million people are on lockdown? Have you not seen the police or security services come in a house and kill the family dogs cos someone in the house had the virus and the rest carted off somewhere?

It was a biological weapon which the Chinese stole and unfortunately they never protected it like the makers the canadian government had done.

This is a proper deadly disease of which we are not being told the truth about. Look and you will find the answers. Dont believe what you are being told that's for sure.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

And you know who lives in Canada? Meghan.