This club really is in a state

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Bluecap
Fresh Alias

This club really is in a state

Post by Bluecap »

Can not see a manager worth his salt wanting to come here without his own number 2 and an assurance of new players.
As nice a bunch of chaps the present lot are (players and training staff) you can not run a club with a job for life attitude.
What do we want a successful football club or the `little Leyton Orient family club` safe haven for all employed.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: This club really is in a state

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I really wish we could be successful, like winning league titles and stuff like that.
Tenerife
Fresh Alias

Post by Tenerife »

We won a league title last season.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Not even nearly a state. We made a mistake, we acted and we move on.
Bluecap
Fresh Alias

Post by Bluecap »

You see as much as I loved winning the title last season I still considered us Non League then.
But there again I am a hard man to please.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Bluecap wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 am You see as much as I loved winning the title last season I still considered us Non League then.
What does that even mean?

Yes we were non-league, and we achieved the thing that means we are no longer non-league.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 am Not even nearly a state. We made a mistake, we acted and we move on.
Yes everybody move along. Nothing to see here. Just assemble over there beside the Ostrich enclosure and follow their lead.

We have absentee owners, a malfunctioning management structure, a failed recruitment process and a team low on morale not cooperating with the manager and they're not good enough for Div 2.
Bluecap
Fresh Alias

Post by Bluecap »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:23 am
Bluecap wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 am You see as much as I loved winning the title last season I still considered us Non League then.

Yes we were non-league, and we achieved the thing that means we are no longer non-league.
I was taking to Tenerife
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

Against your own will?
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Bluecap wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:05 am Can not see a manager worth his salt wanting to come here without his own number 2 and an assurance of new players.
As nice a bunch of chaps the present lot are (players and training staff) you can not run a club with a job for life attitude.
What do we want a successful football club or the `little Leyton Orient family club` safe haven for all employed.
Can you name any other industry or sector where a new manager or director joins a company on the basis that they bring their own assistants with them?
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Another boring fake news thread zzz
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

DuvB wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
Bluecap wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:05 am Can not see a manager worth his salt wanting to come here without his own number 2 and an assurance of new players.
Can you name any other industry or sector where a new manager or director joins a company on the basis that they bring their own assistants with them?
Yep. In the city. They hire traders or analysts and there team of jubs.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Bluecap wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:31 am
Red_Army wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:23 am

I was taking to Tenerife
Oh, sorry- I didn't realise that this was a private messaging service.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:27 am
Red_Army wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:21 am Not even nearly a state. We made a mistake, we acted and we move on.
Yes everybody move along. Nothing to see here. Just assemble over there beside the Ostrich enclosure and follow their lead.

We have absentee owners, a malfunctioning management structure, a failed recruitment process and a team low on morale not cooperating with the manager and they're not good enough for Div 2.
I'm not saying we ignore what went wrong. My point was that we have acknowledged it and we will hopefully learn from it as we move on.

You contradict yourself. The reason we have the management structure we have is a direct result of out ownership not being based in the country.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm not saying we ignore what went wrong. My point was that we have acknowledged it and we will hopefully learn from it as we move on.

You contradict yourself. The reason we have the management structure we have is a direct result of out ownership not being based in the country.
No its not.

We could just as easily have a CEO to look after the absentee owners interests and a proper experienced manager who gets to choose his players and coaches.

Instead we have a malfunctioning club at many levels.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Exactly . Anyway to answer the OP, I think some decent managers would join us without their own number 2 and some wouldn't . It all depends on who we're asking . Everybody knows what the club has been through so any manager worth his salt would consider that fact .
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 pm

No its not.

We could just as easily have a CEO to look after the absentee owners interests and a proper experienced manager who gets to choose his players and coaches.

We could, which I'm sure would also have its own flaws.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I have full respect for Martin . I think he's done a very good job under very difficult circumstances. He made a mistake appointing Carl Fletcher and has admitted it . That's fair enough by me , we all make mistakes so life goes on .
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Beradogs wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:03 pm
DuvB wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:39 am
Yep. In the city. They hire traders or analysts and there team of jubs.
Yup. In the Computer industry I worked in. Senior people moved only if they could bring their own people in. It's common practice.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Red_Army wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:01 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:32 pm

No its not.

We could, which I'm sure would also have its own flaws.
So you agree there was no contradiction in my previous post. That is good.

It may have it's flaws but it served us well under Hearn for years.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

There will be plenty of out of work managers who will be interested in joining a well run and forward looking club with some decent players, strong fan base and good Directors. 40 applicants last time is a bit of a clue

Sure, some may be put off by not being able to bring in their buddies, but to the extent that they stay unemployed in the hope something better comes along.

The club got it wrong, we join a long list of illustrious clubs who have done the same. Big deal. It happens everywhere and not just in football.

As for the safe haven for all employed. Did you not see yesterday’s news.

We will have absolutely NO problem recruiting a new manager, the trick is to get the right one.
Osal
Fresh Alias

Post by Osal »

My only worry is, it seems when mistakes are made, nobody appears to be culpable. In my opinion, that second half against Carlisle, to anybody who was actually in the stadium, it was pretty obvious that Carl Fletcher was the wrong appointment and alarmingly it was all downhill from there in, culminating with Sunday's absolute debacle. ML and the Owners, just have to get this next appointment spot on, or all the goodwill they appear to have built up, in many quarters, will evaporate very quickly .... that is the nature of Football, although I am not convinced all members of our board, get that.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Osal wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:29 pm My only worry is, it seems when mistakes are made, nobody appears to be culpable. In my opinion, that second half against Carlisle, to anybody who was actually in the stadium, it was pretty obvious that Carl Fletcher was the wrong appointment and alarmingly it was all downhill from there in, culminating with Sunday's absolute debacle. ML and the Owners, just have to get this next appointment spot on, or all the goodwill they appear to have built up, in many quarters, will evaporate very quickly .... that is the nature of Football, although I am not convinced all members of our board, get that.
I’m sure our board are acutely aware of the importance of getting it right. Not just in football.

But as we all know appointing a football manager is fraught with uncertainty as demonstrated by the numbers who get sacked every season. If you want guarantees you won’t get one. All they can do is try to reduce risk as far as possible. Fletcher was a massive risk. Others like Slade and Tisdale less so.

But credit to the club. They realised it wasn’t working and rather than let things fester in the hope it may come good they took prompt, decisive action even at the expense of looking a little foolish. Solid management.
Osal
Fresh Alias

Post by Osal »

Ok dOh Nut, like you I have supported Leyton Orient for 60+ years and we all have differing opinions. Although I was grateful for T&T saving the club, of course I was and I was well aware that mistakes would be made in the forward journey and you are not always going to get it right with the appointment of a Manager/Head Coach, but there surely are lessons to be learnt, as get it wrong twice out of three is quite alarming, in my opinion.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

The club is not based in America, even though at least one of its owners is an American. Therefore the club is not in a state. It is however in a Borough