What have you really enjoyed about the last decade of Tory rule?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: What have you really enjoyed about the last decade of Tory rule?

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dunners wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:21 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:18 pm
Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 am Are you referring to the WORLDWIDE economic crisis of 2008? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial ... E2%80%9308
Worldwide or not makes f*** all difference. The Tories inherited a sh*t of a position and needed to take drastic action. This is naff all to do with playing politics and everything to do with the reality of the situation.

People need to remember that.
Erm, it has everything to do with politics as the Tories politicised it. They still go on about inheriting the financial mess that "Labour created," despite it being conveniently acknowledged as a worldwide financial crisis when it suits them. I don't recall many of them objecting to Gordon Brown's intervention when the banks were hours away from failing. They were also unable to argue against Brown's economic management up until then, as he had effectively just continued where the Major government had left off (i.e. PFI etc).
Why are you bothering?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Lunch break.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Anything nice?
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 am Are you referring to the WORLDWIDE economic crisis of 2008? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial ... E2%80%9308
Worldwide or not makes f*** all difference. The Tories inherited a sh*t of a position and needed to take drastic action. This is naff all to do with playing politics and everything to do with the reality of the situation.

I mean they didn't *have* to take drastic action. There were many paths available to them. The one they chose was to starve public spending, which had next to nothing to do with the crash and its after affects. They used the crash as an excuse to do what they've been trying to do for years which is to shrink the size of the state and increase private provision of services as says their ideology.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

RedO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am I've liked the way the number of qualified teaching staff has consistently fallen at my children's school, seeing them replaced - sometimes - with TA's.

Who needs these university educated liberal lefties indoctrinating our young minds anyway.
Still I guess that beats the teachers being on f*cking strike all the way through my last year of school.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/chancellor ... cal-choice
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

RedO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:26 pmAnything nice?
The chicken and pesto flatbread from Pret, with a side helping of their plain crisps and ginger beer. Not bad really.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

To be fair, we are still dealing with the mess left to us by the Tory Government that finally ended in 1939. They failed to keep up this country's defences. They failed to deal with a German Despot, who could have been easily brushed aside before 1938. They stood by while Austria was swallowed up by said Despot. They were complicit in the destruction of Czechoslavakia. Made a futile, late in the day pact with Poland and then failed to take any action. The Electorate took it's revenge in 1945, but alas people seem to have short memories. You have been warned
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Thor wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 pm
RedO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am I've liked the way the number of qualified teaching staff has consistently fallen at my children's school, seeing them replaced - sometimes - with TA's.

Who needs these university educated liberal lefties indoctrinating our young minds anyway.
Still I guess that beats the teachers being on f*cking strike all the way through my last year of school.
You'd never know.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

There is a school of argument that says we should have let the banks or financial institutions go.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

There is, and it's one I tend to agree with. Although I do accept it was right for the government to intervene to prevent a systematic collapse.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Thor wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:31 pm There is a school of argument that says we should have let the banks or financial institutions go.
What! But that would have meant risking losing the invaluable expertise and brain-power of these brilliant City types. Many would have left the UK and where would we have been then? Who would have been there to organise the next banking crash if they had all gone!
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 pm
RedO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am
What year was That ?
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

PoundhillO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:58 amNothing
This
though Theresa May’s dancing gave me a laugh.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

I like the way we all now understand how the economy of our country works since Osborne explained that it was no different to managing a credit card.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

The rise of good cooking shows.
6 music
The death of Maggie thatcher.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

The 4th GE in 9 years
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

It impresses on me the way our high streets have almost disappeared. Up and down the whole country the high streets of Britain
were an institution in them selves. Look at most high streets now, nothing but charity shops, gastro pubs, low class eateries,
junk food outlets and foreign grocery shops. Where have the high streets of Britain gone?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:42 pm It impresses on me the way our high streets have almost disappeared. Up and down the whole country the high streets of Britain
were an institution in them selves. Look at most high streets now, nothing but charity shops, gastro pubs, low class eateries,
junk food outlets and foreign grocery shops. Where have the high streets of Britain gone?
Well, with a following wind, if some of the online outlets (Amazon for example) had to pay the appropriate taxes and then, as they undoubtedly would, passed this extra cost onto the consumer, then maybe our High Streets might revive a little.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:42 pm It impresses on me the way our high streets have almost disappeared. Up and down the whole country the high streets of Britain
They can't compete with the multinationals and super corporations. I have my issues with Marx (to put it mildly) but he pretty neatly explains it all within the first few chapters of Capital or you could always read Wage Labour and Capital as a bit of an introduction on the nature of Capital and its overriding tendency to consume the weak, leaving us with enormous, bloated and utterly parasitic mega corporations.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I quite like they way we've enjoyed a strong and stable government, as opposed to the chaos we were told we'd experience had Labour been in power. Phew, dodged a bullet there.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

The bedroom tax was a nice touch.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

RedO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Erm, it has everything to do with politics as the Tories politicised it. They still go on about inheriting the financial mess that "Labour created," despite it being conveniently acknowledged as a worldwide financial crisis when it suits them. I don't recall many of them objecting to Gordon Brown's intervention when the banks were hours away from failing. They were also unable to argue against Brown's economic management up until then, as he had effectively just continued where the Major government had left off (i.e. PFI etc).
Why are you bothering?
They did inherit a mess. Full stop. Beyond dispute. Why would they not say that, it’s true. The politics was whether Labour could have left us in a stronger position to withstand it etc. That’s the political bit. Personally I’m not interested in that.

Nor does Browns interventions. He did what he did and maybe what he had to do.

None of that changes the fact that the Tories inherited a mess. To dispute that fact is simply nonsense. All the other stuff is the smoke and mirrors.

That it was a worldwide crash makes recovery even harder.

Bottom line. The Tories inherited a mess and at a time when the worldwide economy was in a mess too. That is beyond sensible dispute. By all means judge their performance since then but the baseline must be remembered.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:41 pm
RedO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Why are you bothering?
They did inherit a mess. Full stop. Beyond dispute. Why would they not say that, it’s true. The politics was whether Labour could have left us in a stronger position to withstand it etc. That’s the political bit. Personally I’m not interested in that.

Nor does Browns interventions. He did what he did and maybe what he had to do.

None of that changes the fact that the Tories inherited a mess. To dispute that fact is simply nonsense. All the other stuff is the smoke and mirrors.

That it was a worldwide crash makes recovery even harder.

Bottom line. The Tories inherited a mess and at a time when the worldwide economy was in a mess too. That is beyond sensible dispute. By all means judge their performance since then but the baseline must be remembered.
So, basically, they've only fecked up for the last 10 years then. Gotcha.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

These so called food banks make me laugh. Local one near me, i see some of them turning up in their cars, laughing and smoking cigarettes as they come out with lots of bags of food. There are few people in this country that really know real hardship. Go abroad to Asian, far eastern countries, Africa etc and see a different picture. Some real hardship out there and food is so expensive compared to our prices and the wages/benefits received. That is why so many are queuing up to get into the UK. One persons austerity is to another ones........prosperity !