Carl Fletcher

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Carl Fletcher

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I don’t get what his current job is. What is a loan manager?

Is that a promotion or demotion from his old job of U23 manager?
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

It's covered here:
https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/f ... er-manager

Reading some of the duties, if you wanted to be boss of a team it would be a demotion considering there is less managerial stuff involved and no tactical work.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

I wonder if he'll be a suit man or a tracksuit boss, that's clearly the pressing issue here. Somewhere in between maybe most likely.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

RedO wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:00 am I don’t get what his current job is. What is a loan manager?

Is that a promotion or demotion from his old job of U23 manager?
Can we expect some decent loan players to come in? Maybe that’s his Ace. Familiarity with the loan system and good contacts. Maybe he will send Alabi out on loan too.

Perhaps even some decent loaners from Bournemouth

Perhaps the strategic direction for us is a smaller squad with loanees added as and when needed with him perfectly placed to manage that.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

eagwgw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 am It's covered here:
https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/f ... er-manager

Reading some of the duties, if you wanted to be boss of a team it would be a demotion considering there is less managerial stuff involved and no tactical work.
This is new one on me, never heard of anything like it! I guess it just shows how different the set ups are at the big clubs these days.

I can see that it’s effectively a promotion. He’s gone from looking after all the U23 players to just focusing on those that are most likely to make it and helping them get into the first team squad.

But i agree that it’s less of a fit with the job here than his previous role. It’s a real strange one if it turns out is him.

But good luck and all that, obviously.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Would have thought that most managers are competent at loaning players.

Been an advocate of the loans system for a while, aside from lucking out on transfers, one of the only ways to get some players too good for us.

But if this was the priority, Wayne Burnett might be a better choice? Previous history at our club, more experienced manager at this level but also Spurs U23 manager so probably has a better range of contacts in the vicinity.

It would be better to concentrate on the London loan market for players, as they may not have to move to play for us and some may favour us over a higher club in the league further away. For Bournemouth players going to Exeter or Swindon is easier than coming here.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

eagwgw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:46 am Would have thought that most managers are competent at loaning players.

Been an advocate of the loans system for a while, aside from lucking out on transfers, one of the only ways to get some players too good for us.

But if this was the priority, Wayne Burnett might be a better choice? Previous history at our club, more experienced manager at this level but also Spurs U23 manager so probably has a better range of contacts in the vicinity.

It would be better to concentrate on the London loan market for players, as they may not have to move to play for us and some may favour us over a higher club in the league further away. For Bournemouth players going to Exeter or Swindon is easier than coming here.
Assuming Wayne Burnett was interested, but I take your point. Maybe Fletcher just moves in different circles to regular managers. Got to admit I never knew the position of loan manager existed. I guess that comes from living in the lower leagues.

But either way, I do hope it signals the start of getting in some decent loan players. It would be handy to pick up a striker right now.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

But Ling handles recruitment.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am But Ling handles recruitment.
Of course he does but that doesn’t prevent the Head Coach from providing input, in fact that’s quite healthy, nor would it preclude Fletcher making calls with Lings permission.

I doubt very much that Orient operate a Silo Management structure and I suspect how we operate as a club was taken into consideration when recruiting. If you read the Nigel Travis book, he talks endlessly about pushback, which is in essence allowing your team to manage, not just leaving it to the boss to decide everything.

So if Fletcher has a good circle of contacts the club will encourage him to use them.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

If it's Fletcher and that looks likely he will get my full support as all previous managers have 👍👍
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

He won't have got the job because he handles the role of 'arranging loans'. It's not exactly a complicated matter, is it?

As with others, I've only just heard about this as a role. But it's pretty obvious it's about the development of their most talented youngsters, assessing their development needs, and getting them ready for the first team. It's not about the admin of arranging loans that some seem to be suggesting it is.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

I’m not at all positive about it but I’m hoping he does well. I’ll give it 10 or so games before making my opinion on it. He deserves time and support.

If he plays a 433, drops Ling and plays Brophy on the left wing, then he’ll give himself the best base to start from.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

RedO wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:58 am He won't have got the job because he handles the role of 'arranging loans'. It's not exactly a complicated matter, is it?

As with others, I've only just heard about this as a role. But it's pretty obvious it's about the development of their most talented youngsters, assessing their development needs, and getting them ready for the first team. It's not about the admin of arranging loans that some seem to be suggesting it is.
Not about loans but when making the decision it is a useful extra. Maybe. Maybe not even a consideration. Who knows. It’s all guesswork.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:56 am
eagwgw wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:46 am Would have thought that most managers are competent at loaning players.

