Where's Diane Abbott?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Where's Diane Abbott?

Post by StockholmO »

Haven't heard a squeak out of her during your election campaign.

Are they saving the big hitters until later or has she been muted?
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Where's Diane Abbott?

Post by Lovejoy »

She was muted during the run up to the last election because she was embarrassing the Labour party, perhaps they have done the same this time.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Her & Jacob Rhys Mogg have gone to Bocco Island
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Probably in her kip this time of night.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

The less we see of her the better things are. A fellow border on here said she’s his mp and that she is utterly useless. Not sure you could get a better recommendation than from a constituent.

We all know she’s in her position cos of the favours she given a certain steptoe. She is certainly not there on merit.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Who cares, she is embarrassing when she is out there, gets the Labour Party no votes from her media performances IMO
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

EliotNes wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:44 am Who cares, she is embarrassing when she is out there, gets the Labour Party no votes from her media performances IMO
Apparently according to Diane Abbott, Al-Qaeda and the Tamil Tigers are only dissident groups and not terrorists . Also Corbyn reckons terrorists shouldn't have to serve their full term in prison . Boris has just been handed the election on a plate .
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm
EliotNes wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:44 am Who cares, she is embarrassing when she is out there, gets the Labour Party no votes from her media performances IMO
Apparently according to Diane Abbott, Al-Qaeda and the Tamil Tigers are only dissident groups and not terrorists . Also Corbyn reckons terrorists shouldn't have to serve their full term in prison . Boris has just been handed the election on a plate .
To be fair to Corbyn, his comments re serving full term were far more nuanced and not unreasonable in the context he was saying them.

I disagree with him on terrorists and national security.

Sadly for JC, he seems a little out dated when it comes to media interviews and soundbites. He doesnt come across well in this setting. He is far better as an orator than an interviewee
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:28 pm
That’s not what he said.

But I fully expect the MSM to report that he did, and thickies to believe it.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

Still waiting for her to come to Jezza's aid in his hour of need. Granted her and Michael Portillo had chemistry sitting on the couch together. Also, for balance where's Jacob Rees Mogg?
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

I done this subject to death and got all sorts of abuse for saying she is kept away from public scrutiny because she is just about the most incompetent person ever to grace the front benches, so I will make no further comment.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Redcard wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:28 am I done this subject to death and got all sorts of abuse for saying she is kept away from public scrutiny because she is just about the most incompetent person ever to grace the front benches, so I will make no further comment.
She's an embarrassment to the party, and her position is staggering.

Interesting that she's always banging the drum for racial and sexual equality as, she's only in the job because she's:
a) black
b) a woman.

It's an attempt to hoover up votes. This irony seems to be completely lost on her.
No way would a white male with her level of competence be considered for the role.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Hiding with Wally.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Abbott was campaigning with Unison members at Homerton Hospital this morning.

She has been pretty low profile this GE, but so have many other front-benchers on both sides. Few seem to bang on & on about that. Her counterpart - Priti Patel - hasn’t exactly been very visible either. But then her gaffe in a Torygraph column just the other day (Labour winning would see an increase of 52 murders in the country), that caused a few awkward moments for Johnson, might explain why Cummings is keeping her off the front pages & national TV too.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

slacker wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 am Abbott was campaigning with Unison members at Homerton Hospital this morning.

She has been pretty low profile this GE, but so have many other front-benchers on both sides. Few seem to bang on & on about that. Her counterpart - Priti Patel - hasn’t exactly been very visible either. But then her gaffe in a Torygraph column just the other day (Labour winning would see an increase of 52 murders in the country), that caused a few awkward moments for Johnson, might explain why Cummings is keeping her off the front pages & national TV too.
The worrying thing is that so many senior politicians on all sides are not trusted to be high profile in Election campaign but would be expected to represent the UK if their party won the election.

If they can't be trusted to campaign, are they really fit to lead this nation in negotiations etc with foreign powers.

Note, I am not making a party political point as this applies to politicians on all sides of the campaign
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I actually agree with spen, the standard of politician is at an all time low right now.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Thor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am I actually agree with spen, the standard of politician is at an all time low right now.
My concern is that party leaders deem them unsuitable for campaigning but will appoint them to represent the country.

What does that say about Party Leadership and its attitude to the country on a world stage
Last edited by spen666 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Well, like all of us some will have different skill sets & weaknesses, and not being a fantastic soundbite campaigner on the national stage shouldn’t write some off completely as useless. I look back at Churchill (great at soundbites and wartime motivation but a poor peacetime politician) and Attlee (the opposite) as examples.

I also think many of the current bunch (across the board) don’t have the skills to negotiate the 24/7 media minefield - be it either mainstream or social media. Maybe it’s an age thing, as most of them are older. Every mis-step gets amplified, scorned and widely distributed. But then a lot of people lap it up and seem to revel in seeing public figures (not just politicians) humiliated. It’s a sad state of affairs all round.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

It's also worth noting that, especially on TV, the very nature of journalism seems to be changing. There seems to be this constant need for a "gotcha" moment - even relatively innocuous interviews now have an edge where the interviewer is trying to trip up the interviewee to get the "moment", rather than to explore the subject.

Some interviewers seem to be more interested in their own profile that getting to "the truth".

I don't know the price of a pint of milk - so why should Boris Johnson, for example?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 am It's also worth noting that, especially on TV, the very nature of journalism seems to be changing. There seems to be this constant need for a "gotcha" moment - even relatively innocuous interviews now have an edge where the interviewer is trying to trip up the interviewee to get the "moment", rather than to explore the subject.

Some interviewers seem to be more interested in their own profile that getting to "the truth".

I don't know the price of a pint of milk - so why should Boris Johnson, for example?
I agree with that and it comes from the "competition" from internet "media" news where they are struggling to keep up with a lie machine and media manipulation.

For example, Kuenesberg tweets "news" generated by Conservative Party Central Office without fact checking it which is an ethical error and breaks BBC news guidelines. It is certainly not journalism.

There needs to be proper journalistic standards across all media and the first step in that process is to address the ownership issue.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Also where is the Home Secretary and come to that any other female cabinet members, the only one put forward has been Nicky Morgan and she is not standing again. Its the same for Labour all the smart girls being kept quiet. I sense that any future leadership potential is being stiffled on both sides lest they appear more cogent than the two bumbling leaders and thats not difficult.

Mikero
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Thor wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am I actually agree with spen, the standard of politician is at an all time low right now.
Yes, that’s undeniable.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:56 pm
Yes, that’s undeniable.
Yes but the Tories are worse because they tell more lies.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

All politicians tell lies, always have done and thats across all parties nothing new in your comment.