Teague's programme column

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Teague's programme column

Post by gshaw »

Thanks to the wonders of t'interwebs I've had a read of his programme notes from last night. Cryptic as ever he seems to have took some hyperbole from the stooge brigade with this comment...
"this contrasts with a very limited number of our fans whose expectations every year is that LOFC will be relegated"
I'm curious, has anyone seen / heard a fan making such a comment? I can't recall one on here or Facebook so is he extrapolating one conversation for dramatic effect or making a thinly veiled dig at anyone who raises concerns? The following paragraph about remaining silent comes across as more of the latter but interested to see if anyone else reads it that way?

eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Re: Teague's programme column

Post by eagwgw »

Clearly he won't have been around for long enough to know that.

But he must be fed up of fans tweeting him telling him we are gonna be relegated unless we do something, the same stuff when Davis was getting sacked. It's reasonable that he could come to a conclusion like this.

He should be prepared for it though, if we do get back up into League 1 (which I think we will) and are run on a break-even or small loss budget (which I also think we wlll) then the expectation from most fans will be that we will be around bottom 8.

It is interesting that he said if there was nothing nice to say, say nothing at all..... and he said nothing about last night's performance. (Maybe he will, after reading this). His programme notes also said nothing about Ross, and that performances and results were way under expectations.

I do think the lack of communications from the board are mainly because of a difference of opinion, and privately Teague is more critical than his public persona. I reckon Nigel would be more relaxed, Orient being crap and doing things the hard way would not come as much of a surprise to a fan.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:39 pm Thanks to the wonders of t'interwebs I've had a read of his programme notes from last night. Cryptic as ever he seems to have took some hyperbole from the stooge brigade with this comment...
"this contrasts with a very limited number of our fans whose expectations every year is that LOFC will be relegated"
I'm curious, has anyone seen / heard a fan making such a comment? I can't recall one on here or Facebook so is he extrapolating one conversation for dramatic effect or making a thinly veiled dig at anyone who raises concerns? The following paragraph about remaining silent comes across as more of the latter but interested to see if anyone else reads it that way?
I can only think he is digging out Poundhill and COYOS.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

eagwgw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 pm It is interesting that he said if there was nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.....
That explains the near silence for the first hour of the match then. Just about all I could hear (apart from Northampton celebrating their goal) was the occasional high-pitched shrieking of the ball-boy in the baseball cap who was jumping up and down in the technical area. But the players seemed to be ignoring him, so I assumed it was just innocent youthful exuberance, and he was one of those harmless eccentrics that we love down at the Os.
eagwgw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:00 pmI do think the lack of communications from the board are mainly because of a difference of opinion, and privately Teague is more critical than his public persona. I reckon Nigel would be more relaxed, Orient being crap and doing things the hard way would not come as much of a surprise to a fan.
You got that right. Teague is ambitious, and he knows this is a long way short of where we ought to be, even with the last manager unexpectedly carking it in the summer.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

gshaw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:39 pm Thanks to the wonders of t'interwebs I've had a read of his programme notes from last night. Cryptic as ever he seems to have took some hyperbole from the stooge brigade with this comment...
Plenty of negative nincompoops on here with that sort of mindset. Interesting takedown of them- they expect failure, so if we fail they are right and if they're wrong and we dont fail then they are happy. Its win win for them.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Plenty of negative nincompoops on here with that sort of mindset. Interesting takedown of them- they expect failure, so if we fail they are right and if they're wrong and we dont fail then they are happy. Its win win for them.
He's got that right
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I'm pretty negative this season and really annoyed because we have wasted an opportunity that could so easily have been taken.

At the start of the season I expected it to be tough and would have been happy with a mid table finish but as we plunge toward relegation with every passing game I get even more angry and negative. Soz
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Impressive and measured words from Kent. Is it the case that those who openly speak of frustration at the team's plight support Orient any less than others who are less likely to criticise?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

When Russell was our Manager, even when we were struggling I was always confident Russell would find the answers and get us out of trouble. I’m not one of those fans who always predict we’ll get relegated but this season I have to admit I’m worried .
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:22 pm I'm pretty negative this season and really annoyed because we have wasted an opportunity that could so easily have been taken.

At the start of the season I expected it to be tough and would have been happy with a mid table finish but as we plunge toward relegation with every passing game I get even more angry and negative. Soz
I think that's an understandable viewpoint. Kent does not have the pain of the FB era or the relentless menial subsistence of living under Hearn's reign - but he's proven himself to be a bit of social media animal during last season. That's come back to roost this year and if I were getting bitten as regularly as he is then I'd withdraw a bit.

