Ross’ comments on Ogie

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Ross’ comments on Ogie

Post by BiggsyMalone »

After watching Ross’ interview after the game yesterday, it’s shocking how he threw Ogie under the bus so publicly. What’s worse is Sam Ling makes the same mistakes as Ross said Ogie made, every week, multiple times a game. He doesn’t get criticised at all

Disgraceful.
Stowaway
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Ross’ comments on Ogie

Post by Stowaway »

It’s almost like Sam Ling is untouchable.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Could Sam be related to Martin by any chance 🤔🤔
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

It’s funny how I have been castigated on here for expressing the same opinion on our erstwhile DOF for years but now it seems the penny has dropped for others.

Face facts -the situation involving Sam and Martin is farcical and for the players, must be uncomfortable and unsettling.

One of them has to go.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Ross is good friends with Martin and probably feels he owes him a lot. It’s a difficult position for him. I would be surprised if he criticised Sam very much and is likely to use every reasonable opportunity to praise him.

Sam gets preferential treatment it seem to me. MOTM awards, one because he played with a bit of an injury, fanfare for signing an extension and not dropped after poor games.

Difficult situation.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:11 am Ross is good friends with Martin and probably feels he owes him a lot. It’s a difficult position for him. I would be surprised if he criticised Sam very much and is likely to use every reasonable opportunity to praise him.

Sam gets preferential treatment it seem to me. MOTM awards, one because he played with a bit of an injury, fanfare for signing an extension and not dropped after poor games.

Difficult situation.
That is why one Ling (at least) has to go. It is bad enough this 4 month procrastination over the manager’s position.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

🚨🚨🚨🚨AGENDA ALERT🚨🚨🚨🚨
Why do people always have to turn it around to the Lings?
The post is about Ogie. Rightly or wrongly Ross assessed the situation & told it as he saw it. Looks like he will be some player but isn't just ready yet.
Oooh!
Fresh Alias

Post by Oooh! »

I don’t think Edinburgh or now Embleton had/have much confidence in Judd. I can see from a manager’s point of view Ling is much the more reliable option. Judd’s always seemed a bit brainless to me, and he’s done nothing to impress when he has had a chance recently. So until there’s a better right back at the club I just don’t think the Ling-bashers have a point. And it’s extremely boring.
Oforever
Fresh Alias

Post by Oforever »

Ling doesn't make the same mistakes every week. Fact. Some here have an agenda with Ling. Fact.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

No doubt Ling would come under less criticism, and there would be less accusations of nepotism, were he not just so passive as a defender.
Barely puts a tackle in, in the style of Stephen Purches, which is not a good thing.

Judd isn't perfect, and is even reckless at times, but at least he understands the job of a defender is to Defend - Ling just tends to shadow his man and that's it. It's not sufficient.

Nice that the club seem to have faith in him, and there has been an improvement this season, but even by L2 standards he strikes me as utterly replaceable.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Hold on this is the man that critisicised an ex o and former pro for daring to offer an opinion on ling. Now he has slaughtered a young pro, you can’t have it both ways Ross.

You either back and support your players, especially the young ones and talk to them in private about their performance or you allow everyone to say what they want. I’m telling you now the dressing room would prefer the first one.

It’s interesting that they went against the pre game plan for a penalty taker, that just shouldn’t happen and shows the players are losing trust in Ross I’m afraid. Any dressing room I’ve been involved in where that happened the tea would be flying and the paint peeling off the wall, you have a job to do and you do it or you’re for it afterwards.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

1) Embleton shouldn't have called out Ogie - that was ridiculous and another example of why he isn't cut-out to manage

2) Ling hasn't made similar errors under Embleton (for example giving away a penalty). Either way, just because Embleton's frustration boiled over with Ogie we don't want him to routinely put down our players in public irrespective of who they are

3) Embleton also hasn't called out players like Wright, Ekpiteta or Clay but for some reason people are turning his comments about Ogie into an attack on Ling, which is clearly their confirmation bias talking
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

I still don't think it was a penalty.

Was there much difference with that between Ogie and what happened for the winner with Crewe? Both times the winger made a run on the full-back, and at least in Ogies case he got back quickly enough to supposedly foul the man. On another day it wouldn't have been given.

