Johnson v Corbyn

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Johnson v Corbyn

Post by Thor »

I thought Corbyn debated well, not much to choose between them as the poll I posted suggests. A main issue for me was Corbyn refusing to say how he would campaign in the event he had to negotiate a new deal with the eu should he win the election. I do believe it’s important to know where he stands and what he believes in. I know what Boris wants, I know what Jo wants, I have no idea what Jeremy wants. That’s a poor show from him to hide behind whatever, it’s sneaky and snidey in my opinion.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Of course Jezza won the debate. All the polling I’m seeing indicates exactly that too.

It seems that those saying Boris won are the core 35% or so who vote Tory whatever. The figures for Jezza are including non-Labour voters, which is the crucial difference.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I didn’t see the top half of this photo, just the bottom half.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

It doesn't matter who 'won' the debate. What matters is what the few swing voters in key constituencies think. And do you think they are more likely to be represented by:

A - 1,600 45+ boomers who answer the house phone to YouGov, or;
B - 29,665 millennials on Twitter?

I reckon the YouGov poll is more relevant in that context. But Corbyn still did very well considering their polling techniques. Hence why I reckon he can feel most pleased this morning.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Thor wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 am I thought Corbyn debated well, not much to choose between them as the poll I posted suggests. A main issue for me was Corbyn refusing to say how he would campaign in the event he had to negotiate a new deal with the eu should he win the election. I do believe it’s important to know where he stands and what he believes in. I know what Boris wants, I know what Jo wants, I have no idea what Jeremy wants. That’s a poor show from him to hide behind whatever, it’s sneaky and snidey in my opinion.
I'll just post this bit again, as you may have missed it:
Obviously, the Tories would like him to make a stand NOW, one way or another, on which way he'd campaign in his own referendum, because they know that would alienate around half the country, so he's fairly sensible to refuse to make that point now. It's also not an unreasonable position from him that it would be absurd to state in advance whether or not he'd campaign for a deal that's yet to be negotiated. He may well know what his opening position in any negotiations would be, and I suppose if the negotiations ended with him getting everything he wanted at the start, then he'd back the exit deal that resulted. If, on the other hand, the negotiations ended up with a "deal" that he felt was so far short of his ideal (start position) and was so bad for the UK that he'd put it to the people - as promised - but campaign against it.
Why is his position so hard for you to understand? JO just wants to ignore half the country without even letting them have a say. So does Johnson, just it's the other half, and his plan includes tanking the economy and breaking up the Union.

Now I can't claim to know exactly how I would vote in a potential new referendum of any possible new deal that Corbyn might be able to get Vs Remain, because I haven't seen Corbyn's deal yet (and neither has he, as it hasn't been through negotiation yet). My inclination is that I'd probably vote Remain, but if his deal was good for the UK then I might support it, if I thought we'd be better off under it, and it brought the country together again.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I have every faith that Corbyns deal would be one we could all get behind.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I don't really do "faith".

But I do hope you're right. A deal to leave that could get a sizeable majority, would be way preferable to a narrow remain win, regardless of my own preference for remain.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:20 am
Thor wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 am I thought Corbyn debated well, not much to choose between them as the poll I posted suggests. A main issue for me was Corbyn refusing to say how he would campaign in the event he had to negotiate a new deal with the eu should he win the election. I do believe it’s important to know where he stands and what he believes in. I know what Boris wants, I know what Jo wants, I have no idea what Jeremy wants. That’s a poor show from him to hide behind whatever, it’s sneaky and snidey in my opinion.
I'll just post this bit again, as you may have missed it:
Obviously, the Tories would like him to make a stand NOW, one way or another, on which way he'd campaign in his own referendum, because they know that would alienate around half the country, so he's fairly sensible to refuse to make that point now. It's also not an unreasonable position from him that it would be absurd to state in advance whether or not he'd campaign for a deal that's yet to be negotiated. He may well know what his opening position in any negotiations would be, and I suppose if the negotiations ended with him getting everything he wanted at the start, then he'd back the exit deal that resulted. If, on the other hand, the negotiations ended up with a "deal" that he felt was so far short of his ideal (start position) and was so bad for the UK that he'd put it to the people - as promised - but campaign against it.
Why is his position so hard for you to understand? JO just wants to ignore half the country without even letting them have a say. So does Johnson, just it's the other half, and his plan includes tanking the economy and breaking up the Union.

Now I can't claim to know exactly how I would vote in a potential new referendum of any possible new deal that Corbyn might be able to get Vs Remain, because I haven't seen Corbyn's deal yet (and neither has he, as it hasn't been through negotiation yet). My inclination is that I'd probably vote Remain, but if his deal was good for the UK then I might support it, if I thought we'd be better off under it, and it brought the country together again.
Thanks for reposting although I did read it beforehand. However, it is important what he believes in as it will have an effect on what happens in our country should he win so it is entirely reasonable to want an answer to the question.

As I see it, hes a brexiteer and always has been. His party is majority remain as are his backers momentum, so theres a big split there already. I'm not sure he is strong enough to push through his beliefs in the face of the other factions within the party infrastructure. So again it's entirely reasonable to want an answer to his position should he win power as it will have a bearing on what people will vote.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

It doesn’t matter what he wants. He will do what the people want.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Is that the same Boris who wrote newspaper articles in favour of remain AND leave?
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am It doesn’t matter what he wants. He will do what the people want.
No he won't, that's a bare faced lie. The people have already spoken, hes just ignoring that now.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 am
Is that the same Boris who wrote newspaper articles in favour of remain AND leave?
I'm aware of what he's said in the past, he now has a deal ready to go, I know he wants to leave. What does jezza want?

If the deal is any good is another matter.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

He doesnt want Johnsons deal. He wants to negotiate his own deal and then let the public decide if they like it. Cant be much clearer than that.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 am He doesnt want Johnsons deal. He wants to negotiate his own deal and then let the public decide if they like it. Cant be much clearer than that.
That's not the point and you know it.

Emily thornberry who would be the chief in re-negoiating said on tv that she would do a new deal then woukd vote against it. You cant make this crap up. At least I know what she wants.

So what does jezza want? Will he campaign to remain or leave? Personally I think this one point damages him massively especially amongst labour leave supporters.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

How can he know how he'd vote if the deal hasnt been negotiated yet? It isnt always possible to give definitive answers, things are rarely so simple.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 am How can he know how he'd vote if the deal hasnt been negotiated yet? It isnt always possible to give definitive answers, things are rarely so simple.
Common sense !
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

:?
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

I 'liked' the way Corbyn pronounced the name Epshtein. Yes, he was a horrible JEWISH groomer/paedo/rapist!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Is that not how its pronounced?
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Labour diehards on here trying to put the cart before the horse. How on earth can you have someone negotiating brexit who doesn’t know whether he wants to remain or leave. Absolute nonsense.
You also have an imbecile saying that there is nothing wrong with supporting the murderous I.r.a
No wonder a once proud Labour Party is now so discredited, if these are the sort of supporters it attracts.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Prestige, no it’s not , and you know it.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 am Is that not how its pronounced?
If you dont listen to the news ever, then I realise you wouldnt know. There are lots of semi-famous 'stein' people and none are pronounced as 'schtein'
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

RedO wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:44 am It doesn’t matter what he wants. He will do what the people want.
Like honour the last Brexit referendum, a good place to start. That’s what the people voted for.