Election watch

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Election watch

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

December 12th.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Election watch

Post by EliotNes »

Yawn. I will cast my vote, but I am fed up with politicians and political journalists.
Nice Username
Fresh Alias

Post by Nice Username »

Vote for a non-institutionally racist party.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

EliotNes wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:06 pm Yawn. I will cast my vote, but I am fed up with politicians and political journalists.
Know how you feel. But maybe, just maybe light at the end of the tunnel
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Nice Username wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm Vote for a non-institutionally racist party.
Back in the Labour fold mate? Good stuff.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

No hes in the Brexit party now.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Thor wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:52 pm No hes in the Brexit party now.
Good man .
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Tories out - it’s all quite simple.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Dis I do feel for you with you outdated and unwanted politics.

We need a new way, not the old way, same as the new way, but a complete overhaul of politics and policies. I’m not sure that any of them are capable of such change.

Still I trust your be voting Brexit party so we can leave the eu and have Farage as our spokesman down the dog and duck?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Thor wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:10 am Dis I do feel for you with you outdated and unwanted politics.

We need a new way, not the old way, same as the new way, but a complete overhaul of politics and policies. I’m not sure that any of them are capable of such change.

Still I trust your be voting Brexit party so we can leave the eu and have Farage as our spokesman down the dog and duck?
Capable of change? Yes. Wanting change, I doubt it.

Brexit has highlighted everything that is wrong with our system where, as I see it, politicians put their own interests ahead of the rest of us then claim to be doing it for the people. I’m disgusted with the lot of them as a body right now. Piss ups and breweries springs to mind.

But hopefully an election will sort out Brexit and we can move on. In/out I’ve stopped trying to work out what is best, just want it over before we become even more of an international laughing stock than we are now.

We are short of leaders. What we have now are the extremes. One who doesn’t seem to have any ideas on what to do and another who feels his idea is the only way forward and sod everybody else who gets in his way. Only time will correct that situation.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

But hopefully an election will sort out Brexit and we can move on

Dream on, Prez. It’s going to drag on for years and remain an open sore for both sides of our fractured society to pick at. And our silly adversarial FPTP winner-takes-all election system doesn’t help: unless it’s another hung parliament with the Libs propping up whoever picks up the most seats, the new Govt will be claiming a mandate based on probably not much more than a third of voters who bothered.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

slacker wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am But hopefully an election will sort out Brexit and we can move on

Dream on, Prez. It’s going to drag on for years and remain an open sore for both sides of our fractured society to pick at. And our silly adversarial FPTP winner-takes-all election system doesn’t help: unless it’s another hung parliament with the Libs propping up whoever picks up the most seats, the new Govt will be claiming a mandate based on probably not much more than a third of voters who bothered.
Why I said hopefully. I can’t see our FPTP system changing anytime soon and as with any system there will always be a significant part of the electorate who are not represented. Even PR don’t fix that. I’m not sure any system can. The best any system can do is represent a higher percentage of the population, who bother to vote. Those that don’t vote can’t complain.

But small steps. Getting Brexit out of the way is one. Then we can get back to the usual Punch and Judy show we all know and hate. I’m under no illusions.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

dOh Nut wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 am
slacker wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am But hopefully an election will sort out Brexit and we can move on

Why I said hopefully. I can’t see our FPTP system changing anytime soon and as with any system there will always be a significant part of the electorate who are not represented. Even PR don’t fix that. I’m not sure any system can. The best any system can do is represent a higher percentage of the population, who bother to vote. Those that don’t vote can’t complain.

But small steps. Getting Brexit out of the way is one. Then we can get back to the usual Punch and Judy show we all know and hate. I’m under no illusions.
How does PR not fix the problem of a significant part of the electorate not being represented? You know what the words proportional and representation mean, right?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

That mail front page is so bad. What dinlows still buy it in this day and age? 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

" I can’t see our FPTP system changing anytime soon"

I can, it will be the first thing that the LibDems demand of whichever party holds the most seats in a hung parliament.

Mikero
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Thor wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:10 am Dis I do feel for you with you outdated and unwanted politics.

I agree about outdated and unwanted politics, so the best thing to do is throw out the institutionally-racist Tories and bring in someone with fresh ideas like the Lib Dems. Failing that, I would rather see a different institutionally-racist party gain a majority.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

I am amazed that the Tory party think they can win Labour seats just because they voted for Brexit. A major reason they voted that way was immigration, a topic that has died down lately, but you can be certain that the Daily Mail will dredge it up again. You can see the headline " Labours immigration flood " or the like. How they think they can win Dagenham is beyond me.

Mikero
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Disoriented wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:30 am

I agree about outdated and unwanted politics, so the best thing to do is throw out the institutionally-racist Tories and bring in someone with fresh ideas like the Lib Dems. Failing that, I would rather see a different institutionally-racist party gain a majority.
Can you expand on the LibDems "fresh ideas" - asking for a friend.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

I refer you respectfully to the Liberal Democrats policy unit for a full list of their fresh ideas. In particular, Policy Paper 137 entitled ‘Save the NHS and Social Care by Stopping Brexit’ is a riveting read.

Hopefully your friend will join the yellow masses.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Disoriented wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am I refer you respectfully to the Liberal Democrats policy unit for a full list of their fresh ideas. In particular, Policy Paper 137 entitled ‘Save the NHS and Social Care by Stopping Brexit’ is a riveting read.

Not a hope in hell, they are duplicitous and will sell their grandparents to get into power.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Have they any grandparents left to sell?

Mikero
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Disoriented wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am I refer you respectfully to the Liberal Democrats policy unit for a full list of their fresh ideas. In particular, Policy Paper 137 entitled ‘Save the NHS and Social Care by Stopping Brexit’ is a riveting read.

Why would staying in the EU make the NHS any better? Staying in the EU would be the status quo, the NHS is currently in a mess. Granted that leaving may make it worse, but staying in the EU will not make it any better.

The Lib Dems are shamefully looking to increase their number of seats at the risk of a hard Brexit and a Tory majority. Better still for them, they might get back into coalition and get their ministerial cars back.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Red_Army wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:01 am

Why would staying in the EU make the NHS any better? Staying in the EU would be the status quo, the NHS is currently in a mess. Granted that leaving may make it worse, but staying in the EU will not make it any better.

The Lib Dems are shamefully looking to increase their number of seats at the risk of a hard Brexit and a Tory majority. Better still for them, they might get back into coalition and get their ministerial cars back.
I'm almost motivated to go and campaign for the SNP in Jo Swinsons constituency. How nice would it be if she lost her seat.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

RedO wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am That mail front page is so bad. What dinlows still buy it in this day and age? 😂

Trouble is Redo Steptoe will drag this country backwards into an unmitigated disaster. His policies don't and won't work, show me a country where his style policies work?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Thor wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 am
RedO wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:01 am That mail front page is so bad. What dinlows still buy it in this day and age? 😂

Trouble is Redo Steptoe will drag this country backwards into an unmitigated disaster. His policies don't and won't work, show me a country where his style policies work?
Sorry but I can't put up with this drivel any longer. Consider yourself foed.