Your Reaction to Homeless People on the Streets

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

spen666
Regular
Regular

Your Reaction to Homeless People on the Streets

Post by spen666 »

Forget about the political arguments regarding homelessness. On a practical basis what do you do when you see homeless people/ people begging, especially in the current cold spell

do you:
a) ignore them/ walk on by
b) give them money
c) buy them a meal/ drink
d) something else

Seeing people homeless especially late at night or very early in morning who have obviously slept rough, at this time of year in freezing temperatures is a sad sight ( irrespective of the causes)

How do you react when you see homeless individuals
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Your Reaction to Homeless People on the Streets

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

I have given money recently but don't know if it was the right thing to do.I had cycled to work and it was about 4am and they were sleeping outside Waterloo on the pavement.They didn't ask it was my choice.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

I don't give them money, tend to say hello to them and treat them like a human being
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:52 am I have given money recently but don't know if it was the right thing to do.I had cycled to work and it was about 4am and they were sleeping outside Waterloo on the pavement.They didn't ask it was my choice.
At this time of year, it is my approach as well, but I share your concern also.

I reason that people sat on street late at night/ early morning etc in freezing conditions are unlikely to be professional beggars and deserve sympathy and support.

I too don't know if it is right approach
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

This is a difficult one. I' understand that it is better to give a sandwich rather than money, but in my case this isn't really practical. On my way to and from work, I go past about 7 or 8 people (who I assume are homeless). I don't think I can give each of them a sandwich. Also if I gave them all money, that would be a lot of money over a week.

I think it's a problem for my conscience. Do I, should I feel guilty if I don't give them anything. I confess I often do feel guilty.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I spent 2 nights on the street years ago after a row with the good lady , that was enough for me , i went back grovelling , i feel for the people on the streets but I'm sure in some cases it's their own choice 🤔🤔
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

If you cant afford to give them money , dont feel guilt .

If you smoke spin them a ciggy , its what i do if im not flush. They may not smoke but they can always pass it onto someone who does.

I used to stop & talk sometimes.
Not about trying to find out if they are trying to
get off the streets, just if they were ok .
Could i pass a message on or phone someone to let them know they were alive.

A couple of minutes to make some feel a little normal just by having a conversation, can give a boost to self esteem , like you wouldnt believe.
I never promised them food or money , but said if i was flush id pass by .
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

I don't criticize anyone's attitude towards the homeless ( except those scum who abuse them).

I do find it so sad to see people who are homeless, for whatever reason
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

A- because most of the ones I see are from gangs, although dont give to the addict ones either. It is recommended to give your money to a charity.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I choose to do something about it. I have signed up to help in a night shelter where homeless people are giving a bed to sleep in, hot food, clean clothes, advice help and support to try to get them off the streets and back in to society.

I have chosen to do it in Walthamstow as it’s where I grew up.

I hope to make a difference.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

I feel for the genuinely homeless people , and yes I do give them, both money, clothing and unwanted blankets ect.
I try to get in before my wife because she would leave me pennyless.
However some homeless people refuse help. Many years ago there was an old lady who was bent over and used to push a pram with her belongings (rubbish to you and me) in the west end.
I saw her in Kensington , there was snow/slush on the ground and it was sleeting. She had no shoes and she had rags tied round her feet so it looked like two loaves of bread. I couldn’t get that out of my head , it kept me awake so with my wife’s imput I bought her a pair of thick fur lined boots. I drove around The Kensington area looking for her and eventually found her. I approached her and said “here darling I’ve got you these boots, look they have got thick fir and will keep your feet warm” showing her the fir lining. She took the boot from me, smashed me round the face with it and screamed “fxxk off”.
It hasn’t deterred me from helping the genuine needy but I never give a penny to the cash point beggars.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Thor, I've done Night Shelter work in the past. It's been a real eye opener into a very real problem but with very complex solutions. The stupidity of politicians to suggest that the answer is simply to provide more housing is beyond belief. For me, a better term for the problem is 'accommodation'. Creating suitable accommodation for a 'community' that has such diverse needs and reasons to be on the streets is the real challenge - as you'll appreciate more. Soak it up, it's challenging!
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

