No money or no clue?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Frogger
Fresh Alias

No money or no clue?

Post by Frogger »

I think a bit of both. Board spent what they had in Fletcher and some crap contracts. RE was clearly the only option the club had.

Then keeping Ling has meant awful signings with clearly not a clue what to do. I feel sorry for the board, they have put their trust in Ling and he has not got a clue.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: No money or no clue?

Post by o-no »

It’s going to be very tough for them to turn round now, having lauded Ling again and again, to admit to any shortcomings on his part. As others have said, I fear we are stuck with the current setup come what may. Only actually being bottom of the table might change this.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Didn't Travis say he was looking for new investors?

Given that nobody puts money in without some kind of stake in the club, it says to me that either he or Teague have lost appetite to keep their funding at current levels.

Not that I can blame them. Reaching the Championship is the level where the club actually becomes worth anything, but financing a push to get there is very expensive. We'd probably have to run wage deficits of £3m+, and that would only get us level on spending power with the bigger clubs in League 1.

IMO the Eagle loan to the club would be £10m+ by the time we get into League 1 again. After a few years of League 1, it might be up to £15m, more if we choose to push for promotion.

Assuming the split was 50/50, what would have Teague got for that? A lower table L1 club with fans moaning at him to spend some cash on better players, despite the fact he would have sunk in £7.5m+ with no real prospect of a return. At some point, the opportunity cost of providing for family might become more important than owing a football club which costs money every year.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I thought an investor had come on board but it was not being announced as he wanted to be a silent investor? Someone from Pepsi if I recall correctly. I also seem to recall he could buy the club outright as he has serious money?

I don’t think the club has run out of money, I don’t think either of the owners want to cut their investment nor do I believe that they have lost interest. What they have stated time and again is a setup that attains promotion Every 3/4 years. That says we build slowly and surely and I’ve nothig negative to say about that as I want my club to exist long after I’ve left this mortal coil so I’m on board with that.

What’s happened is we’ve ran faster than we could walk, which is fine as we had both the manager and players able to support that. The club has been working dam hard in the backroom stuff getting that up to speed. Everyone can see that we have made massive progress since the takeover in that respect. The only downside is that costs escalate as you move up and we may or may not yet have the commercial side up to the level that it needs to be to support the playing side. Someone mentioned that Danny has been targeted to bring in another £250k, that does not say we are short of cash, but says it moves us closer to be at a position to support the loss as we move towards a more sustainable model.

Everything is going fine except on the pitch and to me the issue lies with he head coach and now that he has been appointed we need to support him and hope that he finds the answers we are looking for.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

If the rumour is true about us signing George Alexander then I would say it's more to do with us not having a clue .
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:22 pm If the rumour is true about us signing George Alexander then I would say it's more to do with us not having a clue .
Whilst I can’t commet on the boys ability, it would suggest that we really don’t know what to do with our strikers. Secondly if he’s number 1 on that supposed list of 10 then it must be questionable who we are actually looking at.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Or is it there is money but T&T don't trust Ling to spend it so have turned the taps off for now to avoid blowing any more cash on Fletcher Mk2 (players or managers)

As an aside if writing off the debts was a gift why is it booked as an ever-growing loan?
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

In Ling they trust!
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

It’s both. They don’t want to put their own money into the club and any money borrowed is not going to be spent unless it’s imperative. Teague and Travis know the best part of f*** all about football and trust Ling to deal with that side of things. Problem is, he has no idea what he’s doing. Blind leading the blind with no money. What a time to be alive
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

gshaw wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 pm Or is it there is money but T&T don't trust Ling to spend it so have turned the taps off for now to avoid blowing any more cash on Fletcher Mk2 (players or managers)

As an aside if writing off the debts was a gift why is it booked as an ever-growing loan?
The comment of writing the debt off was made post year end so they may well have acted on that comment in this years accounts.
koppio
Fresh Alias

Post by koppio »

It's all about money and the owners being unwilling / unable to invest any funds beyond what the original budget for this season required. They are trying to minimize the cost effect of the "Fletcher Stuff Up". They are happy to settle for 23rd place because additional funding to get us to mid-table is just not there. A very dangerous and short term strategy
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

koppio wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am It's all about money and the owners being unwilling / unable to invest any funds beyond what the original budget for this season required. They are trying to minimize the cost effect of the "Fletcher Stuff Up". They are happy to settle for 23rd place because additional funding to get us to mid-table is just not there. A very dangerous and short term strategy
Very accurate comment.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

koppio wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am It's all about money and the owners being unwilling / unable to invest any funds beyond what the original budget for this season required. They are trying to minimize the cost effect of the "Fletcher Stuff Up". They are happy to settle for 23rd place because additional funding to get us to mid-table is just not there. A very dangerous and short term strategy
I agree with this. Ive thought its about money for a while now
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:32 am
I agree with this. Ive thought its about money for a while now

It’s shear madness on the owners part and they have the audacity to expect people to keep paying out to come to watch the absolute sh*te on offer. I really hope that many fans will Boycott Tuesdays game to show that this p*ss take is totally unacceptable !
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

He was annoyed and angry and it’s the first time we’ve seen that side of him. Hopefully a rocket or two was shoved up some of the players and the response will be clearly seen tomorrow night.
Luckybay1969
Fresh Alias

Post by Luckybay1969 »

I agree needs to be - this Tuesday will tell us everything we need to know - if we ain’t up for it - god help us -hopefully we can - not confident though tbh