Two points for discussion

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Two points for discussion

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

A 'friend' said to me ( not an O's fan) he was delighted we won the league, but we should go down on bended knee and thank Fylde & Hartlepool. because if Salford had won their last two games against them, Salford would be champions with two points more than us.

I answered by saying we did what we had to do, and had we needed a win, we would have approached the game differently in order to get the win. He didnt buy that, so what do you think?

Secondly, he told me 89 points is the lowest points total thats ever won the National League. I think this was to slightly devalue our achievement. I told him I couldnt care less as we got more points than anyone else so who cares how many it was. Again what do you think?
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Re: Two points for discussion

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

Sounds like a fun guy?
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Tell him he is talking rubbish. We did not lose the last two matches Salford did. We led the table for most of the season & did it all ourselves
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Two point for discussion

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

A season is over 46 games, the fact that they lost two at the end is no more relevant than them losing 2 in November. We got more points than them over those 46 games (4 more actually so it wasn't actually close).

And yeah, who cares if it was the lowest. We got the highest points total in league one to not go up automatically so maybe its evened out.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

This 'friend' seems like someone who was jizzing over Salford earlier this season.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Burton were champions at this level with 88 points in 2008/09.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Buddy Manucci wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am This 'friend' seems like someone who was jizzing over Salford earlier this season.
The friend is my partners son
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Wally Banter wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 am Burton were champions at this level with 88 points in 2008/09.
Indeed. It's also only been a 24-team league since 2006/07, so we're not exactly talking about a long history to compare to.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:33 am A season is over 46 games, the fact that they lost two at the end is no more relevant than them losing 2 in November. We got more points than them over those 46 games (4 more actually so it wasn't actually close).

And yeah, who cares if it was the lowest. We got the highest points total in league one to not go up automatically so maybe its evened out.
Totally totally this. Also this is ignoring that Salford could have won one of their last two and we'd have still gone up. Or, if we needed a win going into the last game that we'd have set up differently against Braintree and it would have been a different game.

Using the same logic you could say that Salford should thank Maidenhead, Bromley and Halifax for keeping them in with a chance thanks to their results against us.

Salford scored an unsustainably large number of late goals that earned them points too, so could have been worse for them
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

The fact that five teams finished with over 80 points shows how competitive the National league was this year.

It'll be even more competitive next year. Off the top of my head.. Stockport, Torquay, Notts County, Yeovil, Chesterfield, Barnet, Hartlepool, Wrexham, moneybags Salford will be back again and no doubt that there will be a few surprises like Harrogate, Solihull, etc..
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

Winning with lower points just demonstrates how tough the division was this year.

If anything, it proves what an achievement it was.

Ludicrous to suggest that because the points are lower than other seasons it was somehow “easier”.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:41 am
Buddy Manucci wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am This 'friend' seems like someone who was jizzing over Salford earlier this season.
The friend is my partners son
If only you were married to her, surely that's a divorceable offence
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Salford blew it big time, proper bottle job from them losing the last two. Didn't see that coming as they'd put together a strong run-in after their January wobble (when many had written them off).

I'll be forever grateful to Fylde and Hartlepool for those results as the nerve shredding that would've accompanied needing to win on Saturday would've been unbearable.

Has to be one of the most competitive title races NL has had with 3 teams pushing right until the last day. That makes an achievement in itself to stay top for the majority of the season.

We needed a point, we got a point, we won the league. That's all that matters.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Think about that equaliser in the very first game. If that doesn't get deflected in then we would have gone into the final game on equal points.

Still would have gone up, regardless.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Who cares? We're up, the job has been done. No one will even remember our points total in 3 weeks time.

But we all know from thinking back all 4 of us top sides had major 'wobbles' over the course of the season. Possibly due to the pressure of having so many teams in contention and nerves playing a part rather than a lack of quality, I don't know. And again, don't really care.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Can always go back to individual moments but that second half away at Sutton was my favourite part of the whole season. Even more so than Saturday.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Apple Wumble wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:07 am Think about that equaliser in the very first game. If that doesn't get deflected in then we would have gone into the final game on equal points.
True, but you're now doing what ComeOnYouOs relative was doing - retrospectively adjusting results in isolation without consideration of the knock-on effect that would have had on the rest of the season and other performances and decisions.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:58 am Salford blew it big time, proper bottle job from them losing the last two. Didn't see that coming as they'd put together a strong run-in after their January wobble (when many had written them off).

I'll be forever grateful to Fylde and Hartlepool for those results as the nerve shredding that would've accompanied needing to win on Saturday would've been unbearable.
Not sure they bottled it. Even if Salford had won those games I still think we'd have gone up.

On a separate point that would have no doubt also resulted in "lucky to go up all because of goal difference" complaints from the hard of thinking.
Last edited by Smendrick Feaselberg on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

I prefer 3 points anyday
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 am A 'friend' said to me ( not an O's fan) he was delighted we won the league, but we should go down on bended knee and thank Fylde & Hartlepool. because if Salford had won their last two games against them, Salford would be champions with two points more than us.

I answered by saying we did what we had to do, and had we needed a win, we would have approached the game differently in order to get the win. He didnt buy that, so what do you think?

Secondly, he told me 89 points is the lowest points total thats ever won the National League. I think this was to slightly devalue our achievement. I told him I couldnt care less as we got more points than anyone else so who cares how many it was. Again what do you think?
Where you talking into the mirror again sir?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

You can analyse the end table any way you like and put any type of spin you want on it. Changes nothing. There is a thread on the Wrexham message board saying if only we could have beaten Orient once, facts are they were not good enough to score against us in three matches let alone beat us.

I remember players of other clubs (and lots of people on the old board) constantly pointing out that we had the toughest run in. We did and were the team that held our nerve and did exactly what we had to do and exactly what the other clubs couldn't.

Points wise couldn't give a flying as long as it's more than the other 23 teams got.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

I couldn't give a toss how many points we got. We got more than 23 other teams, and that's all that matters.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 am Secondly, he told me 89 points is the lowest points total thats ever won the National League. I think this was to slightly devalue our achievement.
As we apparently fell short in this area, then please ask you friend how many points we would have need to win the NL this year.
Thanks
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

banqo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 pm I couldn't give a toss how many points we got. We got more than 23 other teams, and that's all that matters.
👍👍👍
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Tell your partner her son's a dickhead