Over to you Daniel Levy....

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Re: Over to you Daniel Levy....

Post by Scuba Diver »

RedO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:29 pm
DuvB wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:26 pm
Scuba Diver wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:54 am Since Yiddish is the primary language of the state of Israel, I don't see that the shortened version (to Yid, as almost a nickname) is that much reason for hysteria, personally.
Unless you were Jewish. Then its a goddam insult.

Can you imagine if someone tried to claim the word P*ki was just a 'nickname' for people from Pakistan?

Ignore, he's trolling. That or he's anti-semitic.
My apologies, if I've caused offence with this.
Clearly, my understanding is insufficient for the claims that I've made here, so I will retract the statement, which I based around Jewish, Spurs-supporting friends I have, and their flippancy towards the word.
Of course, their take on it doesn't mean it's not offensive to others, so I should have considered this before posting.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

UpminsterO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:46 pm You see Spen and others.

People are generally rather thick and very uneducated - even you Spen a solicitor and chartered accountant confirmed in a post some weeks ago you were "not educated"
Actually, I didn't, but don't worry about that.

I actually said I don't claim to be educated. I don't make any claim about the quality of my education. That is very different from saying I am not educated....
Let me educate you on this particular subject in a few more words.

I have a surname that is clearly associated with the Jewish people religious or non religious,however despite not having any clothing or hair appearance that could associate me with that group have experienced both in Essex and Kentucky anti Jewish racist remarks.

In fact in Essex in 1972 I was surrounded in a "posh" public house in Gidea Park by four big louts looking at my Star of David neck chain in an era when wearing that was not deemed anything other than fashionable.

Fast forward to 2011 in Kentucky USA I had a business where an ex employee who I had sacked for gross misconduct wrote on the public toilet door in my premises " get out of this town Yid"

Don't ever tell me there is not intent to offend using that word

Erk not sure what that has to do with what I said, unless you are claiming the Spurs fans who call themselves Yids and refer to themselves as the Yid Army are intending to offend themselves..

I think you are having a different conversation to the point I made. I specifically referred to the Spurs fans and what they call themselves.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:25 pm

People are generally rather thick and very uneducated - even you Spen a solicitor and chartered accountant confirmed in a post some weeks ago you were "not educated"
Actually, I didn't, but don't worry about that.

I actually said I don't claim to be educated. I don't make any claim about the quality of my education. That is very different from saying I am not educated....

I have a surname that is clearly associated with the Jewish people religious or non religious,however despite not having any clothing or hair appearance that could associate me with that group have experienced both in Essex and Kentucky anti Jewish racist remarks.

In fact in Essex in 1972 I was surrounded in a "posh" public house in Gidea Park by four big louts looking at my Star of David neck chain in an era when wearing that was not deemed anything other than fashionable.

Fast forward to 2011 in Kentucky USA I had a business where an ex employee who I had sacked for gross misconduct wrote on the public toilet door in my premises " get out of this town Yid"

Erk not sure what that has to do with what I said, unless you are claiming the Spurs fans who call themselves Yids and refer to themselves as the Yid Army are intending to offend themselves..

I think you are having a different conversation to the point I made. I specifically referred to the Spurs fans and what they call themselves.
Does it matter who, what and if they are trying to offend? It's racist and offensive.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

UpminsterO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Spen I get so fed up with your mind gsmes and attempts to defuse your written intent I live in a place where it's very late in the day tomorrow if I save a patience and time I re read your words and will consider you further

What really gets me down about you over a long time is the way you inflame a subject then attempt to weasel out of any criticism. When that fails who then get rude by trying to be clever - you then go quite for a few days and re surface
You've explained his MO clearly. So why respond to him?

He knows there are all kinds of sensitivities around this issue and is only seeking to inflame them.

My concern here is that these brazen displays of racism by fans is becoming a regular occurence and needs to be dealt with.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Does it matter who, what and if they are trying to offend? It's racist and offensive.
How can you be racist against yourself?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Spen I get so fed up with your mind games and attempts to defuse your written intent I live in a place where it's very late in the day tomorrow if I have the patience, interest and time I re read your words and will consider you further

What really gets me down about you over a long time is the way you inflame a subject then attempt to weasel out of any criticism. When that fails who then get rude by trying to be over clever - you then go quite for a few days and re surface - the topic may change but your logic,to you only,propels you to try the same game on another subject matter - how you ever passed the exams to work in those two professions is a real mystery

You are exceptionally decisive person intent to upset on here

I really have no idea what your are attacking me for.