My wife came out of a local Tesco express and there was a homeless bloke outside so she went back in and bought him a meal deal.
She hadn't even got back to her car across the road before he was in at the till looking for a refund.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Thor wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am I choose to do something about it. I have signed up to help in a night shelter where homeless people are giving a bed to sleep in, hot food, clean clothes, advice help and support to try to get them off the streets and back in to society.

I have chosen to do it in Walthamstow as it’s where I grew up.

I hope to make a difference.
Awesome. 👏

I also choose to do something about it; not voting Tory.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

My habit is to give them money. Yes, I know they may be conning me or spending on booze etc, but if I give then the opportunity that it may do some good exists and I’m willing to take that chance. By not giving that opportunity is gone.

As an aside, regarding charity donations. I’ve had a standing order now for 20+ years. I won’t give to tin collectors as only a small percentage ends up with the charity. Just increase the standing order periodically.
Last edited by F*ck The Poor & Fat on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

I give them a can of special brew.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 am My wife came out of a local Tesco express and there was a homeless bloke outside so she went back in and bought him a meal deal.
She hadn't even got back to her car across the road before he was in at the till looking for a refund.
So your wife left him the receipt as well? hmmm
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Lucky7 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:11 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:51 am My wife came out of a local Tesco express and there was a homeless bloke outside so she went back in and bought him a meal deal.
No, she didn't leave him with the receipt you tool but he was straight back in as soon as she left.
Maybe he just wanted a different sandwich?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Friend of mine works in a food bank - noticed that people were coming in for food and taking it out and selling it.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Answer (c) is what Mrs NES does if she can.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

spen666 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 am Forget about the political arguments regarding homelessness. On a practical basis what do you do when you see homeless people/ people begging, especially in the current cold spell

do you:
b) give them money
d) something else

Seeing people homeless especially late at night or very early in morning who have obviously slept rough, at this time of year in freezing temperatures is a sad sight ( irrespective of the causes)

I have given a little bit of money . I think the problem of homelessness in this country is a national disgrace . Everybody should have a home and just to add , greedy landlords are not helping the situation .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

When it gets hot I buy a pack of bottled water in the supermarket and give it to homeless people
Got a feeling one or two wish it was something stronger, but dehydration kills quicker than hunger

Also bung stuff in the local food bank collection box and always donate to Crisis at Christmas

Not keen on giving out things like fags or booze, but I have bought a local homeless bloke half ounce of Golden and some papers every now and then
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Ornchurch wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:14 pm
No, she didn't leave him with the receipt you tool but he was straight back in as soon as she left.
No receipt no swapsies or cash back you tool😋
Ornchurch
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Ornchurch »

Lucky7 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:39 pm
Ornchurch wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:14 pm

No receipt no swapsies or cash back you tool😋
Was it me or her trying to swap it? I'm just saying what the bloke did.
FFS some people on here like to create an argument out of nothing.

Personally I give nothing as most of the beggars I see pretending to be homeless are Eastern Europeans who do it as a job.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:32 pm
spen666 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 am Forget about the political arguments regarding homelessness. On a practical basis what do you do when you see homeless people/ people begging, especially in the current cold spell

do you:
b) give them money
d) something else

I have given a little bit of money . I think the problem of homelessness in this country is a national disgrace . Everybody should have a home and just to add , greedy landlords are not helping the situation .

It’s not really a national disgrace though when we have less homeless people than just about any other country. Also, I think there are something like 4300 homeless people of which the vast majority want to be there. Of course, that still means there are potentially hundreds of people in the UK who don’t want to be homeless which is tragic but homelessness is a stick the left use to beat the right with and in this country, it’s actually a very small problem. A problem nonetheless.