Personally I try to content myself, without being ignorant to the reality, that at our level we are a reasonably well run club. In the end, this tends to get clubs out of the mire.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Good old Russ. Even if we went on a bad run, it never used to worry me too much. He had earned the right. He was Orient.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:46 pm When Russell was our Manager, even when we were struggling I was always confident Russell would find the answers and get us out of trouble. I’m not one of those fans who always predict we’ll get relegated but this season I have to admit I’m worried .
I don't think we will.(Be relegated this season)
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

We won't be relegated this season, but I still think we need Embleton out ASAP. This is about making a tilt at top 7 next season now, and the lead-in for a strong campaign starts now.
Tenerife
Fresh Alias

Post by Tenerife »

I like Kent Teague. We depend on him to maintain interest and get things done. The article reads a little as if translated from another language, but I'm glad he thinks the current performance isn't good enough.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Passive aggressive, self pitying nonsense I’m afraid.

I have A LOT of time for Kent. He has integrity and the person on the board I trust most.

I assume that he’s been shut down and frustrated at things because he’s a winner and can separate emotion from reality.

But to put even some of the blame on the fans for being nagative is ludicrous and completely unproductive. As is bleating about how much he is hurting after not knowing about this club 3 years ago. I don’t doubt his wallet is hurting after numerous failures from Ling, and probably his pride. But we’re the ones hurting, Kent. And have been for 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Being pessimistic for no reason is stupid. It’s the not the same thing as being realistic and holding owners and decision makers to account.

Regardless of who you want to call out as negative, more and more people are coming around to the same conclusion. It’s easy to say that if you are pessimistic you are right some of the time, but optimism, despite the facts is equally as harmful.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Can you show me one that matches exactly what Teague says? Can't remember anyone thinking we'd get relegated last season but if you can find one by all means do
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

See some predictions here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=886&start=50

Or in the poll,
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1254

2 people out of 55 voted for relegation. They should be outed.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:46 pm When Russell was our Manager, even when we were struggling I was always confident Russell would find the answers and get us out of trouble. I’m not one of those fans who always predict we’ll get relegated but this season I have to admit I’m worried .
I don't think we will.(Be relegated this season)
Please God you’re right 🙏
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

out of interest, is it ok now to say that will might get relegated? Because of what’s happening? Or do you always have to predict promotion?

Odd stance to dismiss opinions that turn out to be nearer the mark than Teagues.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

eagwgw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:40 pm See some predictions here:

Or in the poll,
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1254

That's for this season with events of JE plus lack of squad strengthening. Find me one from last season when pretty much all round the expectation was promotion push
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

eagwgw wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:40 pm See some predictions here:

Or in the poll,
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1254

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am Sort of depend of the quality of additions in the next week. I've gone for Mid-table mediocrity (which ill be happy with). however, failure to bring in a decent midfielder, a pacey winger and a decent 3rd striker over the next week (ill settle for a midfielder in Jan if needs be), I think we'll really struggle, unless we get very lucky with injuries.
Spot on. Shock. Sorry Kent. Guess I was just lucky and it wasn’t based on obvious weaknesses.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Yeah I went mid-table in one and just surviving in the second.I thought we'd be better than what we are,though.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:58 pm Passive aggressive, self pitying nonsense I’m afraid.

I have A LOT of time for Kent. He has integrity and the person on the board I trust most.

I assume that he’s been shut down and frustrated at things because he’s a winner and can separate emotion from reality.

But to put even some of the blame on the fans for being nagative is ludicrous and completely unproductive. As is bleating about how much he is hurting after not knowing about this club 3 years ago. I don’t doubt his wallet is hurting after numerous failures from Ling, and probably his pride. But we’re the ones hurting, Kent. And have been for 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Being pessimistic for no reason is stupid. It’s the not the same thing as being realistic and holding owners and decision makers to account.

Regardless of who you want to call out as negative, more and more people are coming around to the same conclusion. It’s easy to say that if you are pessimistic you are right some of the time, but optimism, despite the facts is equally as harmful.
A lot like Daniel Levy over the last few years
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I had always assumed English was his first language until reading that.

(Sorry, Kent).
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

If a fan wrote that, the apologists would be slagging him for being entitled, and to remember that our manager died before the season began.

I can see why he wrote it. It must be more frustrating for him, given he has invested millions into the club.

But he notes that public displays of disappointment often have the opposite effect of what he intended, and isn't this a public display of disappointment?

I don't think Nigel would have said something like this. His style would be to take collective responsibility, like he did with Fletcher even though much of that could not be his fault, the board would just go with Lingy's recommendations.

The coaching staff and players would read Teague and think the geezer has no understanding of what is going on. It seems implausible as a fan to be suffering 'hurt' or 'hardship' or 'suffering', yet if we were 4 points better off in the League (which would put us 14th), there would not be these feelings.

On reflection I think these terms are wrong. Justin's family, that's hurt and hardship. A few points off a mid-table position or some crap performances is not. Disappointing maybe, but if I were the owners I would not be feeling hurt, either the coaches improve or we get someone else, it is simple.