Assuming Wayne Burnett was interested, but I take your point. Maybe Fletcher just moves in different circles to regular managers. Got to admit I never knew the position of loan manager existed. I guess that comes from living in the lower leagues.

But either way, I do hope it signals the start of getting in some decent loan players. It would be handy to pick up a striker right now.
If Carl Fletcher is to be a success at Orient and prove people like me wrong then bringing in good quality loans has to be one of his strengths . It's a result based business and if Carl Fletcher can get them then he will be seen as an inspired choice by the club. Obviously If he gets the gig I'll back him 100%
TrickorTreat
Fresh Alias

Post by TrickorTreat »

Being a manager no matter which club you run is a sink or swim scenario these days. If we start winning games it will be an inspired choice, if we drop down lower then its the old tin tack. If he (assuming its a he) keeps us mid table then he will be given time.

If its Carl Fletcher then I wish him well and hope he brings some young talent on loan and also develops and gives our decent youth players a chance (such as Ogie). I hope he is as strong a personality as Justin undoubtedly was, and as successful.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

TrickorTreat wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:34 am Being a manager no matter which club you run is a sink or swim scenario these days. If we start winning games it will be an inspired choice, if we drop down lower then its the old tin tack. If he (assuming its a he) keeps us mid table then he will be given time.

If its Carl Fletcher then I wish him well and hope he brings some young talent on loan and also develops and gives our decent youth players a chance (such as Ogie). I hope he is as strong a personality as Justin undoubtedly was, and as successful.
If he can get us to a mid table finish I would be happy enough with that . As I've said before , I first just want the club to consolidate itself back in the EFL and anything higher than that would be a bonus . Consolidate this season and try and push on next.
FargO
Fresh Alias

Post by FargO »

RedO wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:58 am He won't have got the job because he handles the role of 'arranging loans'. It's not exactly a complicated matter, is it?

Well, if he is the loan arranger, then I'm all for it - high ho silver away!
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

BIGRON wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:47 am If it's Fletcher and that looks likely he will get my full support as all previous managers have 👍👍
Me too but as always I reserve my right to boo at half time in his first home game if it isn't going well.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Story of O wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 am Teague has tweeted that fans would be surprised at the appointment. Now that can mean anything, surprised because it is someone we have not heard much of, or a big name we never thought we would get.
I think Kent has been listening to Surprised by the Joy as sung by Richard Ashcroft who is an absolute legend in my opinion. If Kent is rocking his music then who am I to complain?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 am

If Carl Fletcher is to be a success at Orient and prove people like me wrong then bringing in good quality loans has to be one of his strengths . It's a result based business and if Carl Fletcher can get them then he will be seen as an inspired choice by the club. Obviously If he gets the gig I'll back him 100%
Strewth. His current job title has no bearing on this. None whatsoever.
Tent Keague
Fresh Alias

Post by Tent Keague »

I think Kent totally misjudged the wow factor on this. Quite understandably.

He probably thinks of Bournemouth as a great Premiership Club that we should be in awe of that we've taken a coach from (and paid a fee for?!?!).

The reality is that we probably all remember Bournemouth as being totally sh*t and flapping around the lower leagues like ourselves.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 am

I think you’ve said what I meant but in a better way. He would not have got the job solely based on his knowledge of the loan market but when several candidates offer similar strengths then his knowledge of this area could well be a differential.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

I'm choosing to look at the positives here, but like others I thought all this team needed was an experienced manager to lead them.

However, we're not going down, and this appointment will very much look to the long-term which is what we should be doing. He has obviously done something to impress in interview and it could be a case that he has a great knowledge of the squad.

Will be interesting to see how much influence Embleton will have in his decision-making, particularly over things like personnel (Ling vs Judd). Hope also he has a bit of a philosophy and likes to play attacking football with the opposition worrying about us rather than vice versa.

Obviously a big gamble but one that could pay off.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Hiring an experienced manager can equally be seen as planning for the long term. But I agree, he must have interviewed very well and perhaps his ideas were fresh and inspiring to Ling, Travis and Teague. Young, energetic and not jaded by years of league management with set in the ways ideas. Hope so.

More than anything I hope he is his own man when selecting the team and playing formation. For sure listen to his senior team but be strong enough to take the decisions.

I also hope there is some budget left for January changes should he feel it necessary. Interesting times.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Hear what you say Rickety, but there are many things in football that could just 'pay off', even without the necessary skills. I of course hope he's a success, but with untried and inexperienced managers a lot of it is pot luck.