Tory / US NHS Sell Off

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Father Ted Crilly
Fresh Alias

Tory / US NHS Sell Off

Post by Father Ted Crilly »

Appears JC has an un-redacted copy detailing trade talks between the Tories and the US. Unsurprisingly, it would seem the NHS was / is on the table.....

Oforever
Fresh Alias

Re: Tory / US NHS Sell Off

Post by Oforever »

NHS not on the table. More boring scaremongering.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

But the secret document says it definitely is on the table.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Boris has been running around promising the NHS is not for sale.

He'll now say these are just trade agreements between the NHS and the US, they're not actually selling the NHS.

Thickies will believe it.

Can you imagine if we had a proper media who actually went after the tories on things like this, rather than the angle of Corbyn's glasses.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

To quote Laura in more detail from the BBC website
This is all going to be furiously disputed through the day, no question - we're trying to get a link to the full documents so you can have a proper look.

It's important, though, that Jeremy Corbyn doesn't provide evidence that ministers have agreed that the health service should be part of a trade deal with US.

But details of discussions about the demands of US pharmaceutical companies will still be motivating for Labour voters worried about the NHS.

"Not for sale" has been biggest mantra at Labour events, even though the Tories have always furiously denied that the NHS is in any way "up for sale".

It's clear that US drug firms want access to UK markets - Labour suggests the UK has agreed they could extend patents of some medicines which could cost NHS more, for example.

There's a big political question about whether any UK government would ever do a deal that made medicines much more expensive for the NHS, and therefore the taxpayer - this would be massively costly for the government and likely deeply unpopular.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

So if the UK ministers' "Red line" in the talks is that the Health Service should NOT be any part of a Trade Deal, and the USA "Red Line" in that it should, then that would mean there'll be no trade deal.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:55 am Boris has been running around promising the NHS is not for sale.

He'll now say these are just trade agreements between the NHS and the US, they're not actually selling the NHS.

Thickies will believe it.

Can you imagine if we had a proper media who actually went after the tories on things like this, rather than the angle of Corbyn's glasses.
Apparently those glasses are designed for people who have suffered a stroke. There was media reports some months ago that he’d had one, but denied it.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

So Corbyn's big reveal is an old 451 page document that mentions the NHS 4 times and does not say the NHS is up for sale

Nor were any of the meetings in these notes held under Boris
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

See what I mean.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:23 pmSee what I mean.
No
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

spen666 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 pm So Corbyn's big reveal is an old 451 page document that mentions the NHS 4 times and does not say the NHS is up for sale

I wonder whether the foreign secretary at the time was involved in any of the meetings.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Constantine wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:54 pm
spen666 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:13 pm So Corbyn's big reveal is an old 451 page document that mentions the NHS 4 times and does not say the NHS is up for sale

I wonder whether the foreign secretary at the time was involved in any of the meetings.
:lol:
Father Ted Crilly
Fresh Alias

The important thing is what this document doesn't say. It doesn't say the NHS or food standards aren't on the table........
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Constantine wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Why not read the documents to find out.

They are easily available, but why the Foreign Secretary would be involved in trade talks between officials not ministers is a strange one
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Father Ted Crilly wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:27 pm

The important thing is what this document doesn't say. It doesn't say the NHS or food standards aren't on the table........
It doesn’t say the EFL will not be under control of the USA. Now I’m worried. Nor does it say the BBC will not be taken over by Fox News. Bloody hell. Not does it say football won’t be played with a round ball. Catastrophic. Wonder what else it doesn’t say that we should worry about!
Father Ted Crilly
Fresh Alias

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:10 pm

It doesn’t say the EFL will not be under control of the USA. Now I’m worried. Nor does it say the BBC will not be taken over by Fox News. Bloody hell. Not does it say football won’t be played with a round ball. Catastrophic. Wonder what else it doesn’t say that we should worry about!
I would try to explain the significance of this to you but have decided to just conclude that you're a non-entity and a f*cking half-wit.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

For a supposed boardroom bellend, he is showing his naivety here.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Father Ted Crilly wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:29 pm

I would try to explain the significance of this to you but have decided to just conclude that you're a non-entity and a f*cking half-wit.
Well done. I’ve already concluded the same about board moderators. Makes us equal.
Father Ted Crilly
Fresh Alias

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:31 pm For a supposed boardroom bellend, he is showing his naivety here.
He's just angry cos they've turned down his application to go on the apprentice every year.

Maffy always becomes more insufferable between now and xmas cos Lord Sugar's on the telly. It's just bitterness as seeing real business contenders fight it out in front of his hero, Claude Littner.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

At least Andrew Neil hasn't had his interview with Johnson yet, I'm sure he'll get to the bottom of this NHS sell-off issue.
Father Ted Crilly
Fresh Alias

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Well done. I’ve already concluded the same about board moderators. Makes us equal.
Ok Boomer.
Father Ted Crilly
Fresh Alias

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:35 pm At least Andrew Neil hasn't had his interview with Johnson yet, I'm sure he'll get to the bottom of this NHS sell-off issue.
Ain't happening pal. Bojo's people won't put him on and AN aint brave enough to empty chair him.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:35 pm At least Andrew Neil hasn't had his interview with Johnson yet, I'm sure he'll get to the bottom of this NHS sell-off issue.
I’m looking forward to it. Hope he gives Boris a rough ride and brings up this NHS issue. Given my utter disrespect for both leaders I shall be quite pleased to see Boris squirm the same way Corbyn did.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Father Ted Crilly wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 pm
dOh Nut wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Ok Boomer.
No problem chips.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:40 pm
I’m looking forward to it. Hope he gives Boris a rough ride and brings up this NHS issue. Given my utter disrespect for both leaders I shall be quite pleased to see Boris squirm the same way Corbyn did.
Bottlejob Boris wont agree to one.