Uniped Brophy

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Re: Uniped Brophy

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

To be honest I don’t really focus on our right footed players to see just how one footed they may or may not be. I do tend to notice more with the left footers. Odd.

I agree, he can get sussed out by defenders. But then again as Ling was mentioned, it’s rare for him to do much creative stuff, either foot, as 90%+ of the time whether in a good position or not his preference for the short ball is equally obvious and just as irritating as Brophy using his left.

Our players are L2 for a reason. We just to accept they have limitations.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

O my gawd wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:54 pm Some good points on this thread & some over critical points. He does have an end product, he does have great pace, he & JMD both need to be more consistent. 1 good game in 3 isn't good enough.
Yes, he does have great pace, but he doesn't have an end product. (just because he scored a rare goal on Saturday doesn't change this)
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

He does have an end product, but he needs to produce it more consistently
Fisch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fisch »

One of his end products is preventing the opposition swarming all over us. With James lurking upfield, they know he can hurt them. If we have no threat then we'll just sit deeper and deeper with the inevitable result. I do get irritated when he also comes back to defend too much leaving nobody with pace to mount a counter.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

O my gawd wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am He does have an end product, but he needs to produce it more consistently
Oh well, we will just have to disagree on this one. Brophy's whole game is about running at speed with the ball. Yes, defences do not like facing pace, but he flatters to deceive as nothing usually comes of it except for a free kick here and there. Even on his favoured left foot he scuffs and half hits many shots when in good positions on goal. I don't think it's a question of him not using this part of his game consistently enough, he just doesn't have it. Not at this moment in time,anyway.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Well yes. If he could do all of that with his electric pace, he wouldn’t be struggling to make a career at L2 level.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Well no actually, that's just the usual 'simple' answer. No one is expecting him to do all that consistently. Just a bit more than he is doing now. It's also easy to defend him at this moment in time when he has just scored a winning goal. I also very much hope that he can improve other parts of his game. No reason why I wouldn't wish that.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I really like Brophy he gets me up out of my seat when he’s in full flow, love it. He will improve have no doubt about that and he will play at a higher level, hopefully with us and finally time is on his side he’s still young.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Most successful dribbles LEAGUE TWO🤤⤵️

69 - Danny Mayor
64 - James Brophy
58 - Jack Bridge
54 - Corey O'Keefe
54 - Perry Ng
49 - Lloyd Isgrove
47 - Bez Lubala
46 - Randell Williams
45 - Ryan Colclough
45 - Courtney Senior
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

That's fair enough, but what position is he in 'the most successful dribbles that didn't come to anything?'
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Maybe 20 of those dribbles came in the game against Stevenage where he was the only player capable of taking on people.

According to Transfermarkt, he played 18 games this season, he has 1 goal and 1 assist.

Dragging out a stat doesn't change what we know already, his end product is extremely poor. There could be an argument that he was unlucky and the forwards aren't finishing off his chances. But to be fair, the story was the same last season, and the season before that. Beats men for fun, crossing inconsistent, doesn't score enough goals considering the positions he works.

Same goes for Josh Coulson really, sure he can put in a lot of tackles, if there was a stat 'number of times rinsed for pace' he'd be doing well at that as well.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Don`t disagree with that. Most of his crosses have been poor. But, he creates unbalance and is one very few players in our team who has the ability to run past defenders. Should start every game IMO.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

To be fair to him his crossing has improved. I’d like to see him shot at goal more as I believe he’s got 10-15 goals a season inside him, if the coaches could develop that we’d be on a proper winner then in more ways than one.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

Thor wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 am I believe he’s got 10-15 goals a season inside him,
In what division?

I’ve got 10-15 goals inside me if I were playing in my cousins U11s Sunday league
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

In our division. With his pace, close control, skills he could and should be scoring a shed load
OE10
Fresh Alias

Post by OE10 »

Did you see? Did you see? Brophy actually used his right foot twice today. While he has pace and skill in abundance he is far too predictable unless he starts using his right more frequently.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I counted 3 crosses with his right, arguably our best player today.