Are Bolton going to go bust?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Are Bolton going to go bust?

Post by Adz »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48067603

Sounds like they're in serious trouble
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: Are Bolton going to go bust?

Post by tuffers#1 »

Always liked Bolton , just for there nicknames
Very sad
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

I think they are already. Just a matter of if they get rescued.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Someone is buying them, Lawrence Bassini, who used to own Watford I believe. They were only skint a few years ago wiped all their debts off and run them up again, the sad thing is the EFL allowed it to happen.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Thor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:01 am Someone is buying them, Lawrence Bassini, who used to own Watford I believe. They were only skint a few years ago wiped all their debts off and run them up again, the sad thing is the EFL allowed it to happen.
The EFL can't stop owners running the companies they own.

It's not the EFL to blame that Bolton are financially knackered any more than it is the EFLs fault that Carillon went bust.

There is virtually nothing the EFL can do about how a club is run other than to expel a club from its competitions. If they did that it wouldn't help Bolton
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

They will resurrect as most teams do in such situations someone with no previous connection to the club but who wants the kudos of being the owner of a footy club will buy them but what League they will then start in or points deduction they will have next season remains to be seen.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

spen666 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 am
Thor wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:01 am Someone is buying them, Lawrence Bassini, who used to own Watford I believe. They were only skint a few years ago wiped all their debts off and run them up again, the sad thing is the EFL allowed it to happen.

It's not the EFL to blame that Bolton are financially knackered any more than it is the EFLs fault that Carillon went bust.

There is virtually nothing the EFL can do about how a club is run other than to expel a club from its competitions. If they did that it wouldn't help Bolton
Once again, Spen comes in with his boring input which nobody asked for.

Notice how you’ve been utterly silent on all the other threads regarding the excitement and potential achievement of the Os today.

Instead you only crawl from under your stone to argue with someone on a thread about Bolton Wanderers.

Really strange individual.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Surely rules need to be brought in and or tightened to stop this from happening? A football club is more than just that, it is at the heart of the community and something that is important to people, towns, local businesses and employment.

I saw that the proposed new owner is a previous bankrupt as well, that’s not to say he’s going to go that way again, but.....

I hope things get resolved cos I knew how I felt when we could have lost our club.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Worth keeping an eye on what’s hitting the fan(s) at Bury too. The chairman’s statements there are of (almost) Angelieri proportions of fruitloopness.

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/apri ... -chairman/
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Esteban wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 am

Notice how you’ve been utterly silent on all the other threads regarding the excitement and potential achievement of the Os today.

Instead you only crawl from under your stone to argue with someone on a thread about Bolton Wanderers.

You have some strange ideas...I don't need your permission to post anything

If you have a problem with the facts, then that is your problem not mine.

Oh and I wasn't aware it was compulsory to post on every thread. It might just be that I am nature enough not to set my knickers at the prospect of playing in a different division next season. Neither promotion or relegation will change my life
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

The EFL have just released a statement saying that the game will be played and that they must complete the remaining two games as well. The league would have forced them to play the youth team however, they played on Thursday and under duty of cares rules are not allowed to play again today.

Looks like if the senior players are not paid and continue to withdraw their Labour looks like the youth team will be playing instead.
Esteban
Fresh Alias

Post by Esteban »

spen666 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:12 am
Esteban wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 am

You have some strange ideas...I don't need your permission to post anything

If you have a problem with the facts, then that is your problem not mine.

Oh and I wasn't aware it was compulsory to post on every thread. It might just be that I am nature enough not to set my knickers at the prospect of playing in a different division next season. Neither promotion or relegation will change my life
Yes, because getting excited about your team winning a league is not “mature”.

However, being a contrarian bore on a message board is extremely “mature”.

You really are a mug.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

How on earth can this guy pass the fit and responsible person test

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Bassini
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Adz : reading that Wikipedia link is chilling. How can he be allowed to purchase any company.
And I do remember “Safegate”: I thought it farcical at the time but our own history since ...
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Surely the FA will not let him take over Bolton with a CV like that.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

This is the point at which the EFL fail every time. They could keep these people out of football by tightening up their test and then actually applying it. They allowed Owen Oyston to go ahead and run Blackpool into the ground even after the Premier League had banned him for life from being a director of one of their clubs.

Spen is right that nothing can be done once the financial problems start unless league rules are broken and even then they are not likely to enforce them, what is the point of trying to fine a club with no money? I know that many MPs would like to see the EFL replaced by a licencing authority but they have got other things on their minds at present. The EFL will be invited to a hearing of the Media and Sport commitee sometime this year which should be a good watch as several clubs problems, including our own, have been passed to the commitee.

Mikero
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Surprised how well Bury have done to get promoted. They get tiny crowds 2000 ish but pay big wages
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

The FA have no say in the matter, they set the laws of the game, oversee non-league football and run the Womens pyramid. The EFL and the Premier League have their own separate rules. This fragmentations is why a licencing authority is being looked at.

Mikero
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Again the EFL failing teams and their fans. The PFA is apparently, pretty useless in these situations as well.

Getting the youth team to play could not only harm their development and confidence but also they may not be ready physically and mentally to play championship football.

Their last two games are inconsequential to the table. Give Forrest and Brentford a 3-0 win and focus on sorting their club out before next season.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:24 am
Their last two games are inconsequential to the table. Give Forrest and Brentford a 3-0 win and focus on sorting their club out before next season.
Both games HAVE to be played. It is fortunate that none of those three are involved in play offs.

“..EFL Regulations do provide for any League match to be played within four days of the end of the normal playing season (Sunday 5 May 2019)."

Not sure if it is to do with prize money, but Brentford could move from 15th to 9th with the aid of a 3-0 walkover which could upset half a dozen clubs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 92741.html
A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Post by A Pedant »

RientO wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:17 pm Not sure if it is to do with prize money, but Brentford could move from 15th to 9th with the aid of a 3-0 walkover which could upset half a dozen clubs.
There is no position-based prize money in the EFL.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

A Pedant wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:31 pm There is no position-based prize money in the EFL.
OK. Reading between the lines with no staff getting paid, doubts over the safety certificate and the players obtaining a loan from the PFA, I suspect they will play the final game at Bolton behind closed doors.

“The EFL Board will determine on Thursday 2 May as to what arrangements are to be put in place in regards to last week’s suspended fixture with Brentford and details will be confirmed in due course.”
Orient Punxx
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Orient Punxx »

slacker wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:34 am Worth keeping an eye on what’s hitting the fan(s) at Bury too. The chairman’s statements there are of (almost) Angelieri proportions of fruitloopness.

https://www.buryfc.co.uk/news/2019/apri ... -chairman/
IMO nothing wrong with the message there.

Who the hell would wish to be an owner/chairman of a club these days!!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

I found it a hard read. The realities of owning a football club, the costs and the need to maintain a solid financial foundation.
Lofctillwedie
Fresh Alias

Post by Lofctillwedie »

Are Gateshead going to go bust? Plans made to make a breakaway club after there owner joe Cala sacked all players by email and staff