I don't agree with calling him out with it publicly. We have the worst defensive record in the League, I don't think anyone has been singled out so far. Ogie should have some credit in the bank because of his performance v Southend.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 pm After watching Ross’ interview after the game yesterday, it’s shocking how he threw Ogie under the bus so publicly. What’s worse is Sam Ling makes the same mistakes as Ross said Ogie made, every week, multiple times a game. He doesn’t get criticised at all

Disgraceful.
Couldn’t agree more, yet another reason why Ross Embleton should never have been allowed to be Interim (caretaker)Manager.
It absolutely stinks of his friendship with Ling Snr !
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

Disoriented wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:50 amour erstwhile DOF
No, he's definitely still Director of Football.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

eagwgw wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:36 am
I don't agree with calling him out with it publicly. We have the worst defensive record in the League, I don't think anyone has been singled out so far. Ogie should have some credit in the bank because of his performance v Southend.
We don't have the worst defensive record in the league. Admittedly it's not far off, but that honour goes to Morecambe.
Putting it into another context was Talksport's Natalie Sawyer wrong for calling Chris Wilder a dinosaur when he openly criticised his young goalkeeper ?
Personally I thought she was out of order considering Wilder's record as a manager & he went 'a bit old school' in letting his keeper know how frustrated he was.
Could it be that RE meant to have the same effect on Ogie, knowing he is better than that ?
He hasn't come out & called him crap or saying he can't defend to save his life, he just explained how he was caught out.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

As others have pointed out, it’s the double standards.

Someone says Ling is poor on a radio show, Embleton leaps to his defence in interviews saying you can’t talk about players like that.

A young kid not called Ling makes a mistake, Embleton names and shames him in public.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Haven't heard or read Ross' comments but if he has dug Ogie out then quite frankly Ross can feck off now. How many goals have Widdowson and Ekpiteta cost us this season? How many goals has Widdowson cost us since he's been here? Quite a few. Yes, people are getting a bit carried away with the Ling stuff but I understand why. Its not so much that Ling is uniformly terrible but at best he is completely average and for the most part he's not even that. Ross has been falling over himself to lavish praise on Sam and that's what sticks in peoples throats. We can all see that Sam Ling is not one of our better players. We can all see that his performances do not warrant the praise of status that he is afforded. Ogie has a ton more potential and is, lets not forget, a kid.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

I think there are some valid points being made on here.

1. It’s got nothing to do with Ling bashing. I’m supportive of our DoF and want Sam to become a great player.

2. Comments about Sam being passive are spot on. Drives me nuts. Judd is quite the reverse. Give me a player showing passion and trying every day. A player who has never been given a shot, just bit parts, and gets criticised because he ain’t up to speed.

3. If Ross calls out Ogie, then Ling too should get the same treatment. Plenty of issues with his game too. But Ling get star treatment and a fanfare when signing a contract extension. Odd.

4. Gets picked because he is the best. How do we know, Judd has never been given equal opportunities.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

He said: “I thought it was poor from Shad [Shadrach Ogie] in the build-up in terms of him not quite getting it right with whether he pressed or whether he stayed in and he lost his man. He just started the game slowly in my opinion, which you can argue is a trait of a young player, but you want him to be switched on and that’s why you throw him into environments like this tonight, and unfortunately for him it’s a harsh learning experience for him.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

dOh Nut wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am I think there are some valid points being made on here.

1. It’s got nothing to do with Ling bashing. I’m supportive of our DoF and want Sam to become a great player.

2. Comments about Sam being passive are spot on. Drives me nuts. Judd is quite the reverse. Give me a player showing passion and trying every day. A player who has never been given a shot, just bit parts, and gets criticised because he ain’t up to speed.

3. If Ross calls out Ogie, then Ling too should get the same treatment. Plenty of issues with his game too. But Ling get star treatment and a fanfare when signing a contract extension. Odd.

4. Gets picked because he is the best. How do we know, Judd has never been given equal opportunities.

So Judd 'has never been 'given a shot' despite playing 50+ times for us? :lol:
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 am He said: “I thought it was poor from Shad [Shadrach Ogie] in the build-up in terms of him not quite getting it right with whether he pressed or whether he stayed in and he lost his man. He just started the game slowly in my opinion, which you can argue is a trait of a young player, but you want him to be switched on and that’s why you throw him into environments like this tonight, and unfortunately for him it’s a harsh learning experience for him.
Hardly throwing him under the bus is it?
He's not the only player to have started a game slowly. It's long been a trait over past couple of seasons.
Last edited by O my gawd on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Oooh! wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:23 am I don’t think Edinburgh or now Embleton had/have much confidence in Judd. I can see from a manager’s point of view Ling is much the more reliable option. Judd’s always seemed a bit brainless to me, and he’s done nothing to impress when he has had a chance recently. So until there’s a better right back at the club I just don’t think the Ling-bashers have a point. And it’s extremely boring.
Nail on the head this post.
Put perfectly into context about our right back position!
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

RE interview post Wimbledon defeat.