ling needs to stepdown asap

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

eppingo
Fresh Alias

ling needs to stepdown asap

Post by eppingo »

we won't find a new manager that will work under him simple as that, time for the board to start letting their heads rule their hearts.
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: ling needs to stepdown asap

Post by Orient Punxx »

Rubbish
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

eppingo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am we won't find a new manager that will work under him simple as that, time for the board to start letting their heads rule their hearts.
Rather expensive though, in the short time T and T have been running the Club, already two managers sacked and if it happened in this case, the D.O.F who has been given an extended contract. Also, would Sam Ling and Ross want to stay at the Os if Martin Ling is moved on ?
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

eppingo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am we won't find a new manager that will work under him simple as that, time for the board to start letting their heads rule their hearts.
Spot on !
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Derek Adams would have, had his references not been bad.

I do believe it'll happen eventually. No doubt the owners would have seen yesterday's game, and we could have had Ebou Adams either last year or even this summer but Ling messed this up and a some sort of pride meant we did not go back in for him even though we badly needed a player like that.

Remember Ebou's comment about things not being right behind the scenes. People ridiculed this at the time, but I can't say he is 100% wrong.
Just been too many poor decisions, Fletcher and the undeserved contract extensions this season. Can accept Clay and Widdowson deserved some reward, but there were question marks on how good they would be for League Two, so a 1-year deal with an option for a second would be the sensible option.

The rest of them seem based on sentiment more than anything else.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

PoundhillO wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:24 am
Spot on !
I have thought for a long time that the idea that Ross must stay as No 2 idea is something that restricts the choices when it comes to choosing a new manager. Also, after the last debacle, any new manager coming in must be able to work with what he has got in regard to the existing players, not wanting a big movement of players, both in and out as CF apparently wanted to do.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

eagwgw wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:28 am Derek Adams would have, had his references not been bad.

I do believe it'll happen eventually. No doubt the owners would have seen yesterday's game, and we could have had Ebou Adams either last year or even this summer but Ling messed this up and a some sort of pride meant we did not go back in for him even though we badly needed a player like that.

Remember Ebou's comment about things not being right behind the scenes. People ridiculed this at the time, but I can't say he is 100% wrong.
Just been too many poor decisions, Fletcher and the undeserved contract extensions this season. Can accept Clay and Widdowson deserved some reward, but there were question marks on how good they would be for League Two, so a 1-year deal with an option for a second would be the sensible option.

The rest of them seem based on sentiment more than anything else.
Too many Extended contracts handed out including to the D.O.F, yes agree '' based on sentiment more than anything else.''
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

hope I’m wrong but there seems almost a complacency over the current situation. There needs to be a thorough internal investigation and the following questions need answering
- Why have so many poor contracts been handed out by dof Ling? Eg Jobi, Coulson, Brill, Ling jr etc. Hampers us going forwards
-Is the current coaching set up fit for purpose? Do we need asst mgr, first team coach and another coach as well as a manager? Would the money not be better spent on the playing side?
-Is the dof position working for us and is Ling still the right man for it
-Why has it taken so long to address glaring weaknesses in the side, eg combative midfielders, Brill’s complete loss of form

There’s plenty more questions, these are uncomfortable questions but they need to be addressed if we are to progress.
There seems to be almost a case of burying our head in the sand and hope we make it in one piece to the end of the season, which is very dangerous thinking.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

eagwgw wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:28 am Derek Adams would have, had his references not been bad.

I cannot quite remember how we did last season without him.

Adams only interest was money, so please get over it.
Osal
Fresh Alias

Post by Osal »

