Why are we insisting on the

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Why are we insisting on the

Post by Beradogs »

Backroom team staying as a prerequisite and even that Ling stays? This guy we are interviewing has had one job in 6 years as a manager and was rubbish assuming managing is a results business. One can only assume most credible candidates want to bring in their own people. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can answer whether it is normal for a club to insist on current staff staying or do most clubs who get a new manager allow them to have Carte blanche over hires?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Re: Why are we insisting on the

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Just posted much the same thing on another thread
I agree it isnt usual
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

We have a successful structure. Should we tear it up just because Justin died? Existing setup didn't stop Justin from joining. I'm sure experienced managers applied this time around but maybe there is something in this guy that the board have seen?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm We have a successful structure. Should we tear it up just because Justin died? Existing setup didn't stop Justin from joining. I'm sure experienced managers applied this time around but maybe there is something in this guy that the board have seen?
The message board? 🤔
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm We have a successful structure. Should we tear it up just because Justin died? Existing setup didn't stop Justin from joining. I'm sure experienced managers applied this time around but maybe there is something in this guy that the board have seen?
You’re right of course it didn’t stop JE joining but was it a precondition that RE and Webb stayed in place when he took over? ( rhetorical question).
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

redintheface wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:32 pm
You’re right of course it didn’t stop JE joining but was it a precondition that RE and Webb stayed in place when he took over? ( rhetorical question).
Good point. You cannot tell me that Fletcher was the best of the 40 candidates who was happy to accept this.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

A successful structure in terms of we got out of non league. I don’t see much success elsewhere. We used to be known as a solid championship level club and for however many years since we just make up the numbers. I am running out of years to see us achieve something so forgive me for getting a tad fed up. This is not a knock on the owners in terms of without them we would not have a club but personally I would rather we ditch the nice guy bit and start winning things. The family club shtick is wearing a bit thin from my end but completely understand those with the viewpoint that it’s just a place to meet mates, have a beer etc and everything else is a bonus.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 pm A successful structure in terms of we got out of non league. I don’t see much success elsewhere. We used to be known as a solid championship level club and for however many years since we just make up the numbers. I am running out of years to see us achieve something so forgive me for getting a tad fed up. This is not a knock on the owners in terms of without them we would not have a club but personally I would rather we ditch the nice guy bit and start winning things. The family club shtick is wearing a bit thin from my end but completely understand those with the viewpoint that it’s just a place to meet mates, have a beer etc and everything else is a bonus.
This sounds like a pitch for the mod job.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

😀
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm
Good point. You cannot tell me that Fletcher was the best of the 40 candidates who was happy to accept this.
Obviously you can say that .
Maybe 1 or 2 others were not aware of that .

But if they are not managers winning with a 60 % win ratio , what right do they have to demand something different .

The days of managers running a club have been gone since the 80s .
Most managers would give a mate a job , which is something ling seems to be accused of constantly by sime
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:51 pm

But if they are not managers winning with a 60 % win ratio , what right do they have to demand something different .

Most managers would give a mate a job , which is something ling seems to be accused of constantly by sime
Are YOU accusing him of it?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Leyton Orient is more than Justin Edinburgh and last season. If it’s all about structure and maintaining the status quo, why doesn’t Ling appoint himself as manager and leave the coaching to the coaching setup.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:10 pm Backroom team staying as a prerequisite and even that Ling stays? This guy we are interviewing has had one job in 6 years as a manager and was rubbish assuming managing is a results business. One can only assume most credible candidates want to bring in their own people. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can answer whether it is normal for a club to insist on current staff staying or do most clubs who get a new manager allow them to have Carte blanche over hires?
It’s not necessarily ‘normal’ but the club have announced from day one this is the model we will be using. Given we’ve gone from literally no football club to this team achieving a promotion 18 months later, it’s difficult to argue against it.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

RedO wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 pm
Beradogs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:10 pm Backroom team staying as a prerequisite and even that Ling stays? This guy we are interviewing has had one job in 6 years as a manager and was rubbish assuming managing is a results business. One can only assume most credible candidates want to bring in their own people. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can answer whether it is normal for a club to insist on current staff staying or do most clubs who get a new manager allow them to have Carte blanche over hires?
It’s not necessarily ‘normal’ but the club have announced from day one this is the model we will be using. Given we’ve gone from literally no football club to this team achieving a promotion 18 months later, it’s difficult to argue against it.
TBF it’s pretty easy actually.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:53 pm

Of vourse not

Im happy ling picks ling ahead of judd week in week out

I dont accuse him of anything
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

How many promotions in 2 years would be considered successful to you, if 1 isn’t good enough?

2?

3?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Of vourse not

Great to hear fella.

I am unhappy that Ling picks Ling ahead of Judd week in week out. Nepotism has no place in our game.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Of vourse not

Great to hear fella.

I am unhappy that Ling picks Ling ahead of Judd week in week out. Nepotism has no place in our game.
Nepotism has nothing to do with it

Ling jnr is a better foitballer than juddy
Like it or not its the troof !
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Of vourse not

Great to hear fella.

It’s all opinions fella. That’s what makes the game so interesting. 👍
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

No it wasn't, Webb was still u18s coach & JE promoted him to assist with 1st team.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Disoriented wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Great to hear fella.

The opinion of the board & important people at the club have the opinion that
We have a set up that is good & just needs a head coach to the steer the ship.

No need for people to bring in their own team .
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

tuffers#1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Disoriented wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 pm

The opinion of the board & important people at the club have the opinion that
We have a set up that is good & just needs a head coach to the steer the ship.

No need for people to bring in their own team .
Aye. I bet the White Star Line said the same when they employed Captain John Smith too.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

You mean Captain Edward Smith ?

Man who captained r.m.s majestic 1899 & held the blue riband for a short time, then captained most of the new big ships for there maiden voyages
Including Baltic, Adriatic , Olympic .

Wasnt he know as the Millionaires Captain too .

Still he was captain of a ship that sank so only he was to blame ?

Nothing to do with white star letting a fire burn for a week & thinking they could get away with it .

Not that they wanted to mind you.

Nothing like an insurance scam
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Beradogs wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 pm This is not a knock on the owners in terms of without them we would not have a club but personally I would rather we ditch the nice guy bit and start winning things. The family club shtick is wearing a bit thin from my end but completely understand those with the viewpoint that it’s just a place to meet mates, have a beer etc and everything else is a bonus.
This ^^^

When Kent asked how important the "family club" is to Twitter my response was pretty blunt... I value a successful club more.

We were just beginning to shake that "nice but toothless" image under JE and had a bit of edge, a ruthless winning streak that was a joy to watch as it was so un-Orient like to be winners. Not sure if we'll ever quite get that back again now :(
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:54 pm
Leyton Orient is more than Justin Edinburgh and last season. If it’s all about structure and maintaining the status quo, why doesn’t Ling appoint himself as manager and leave the coaching to the coaching setup.
Correct.
Who has final say on signings?
If it’s Ling them make him manager.