What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by jamespevans »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:29 pm I have recorded Catch 22 and will watch it tonight. I'd be insane not to.

This is one of my favourite books of all time which I read when I was 17. The Mike Nichols film of the 70s was such a disappointment. Alan Arkin wasn't a very good Yossarian and was no match for the character I had built up in my head.

I can still remember the night it was on the telly and leaving my girlfriend 's to go home early to watch it with my old man.
I'm the bore who always corrects people when they refer to something being a Catch-22. Read a Guardian article yesterday and it turns our that Heller was even worse than me. Still remember the moment late in the book when something I thought had happened hadn't happened (trying to avoid spoilers here) and the punch the air feeling associated with it.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Not sure I’m following you, Pevans. Please explain.

I’ve not got sky/now so waiting for GoT s8 and Chernobyl to turn up elsewhere. Instead, been watching some “freeview” boxsets instead.

Killing Eve (bbc) was good fun again, even if they just repeated the s1 storyline. That Jodie Komer is brilliant.

Years and Years (bbc) was a typical Russell T Davies show. The moralising was heavy handed and the ending was naff, but the imagined near future was interesting and plausible enough to keep me interested.

The best thing I’ve watched was The Virtues (c4). By the bloke who made This Is England. It’s traumatic but the acting is brilliant and there’s enough humorous moments to stop it getting too grim.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

HARVEY T DENTON wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32 am Gomorrah season 4. After the Repair Shop its the best thing on tv.
Going to start on Gomorrah next- heard great things about it.
The Virtues was the best thing I've seen in a while.
I also.watched episode one of Sally 4 Ever but am too scared to watch the rest as it was so good.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Looking forward to the Frank Sidebottom documentary tonight.
Always wanted to see what went on inside his head.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Dont
jamespevans wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:10 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:29 pm I have recorded Catch 22 and will watch it tonight. I'd be insane not to.

This is one of my favourite books of all time which I read when I was 17. The Mike Nichols film of the 70s was such a disappointment. Alan Arkin wasn't a very good Yossarian and was no match for the character I had built up in my head.

I can still remember the night it was on the telly and leaving my girlfriend 's to go home early to watch it with my old man.
I'm the bore who always corrects people when they refer to something being a Catch-22. Read a Guardian article yesterday and it turns our that Heller was even worse than me. Still remember the moment late in the book when something I thought had happened hadn't happened (trying to avoid spoilers here) and the punch the air feeling associated with it.
Don't ever categorise yourself as a bore. Episode 1 was brilliant because it dealt with Catch 22 (Catch 18 If Joey Heller is to be believed)
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

Have finished Gomorrah. Took me till the end of Series 1 to get into it but then I was hooked. I am a sucker for this type of stuff- Sopranos, the Wire, Love Hate, Narcos etc which is amazing as I have never taken any drugs in my life.
To anyone who hasn't seen it all i would say is don't get too attached to any character.
Loved the music at the end of each episode- i imagine it in my head each time I enter my bosses office.
Its a 10/10 for me.

Other current favourites are Queer Eye, Gameface and This Way Up.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Constanza wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:53 pm Have finished Gomorrah. Took me till the end of Series 1 to get into it but then I was hooked. I am a sucker for this type of stuff- Sopranos, the Wire, Love Hate, Narcos etc which is amazing as I have never taken any drugs in my life.
To anyone who hasn't seen it all i would say is don't get too attached to any character.
Loved the music at the end of each episode- i imagine it in my head each time I enter my bosses office.
Its a 10/10 for me.

Other current favourites are Queer Eye, Gameface and This Way Up.
The Shield?
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Loved Narcos too, Constanza.

The not dis-similar, but obviously London based 'Top Boy' has also just returned with a new series on Netflix, though I'm yet to clock it.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Bosch what a good series this is. Just started season 4 and I love the part of Harry Bosch and all of the issues that surround him in his life and duty to his job. Top story telling through the course of a series and one I want to keep coming back to.