Just my personal opinion, of course, but at the present time I see Martin Ling, in his current role of DofF, as the problem, rather than the solution, unfortunately the powers that be, T & T, still seem to think the sun shines out of his proverbial! Football wise, without a shadow of doubt things at this Football Club are stagnating, alarmingly. It is pretty clear to me, that Ross does not want to be the main man and in all honesty without being disrespectful to his abilities, I think he is absolutely right. With that in mind, I find it hard to comprehend, why ML and the board seem to relentlessly trying to back Ross into a position, he quite clearly doesn't want or is not ready for at this stage of his career, that for me should be the end of it and we should be aggressively pursuing getting an experience manager, who can once again take this club forward football wise. If that means he wants to bring his own assistant, then so be it, maybe, just maybe that is what the club needs at this present time. There again what do I know, I am just a supporter and season ticket holder, but even after 60+ years, I am as passionate about the O's as I have always been, sure we will have many poor seasons and a few good ones, that is the nature of supporting a club like ours. Lastly we all have our opinions regarding players and that will obviously differ from supporter to supporter, but I like most can't fathom how after Adams turned us down, we didn't bring in a combative holding midfielder with energy, to fill the role he occupied for us and to the present we still haven't, mind boggling. In my eyes, there are players, in the current squad who we are not getting the optimum out of, but it is my belief with an experienced manager, there is every chance we may.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm

We did amazingly well. But don't let that gloss over the fact that we were overrun in midfield so much we changed our formation. We could have made things a lot more comfortable for ourselves plus also future proofing our team with a player that we should have had for free and was blatantly obvious that could make the step up to League Two, One even lower Championship.

We could've even made a profit from if sold on.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Also note their #9 yesterday Matt Stevens was available over summer and at one point linked to us. Imagine yesterday we had him in the squad instead of Alabi...
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Osal wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:23 pm Just my personal opinion, of course, but at the present time I see Martin Ling, in his current role of DofF, as the problem, rather than the solution, unfortunately the powers that be, T & T, still seem to think the sun shines out of his proverbial! Football wise, without a shadow of doubt things at this Football Club are stagnating, alarmingly. It is pretty clear to me, that Ross does not want to be the main man and in all honesty without being disrespectful to his abilities, I think he is absolutely right. With that in mind, I find it hard to comprehend, why ML and the board seem to relentlessly trying to back Ross into a position, he quite clearly doesn't want or is not ready for at this stage of his career, that for me should be the end of it and we should be aggressively pursuing getting an experience manager, who can once again take this club forward football wise. If that means he wants to bring his own assistant, then so be it, maybe, just maybe that is what the club needs at this present time. There again what do I know, I am just a supporter and season ticket holder, but even after 60+ years, I am as passionate about the O's as I have always been, sure we will have many poor seasons and a few good ones, that is the nature of supporting a club like ours. Lastly we all have our opinions regarding players and that will obviously differ from supporter to supporter, but I like most can't fathom how after Adams turned us down, we didn't bring in a combative holding midfielder with energy, to fill the role he occupied for us and to the present we still haven't, mind boggling. In my eyes, there are players, in the current squad who we are not getting the optimum out of, but it is my belief with an experienced manager, there is every chance we may.
I agree with all of this ^^^
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Did you write it as an alias?
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Adams actually signed for less money at Ebbsfleet according to himself, so it was hardly money. In any case, there are probably players within the current squad who are only here because we offered more than other clubs, that's the reality of football. But to slag off one but not others seems a bit hypocritical.

I don't bear the guy any grudges, in fact, had certain other people got over the fact that he went elsewhere in that year, he could have been playing for us this season. He would have been a useful addition, that is for sure. According to David Mooney (who did not have much reason to lie) he was a nice guy.

I remember discussing the situation with someone last year, according to him because we were top of the League and Ebbsfleet were struggling, Craig Clay, Alex Lawless and Charlie Lee were the best midfielders in the division and better than Adams... it seems incredible that club loyalty can induce such thinking, but there you go.

We badly need a midfielder of his type and have done for some time. It's almost as if the bad experience of last year made Ling allergic to signing another one like him. I had hoped that Dale Gorman would have been a better replacement, but his shithouse side of the game just involves trying to do stupid tackles on people.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

I recall that at the time that Adams left the O’s for Ebbsfleet he passed some remark along the lines of “there were issues behind the scenes” that caused him to turn us down. Based on what I saw on the pitch yesterday and reading between the lines of Ross Embleton’s comments in his post match interview, I shouldn’t be surprised if he was not universally liked at the club when he was with us by his colleagues and coaching staff.
Osal
Fresh Alias

Post by Osal »

Tent Keague wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 pm Did you write it as an alias?
What is that supposed to mean, it is just a personal opinion, like all other posters on here, have an opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I am not seeking for Martin Ling to be sacked from the Football Club, just a redefining of his role.

