Bring back Russell Slade

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Constantine
Fresh Alias

Re: Bring back Russell Slade

Post by Constantine »

spen666 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:20 pm
Constantine wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:35 pm Not sure we need to go back to Slade, there are plenty of experienced managers around and I'd take someone who's had previous success at league 2 level. Paul Tisdale has been successful and I think he would be interested in the project of building Orient up over a few years.

If he wanted the job that is.
As opposed to not being interested in the project if he didn't want the job
Yeah not my finest work. Fair enough.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Beradogs wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:32 pm A Russell Slade team beat Peterborough away 3-1 to go top of league one and the best I have seen Orient play in 25 years.
We were supreme that afternoon. When I consider that performance (and watch it repeatedly on YouTube) I still shake my head in disbelief that we failed auto-promotion.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Gareth Southgate thus far is no model of aspiration as a manager. Under him England lost joint most games at the last World Cup (equal with Saudi Arabia) which makes any claim for his ‘success’ largely dubious.
Also Southgate has a good crop of young players at his disposal, a serial failing manager such as our old friend Slade would have Alabi and Harrold
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 am
Beradogs wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:32 pm A Russell Slade team beat Peterborough away 3-1 to go top of league one and the best I have seen Orient play in 25 years.
We were supreme that afternoon. When I consider that performance (and watch it repeatedly on YouTube) I still shake my head in disbelief that we failed auto-promotion.
We failed to be automatically promoted due to one man and one man only, his name was Barry Hearn.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Goalkeeping injury did not help. What happened to Japokavitch? He was great for us.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Thor wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 am
We failed to be automatically promoted due to one man and one man only, his name was Barry Hearn.
So nothing to do with Brentford and Wolves having better squads that season or Orient blowing a 2 goal lead at Wembley
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 am Goalkeeping injury did not help. What happened to Japokavitch? He was great for us.
He was recalled twice by Hull City when he was with us I think he’s at Leicester City these days
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So when Lisbie was knackered and Mooney was suffering how did Hearn Help Slade with replacements? He didn’t, they played on and on even though they needed a rest, Slade couldn’t change it up as we didn’t t have the necessary back up to rotate with.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Thor wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 am So when Lisbie was knackered and Mooney was suffering how did Hearn Help Slade with replacements? He didn’t, they played on and on even though they needed a rest, Slade couldn’t change it up as we didn’t t have the necessary back up to rotate with.
Sounds very similar to another season we had where boarders where demanding Bonne be rested and to shore up the midfield but somehow we still won the league
Talk to someone who believes your theory cos it ain’t me
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

It’s not a theory that’s what happened
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Thor wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 am It’s not a theory that’s what happened

In your head perhaps
Move on nothing to see here
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Lucky7 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:09 am
Thor wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 am

So nothing to do with Brentford and Wolves having better squads that season or Orient blowing a 2 goal lead at Wembley
If course it was Hearns fault, he missed the tackle that allowed the Rotherham 1st goal, then Hearn failed to pick up his man for the 2nd goal.

Who can forget Heath missing his penalty in the shoot out
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Or Jamie Jones standing 5 miles off his goal line :(
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

So who would have the big man back? I’d take him back as he’d work with the existing team as well, let him build the club like he did previously and who knows what would happen. He is a man manager which is what we need, the fans love him, he communicates well, and he nearly pulled it off and got us back to the championship. Remember last time he didn’t build a team in a week he did it overtime which is something I do believe the board are looking towards.

However, I do see there is a certain apathy towards him, see here http://saveedgarstreetforum.proboards.c ... loud-clear

So mr ling, what coffee does he like? If you are not sure ask Ross as he used to collect all the footballs for Slade after the warm up, he will know what he likes. You know it makes sense.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Di Canio Slade Tisdale McMahon
Thor I really think you need to sleep you seem to be tripping

Ross Embleton will be announced tomorrow 2pm
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 pm So who would have the big man back? I’d take him back as he’d work with the existing team as well, let him build the club like he did previously and who knows what would happen. He is a man manager which is what we need, the fans love him, he communicates well, and he nearly pulled it off and got us back to the championship. Remember last time he didn’t build a team in a week he did it overtime which is something I do believe the board are looking towards.

However, I do see there is a certain apathy towards him, see here http://saveedgarstreetforum.proboards.c ... loud-clear

So mr ling, what coffee does he like? If you are not sure ask Ross as he used to collect all the footballs for Slade after the warm up, he will know what he likes. You know it makes sense.
Thor
You.& the other mad lot started all this.crap way back & we
ended up with that Numpty Fletcher.

Deal with your boredom more constructively please.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 pm So who would have the big man back? I’d take him back as he’d work with the existing team as well, let him build the club like he did previously and who knows what would happen. He is a man manager which is what we need, the fans love him, he communicates well, and he nearly pulled it off and got us back to the championship. Remember last time he didn’t build a team in a week he did it overtime which is something I do believe the board are looking towards.

I would have Russell back in half a heartbeat but however I think Lucky is right and it will be Embleton.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Is that what he said. Shame as Slade would galvanise the whole club once more and be the catalyst for change with the fans giving him the space due to the respect and esteem we still hold him in. It’s a win win situation.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:45 pm Is that what he said. Shame as Slade would galvanise the whole club once more and be the catalyst for change with the fans giving him the space due to the respect and esteem we still hold him in. It’s a win win situation.
Hereford are currently 15th in the Conference North.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Lucky7 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:34 pm Di Canio Slade Tisdale McMahon
Thor I really think you need to sleep you seem to be tripping

Ross Embleton will be announced tomorrow 2pm
Your probably right mate..........................unfortunately
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Slade has unfinished business at Orient. Seems unlikely he will return, but what a glorious run it was. I looked at the Villa away match programme yesterday. What a formidable squad we had. Could have gone places if the Italian had not interfered.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

When I think of the one person that I would believe would show the compassion and knows this division inside out, Russ's name always springs to mind.

Problem is I don't think he would want to come back south again.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

If his time with us was at a different club, nobody would be wanting him here - he did OK at Cardiff but did not achieve anything of note at any of the other clubs.

Therefore, it becomes another sentimental appointment, which I thought we had enough of anyway.

Sure he galvanised the club, but the club he galvanised does not exist any more. It's a totally different one now with different staff and a different structure and ownership.

The minimum requirement should be a recent track record of success in this League so he can hit the ground running and not be dependent on others. Putting that requirement down meant we would have still have recruited Justin, but we wouldn't have gotten Davis, Fletcher or Embleton, so this seems a sensible red line to have considering the position we are in.

I do think the club somehow don't want this (as a more established manager may demand greater powers), but Justin was a real exceptional circumstance which bent the rules..... we were desperate for survival, he might have been desperate for a job at a big lower-league club close to home..... Ross will get the gig until the end of the season I feel.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Sentiment on stilts!
Demarco
Fresh Alias

Post by Demarco »

to be fair it's not a bad shout because he'd be the only one you fickle lot would give another chance....