Signing at 4.30pm

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Signing at 4.30pm

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

gshaw wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm
whittle81 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 pm For Sarge, it is a bitter pill to swallow, to find out that immediatly the transfer window opens, the club sign a new goalkeeper. I think unless Lawrence Vigouroux gets injured, before the season ends it will be the end for Sarge at Orient.
It's end of the road for one of Sargeant and Brill. Both under contract though so could be an awkward one to sort out.

We do need two good keepers challenging each other though. Janata doesn't seem up to that right now so the signing makes sense on that front.
Brill to revert back to his original role as goalkeeping coach . ?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 pm
gshaw wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm
whittle81 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 pm For Sarge, it is a bitter pill to swallow, to find out that immediatly the transfer window opens, the club sign a new goalkeeper. I think unless Lawrence Vigouroux gets injured, before the season ends it will be the end for Sarge at Orient.
It's end of the road for one of Sargeant and Brill. Both under contract though so could be an awkward one to sort out.

We do need two good keepers challenging each other though. Janata doesn't seem up to that right now so the signing makes sense on that front.
Brill to revert back to his original role as goalkeeping coach . ?
Didn't we get another GK coach in when Brill went onto the playing staff?
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

I don't understand what the issue is. We needed a keeper to provide cover or competition for Sergeant and no decent third choice at a Championship side would have come in as cover. He is good enough to be offered an 18 month contract and, hopefully, it deals with succession issues re Brill.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Agreed.

The only issue here is we extended Brills contract to June 2021. This guy plus Sarge means we’re adequately covered in this position for the first time in years.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So now we have 4 keepers in the first team squad, a bit too heavy in my opinion. Pathway for sarge and Janata’s now blocked and brill is out long term
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 pm So now we have 4 keepers in the first team squad, a bit too heavy in my opinion. Pathway for sarge and Janata’s now blocked and brill is out long term
Bit misleading that when one isn't going to play this season (or possibly again) and the other is a youth keeper with 0 games of league experience.
Last edited by Smendrick Feaselberg on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Says he was at Everton but it wasn't the real Everton.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 pm So now we have 4 keepers in the first team squad, a bit too heavy in my opinion. Pathway for sarge and Janata’s now blocked and brill is out long term
So you think we should have seen out the season with Sarge and Janata? Right oh.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Yep I probably would have done so. The reason for saying that is so that we can utilise the available funds to strengthen on field positions thus giving us the best opportunity to stay up this year.

I was told that Janata is a top prospect and one we wanted to develop, when I’ve seen him play he’s done well. Sarge has not let us down and it’s time for him to stake a claim to the role so I’d probably roll with that.

I’m happy the new guy is in.
Milo_T
Fresh Alias

Post by Milo_T »

Love all this bollocks. He's a great keeper and in 3 months you're all be chanting his name. Obviously bitter pill for sarge but in reality if he had his mind right early doors would already be playing at a much higher level
whittle81
Fresh Alias

Post by whittle81 »

I suppose at least with the club signing a goalkeeper so early in the transfer window, Sarge know's exactly where he stands, as the club just don't rate him as 1st choice anytime soon.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm Yep I probably would have done so. The reason for saying that is so that we can utilise the available funds to strengthen on field positions thus giving us the best opportunity to stay up this year.

I was told that Janata is a top prospect and one we wanted to develop, when I’ve seen him play he’s done well. Sarge has not let us down and it’s time for him to stake a claim to the role so I’d probably roll with that.

I’m happy the new guy is in.
Yeah, sounds like it.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

UpminsterO wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:15 am Just watched his highlights 2016 - 17 you tube

He is excellent - distribution with feet and saved by feet first class

At 26 we are fortunate

Well done Lofc on this signing
Difference is we have fullbacks in Ling and Widdowson who won’t show for the ball. This could be catastrophic.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

jamespevans wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:51 pm I don't understand what the issue is. We needed a keeper to provide cover or competition for Sergeant and no decent third choice at a Championship side would have come in as cover. He is good enough to be offered an 18 month contract and, hopefully, it deals with succession issues re Brill.
The issue what comeonuos is saying on the previous page, is not so much the goalkeeper signing but the bigger, more worrying picture at this club. Personally, I think this latest event can be used as a distraction. The fact of the matter is we are at a big disadvantage to other clubs when looking at the field of management recruitment. That is the reality which, amazingly, some want to avoid.
I think this is what Comeonuos is saying and if it is then I concur with him.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

New guy looks too good for this level

People calling this an insult to Sergent need to Chile out
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:54 am
jamespevans wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:51 pm I don't understand what the issue is. We needed a keeper to provide cover or competition for Sergeant and no decent third choice at a Championship side would have come in as cover. He is good enough to be offered an 18 month contract and, hopefully, it deals with succession issues re Brill.
The issue what comeonuos is saying on the previous page, is not so much the goalkeeper signing but the bigger, more worrying picture at this club. Personally, I think this latest event can be used as a distraction. The fact of the matter is we are at a big disadvantage to other clubs when looking at the field of management recruitment. That is the reality which, amazingly, some want to avoid.
So we’re signing players that improve our starting eleven so as to distract us whiny fans from other issues. Not to improve the starting eleven.