Martin has been associated with the Club a long time and I enjoyed watching him as a player here, probably one of the best midfield players we have had in the last 25/30 years. He then did ok as a manager and achieved promotion from the bottom tier in 2006, but in all honesty he wouldn't be in my top 5 managers, in my years of supporting the O's. That brings us to the DofF role, there is no denying he done a good job in the beginning, by cobbling a squad together and obviously his part in appointing JE to the Head Coach role, as I said I just feel that role needs to be redefined, to give us a chance of moving forward football wise.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

eagwgw wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Adams actually signed for less money at Ebbsfleet according to himself, so it was hardly money. In any case, there are probably players within the current squad who are only here because we offered more than other clubs, that's the reality of football. But to slag off one but not others seems a bit hypocritical.

I don't bear the guy any grudges, in fact, had certain other people got over the fact that he went elsewhere in that year, he could have been playing for us this season. He would have been a useful addition, that is for sure. According to David Mooney (who did not have much reason to lie) he was a nice guy.

I remember discussing the situation with someone last year, according to him because we were top of the League and Ebbsfleet were struggling, Craig Clay, Alex Lawless and Charlie Lee were the best midfielders in the division and better than Adams... it seems incredible that club loyalty can induce such thinking, but there you go.

We badly need a midfielder of his type and have done for some time. It's almost as if the bad experience of last year made Ling allergic to signing another one like him. I had hoped that Dale Gorman would have been a better replacement, but his shithouse side of the game just involves trying to do stupid tackles on people.
I can only agree about our midfield.

Adams- made his choice - no grudges to bare.
Osal
Fresh Alias

Post by Osal »

By the way, if you are Kent, if you want to pay for my season ticket next season, I would be glad to accept ..... would it stop me voicing an opinion, about the O's ..... not a chance.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Osal wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:42 pm
What is that supposed to mean, it is just a personal opinion, like all other posters on here, have an opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I am not seeking for Martin Ling to be sacked from the Football Club, just a redefining of his role.

Martin has been associated with the Club a long time and I enjoyed watching him as a player here, probably one of the best midfield players we have had in the last 25/30 years. He then did ok as a manager and achieved promotion from the bottom tier in 2006, but in all honesty he wouldn't be in my top 5 managers, in my years of supporting the O's. That brings us to the DofF role, there is no denying he done a good job in the beginning, by cobbling a squad together and obviously his part in appointing JE to the Head Coach role, as I said I just feel that role needs to be redefined, to give us a chance of moving forward football wise.
Relax pardner. Wasn't aimed at you.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

Osal wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:01 pm
By the way, if you are Kent, if you want to pay for my season ticket next season, I would be glad to accept ..... would it stop me voicing an opinion, about the O's ..... not a chance.
I'll have a word with D to the M.A.C. for you.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

redintheface wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm I recall that at the time that Adams left the O’s for Ebbsfleet he passed some remark along the lines of “there were issues behind the scenes” that caused him to turn us down. Based on what I saw on the pitch yesterday and reading between the lines of Ross Embleton’s comments in his post match interview, I shouldn’t be surprised if he was not universally liked at the club when he was with us by his colleagues and coaching staff.
What he actually said was that he was joining Ebbsfleet as they where a club with ambition
Not once did he mention behind the scenes issues
Stop making stuff up jeez
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:04 pm
redintheface wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm I recall that at the time that Adams left the O’s for Ebbsfleet he passed some remark along the lines of “there were issues behind the scenes” that caused him to turn us down. Based on what I saw on the pitch yesterday and reading between the lines of Ross Embleton’s comments in his post match interview, I shouldn’t be surprised if he was not universally liked at the club when he was with us by his colleagues and coaching staff.
What he actually said was that he was joining Ebbsfleet as they where a club with ambition
Ermm, actually he did mention behind the scenes issues . Said some things weren't right .
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Orient Punxx wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:22 amRubbish
Yes, his performance can be described as such.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:04 pm
Not making it up mate I can assure you! The link is here if you care to read it. I await your apology.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend/ ... ff-184040/