Absolutely love it and if you’ve not yet seen it I can fully recommend it, you will not be disappointed.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Plenty of good stuff on the Beeb right now. Enjoyed the camp Dracula 3-parter, and think the Chrissie Keeler/Profumo Affair series is well done from the “girls” perspective.

But the best thing on is the Storyville: Jonestown 2-part documentary on bbc4/iplayer. Using loads of contemporary audio & video footage, and interviews with defectors/survivors, it was both fascinating and terrifying study in demagoguery and how cult members can slide from a utopian community vision to a brainwashed nightmare situation.

I knew the headlines of the story (the deaths of 900 odd in 1978 at the Guyana commune by “revolutionary suicide”) and the pedantically wrong “drinking the kool-aid” quip that came from it, but that was it. Shame so many post-hippy communes turned sour. I’d highly recommend viewing this WTF! one.

And then there’s The Masked Singer on itv :) Pretty good-but-crap teatime tv, despite the usual stringing-things-out and the irritating presence of Davina McCall.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Watched gamechangers over the weekend(can be found on Netflix or Youtube). Something of an eye opener on the virtues of a plant based diet. Whilst not turning me vegan or anything like that I think it might have done a job and made me think about my meat intake and the benefits of alternatives.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Working my way through fifteen of ER on All4. Six series nearly done, nine to go
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

The message, board to see if our new players have turned up yet.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

slacker wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm Plenty of good stuff on the Beeb right now. Enjoyed the camp Dracula 3-parter, and think the Chrissie Keeler/Profumo Affair series is well done from the “girls” perspective.

But the best thing on is the Storyville: Jonestown 2-part documentary on bbc4/iplayer. Using loads of contemporary audio & video footage, and interviews with defectors/survivors, it was both fascinating and terrifying study in demagoguery and how cult members can slide from a utopian community vision to a brainwashed nightmare situation.

I knew the headlines of the story (the deaths of 900 odd in 1978 at the Guyana commune by “revolutionary suicide”) and the pedantically wrong “drinking the kool-aid” quip that came from it, but that was it. Shame so many post-hippy communes turned sour. I’d highly recommend viewing this WTF! one.

And then there’s The Masked Singer on itv :) Pretty good-but-crap teatime tv, despite the usual stringing-things-out and the irritating presence of Davina McCall.
Will give that a go, sounds a bit like Netflix's Wild Wild Country.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I have recently enjoyed

The Act
Back To Life (BBC) - comedy about a woman who returns home after prison.
Capturing The Friedmans
Sorry To Bother You
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:40 pm Yorkshire ripper docu series on iplayer- what an awful time to be alive, shocking police work.
Unbelievable and quite shocking how stupidly stubborn plod were with the tape, whilst ignoring the victim survivors insistence that it was a Yorky voice they heard before the hammer started to fall.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dark materials is also a good watch.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Just watched Mrs Lowry and Son on Netflix.

Not the most exciting film, but Vanessa Redgrave and Tim Spalls put in suberb acting performances.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Criminal - quite decent.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Giri Haji was quite fun, if occasionally a little odd.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Sounds foreign.
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

slacker wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Slacker, I can highly recommend "The Road To Jonestown " by Jeff Gunn, an astounding read.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Real Al wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 pm Just watched Mrs Lowry and Son on Netflix.

Not the most exciting film, but Vanessa Redgrave and Tim Spalls put in suberb acting performances.
Roger that.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am Giri Haji was quite fun, if occasionally a little odd.
I’ve heard that’s good. Better get a move on if I want to watch it on iplayer, mind.

Anyways, more documentary WTAF-ery after the Jonestown one. Don’t F*ck With Cats (netflix) is a truly bizarre 3-parter as a bunch of obsessive interweb twats decide to stalk a pyscho troll who posts up a video of himself killing kittens. It gets worse as the angry mob feed the troll and he escalates his mind-bottling behaviour.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Does it show any cats being hurt? Dont want to see that.