I have posted about people calling themselves Yids are not being racist against the selves

You appear when not insulting or attacking me to be taking about non Yids calling others Yids. A very different debate and not one I have expressed a view on
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

UpminsterO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:51 pm I guess max I respond to him because I try to clarify his comments and / hope he will change - however I'm not on a moral crusade of character rehabilition because that person just fails by default to ever understand or acknowledge his behaviour.

Historically he has been exceptionally rude and demeaning to me on here - he would deny it but he knows - he will never admit any wrongdoing and that is divisive because the actually knows what he is playing at
Why post about me at all?

Why not debate the top of the thread which was about Spurs fans and them using the term Yids?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

So if I start calling myself a n*gga, and singing songs about me being a n*gga, that's ok? (I'm a white man, by the way).
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:42 pm
Red_Army wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:27 pm

How can you be racist against yourself?
A Jewish person can be anti-semitic.

Lots of us cop that line.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

There is no place for racism in football or anywhere else , and I can’t understand the mentality of supporters who aim abuse at opposition players when they have their own black players.
Re the yid thing at Spurs that’s more problematic as spurs supporters adopted that stance as a defence mechanism against the antiemetic abuse aimed at their Jewish supporters. The worse example of racism at football was the hissing sounds mimicking the gas chambers , but I don’t recall any public outrage at the time.
Racism in football is not a recent phenomenon and our older supporters will no doubt recall the anti Semitic abuse aimed at the orient and mark lazerous by millwall supporters.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Spen I get so fed up with your mind games and attempts to defuse your written intent I live in a place where it's very late in the day tomorrow if I have the patience, interest and time I re read your words and will consider you further

What really gets me down about you over a long time is the way you inflame a subject then attempt to weasel out of any criticism. When that fails who then get rude by trying to be over clever - you then go quite for a few days and re surface - the topic may change but your logic,to you only,propels you to try the same game on another subject matter - how you ever passed the exams to work in those two professions is a real mystery

I have posted about people calling themselves Yids are not being racist against the selves

You appear when not insulting or attacking me to be taking about non Yids calling others Yids. A very different debate and not one I have expressed a view on
You most certainly can be 'racist against yourself', but besides that, do you honestly think that every Spurs fan who chants it is Jewish?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Of course they're not.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

If this thread doesn’t result in at least one ban I’ll be astonished
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:10 pm

You most certainly can be 'racist against yourself', but besides that, do you honestly think that every Spurs fan who chants it is Jewish?

How can you possibly be racist against yourself?
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 pm

By saying racist things about your own group.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

It's absolutely possible to have a hatred of oneself, a self-loathing of what you are. Surely you can understand that?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:43 pm

That is answering a different question.

I asked how can someone be racist against himself, not against a group.

Someone calling themselves a Yid is not discriminating against himself
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:49 pm

RedO says it above.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

FOR THE LOVE OF THE LITTLE BABY JESUS, PLEASE MAKE THIS MIND-NUMBING PEDANTRY STOP!
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:57 pm

RedO says it above.
He doesn't want to actually enter a debate about the very important subject at hand, he's just playing his usual boring word games.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

RedO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 pm
Red_Army wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:57 pm

RedO says it above.
He doesn't want to actually enter a debate about the very important subject at hand, he's just playing his usual boring word games.
Indeed.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

RedO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:58 pm FOR THE LOVE OF THE LITTLE BABY JESUS, PLEASE MAKE THIS MIND-NUMBING PEDANTRY STOP!
It's not peasantry at all, it's the heart of the issue re Spurs fans.

If a Spurs fan calms himself a Yid, how is that Racist?

He is talking about himself.

In the same way some black people use the N word to describe themselves. It's not possible to be racist about yourself
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:27 pm
RedO wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:58 pm FOR THE LOVE OF THE LITTLE BABY JESUS, PLEASE MAKE THIS MIND-NUMBING PEDANTRY STOP!

In the same way some black people use the N word to describe themselves. It's not possible to be racist about yourself
You know nothing about this issue please stop embarrassing yourself. Have you ever been on the end if racist abuse, or had to sit quietly whilst other people said offensive things not knowing you were offended by it? It's the most horrible and belittling feeling and one that makes you feel different and unwelcome.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Stop fanning the flames.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

spen666 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:27 pm

It's not the same way that black people use the N word at all.

You seem to be concluding that Spurs fans are Jewish. That's obviously not the case.

I know you're just trying to be contrary/pedantic and it's not badly intended, presumably just done out of boredom, but by trying to play your silly games around these sensitive issues you're coming across as bit of a ****. Maybe reconsider if that's how you want to appear?