Can you lot even hear yourselves?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:54 am
Did you type that with a straight face?
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

I typed it with my normal facial expression. And it worries me that our management set up at the club limits us greatly as to what type of manager we can go for. Sounds like you don't see this as a problem, but I do. Quite a big problem in fact. You see no hindrance with a DOF, and, again, I do. Nothing complicated this. I notice how much you jump in on this board with a differing opinion, and in such a self righteous tone.
Maybe you should start being a tad more tolerant of other people's views, eh Smen..
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am I typed it with my normal facial expression. And it worries me that our management set up at the club limits us greatly as to what type of manager we can go for. Sounds like you don't see this as a problem, but I do. Quite a big problem in fact. You see no hindrance with a DOF, and, again, I do. Nothing complicated this. I notice how much you jump in on this board with a differing opinion, and in such a self righteous tone.
Maybe you should start being a tad more tolerant of other people's views, eh Smen..
It's not a case of being intolerant to a view or that anyone thinks that the current management structure is desirable. It's just that you and ComeOnYouOs are spouting indisputable nonsense by claiming that this is to distract from other issues.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Look at those sneaky bastards, trying to fool us by signing this quality goalkeeper. It's a disgrace!
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 am
Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:31 am I typed it with my normal facial expression. And it worries me that our management set up at the club limits us greatly as to what type of manager we can go for. Sounds like you don't see this as a problem, but I do. Quite a big problem in fact. You see no hindrance with a DOF, and, again, I do. Nothing complicated this. I notice how much you jump in on this board with a differing opinion, and in such a self righteous tone.
It's not a case of being intolerant to a view or that anyone thinks that the current management structure is desirable. It's just that you and ComeOnYouOs are spouting indisputable nonsense by claiming that this is to distract from other issues.
Have a bit more vision, Smen. No one is saying they made this signing 'especially' as a distraction from the manager situation. But at the same time it's a convenient distraction. Because you don't see any problem with the Dof, you only see a positive with the signing. I also see it as a positive, but it doesn't hide the much bigger problem this club has - in my opinion - behind the scenes. Like I say, use a bit of foresight.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 pm
Have a bit more vision, Smen. No one is saying they made this signing 'especially' as a distraction from the manager situation. But at the same time it's a convenient distraction. Because you don't see any problem with the Dof, you only see a positive with the signing. I also see it as a positive, but it doesn't hide the much bigger problem this club has - in my opinion - behind the scenes. Like I say, use a bit of foresight.
Again, it's just simplistic nonsense to say I think this is a positive signing because I don't see a problem with the DoF (which is not true). I evaluate decisions indivdually based on their merits and not because of anything else. It doesn't make me happy with the management structure. And it's clearly not a distraction. The current football management are not going to be happy with things continuing as they are and are making steps to improve. Which is as you'd expect them to do even if some fans aren't happy with them or the structure.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

This signing had been in the pipe line for a weeks . Even Lawrence himself said in he's interview that he had been watching us for a few weeks . To say his signing is a distraction from the DOF situation is nonsense. In that case , will our next signings also be a distraction. If their of a similar quality to Lawrence Vigouroux than you won't hear me complaining.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I'm not going to be happy until we go back to signing sub-standard players. At least then we'll know it's not a ploy.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Again, it's just simplistic nonsense to say I think this is a positive signing because I don't see a problem with the DoF (which is not true). I evaluate decisions indivdually based on their merits and not because of anything else. It doesn't make me happy with the management structure. And it's clearly not a distraction. The current football management are not going to be happy with things continuing as they are and are making steps to improve. Which is as you'd expect them to do even if some fans aren't happy with them or the structure.
OK, whether you believe in the DOF or not, all the original poster was saying is that he sees a bigger problem to worry about, as you seem to agree with also in the above, rather than get too over excited about a new signing. That's more or less what was being said. You seem to have a habit of making something out of nothing at times.
And as I've already said it may not have been a contrived distraction, but a distraction it is only if, on a personal level, you're more concerned about the much bigger problem that needs to be addressed behind the scenes.