We Are Going to Need a Bigger Ground

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

A Pedant
Fresh Alias

Re: We Are Going to Need a Bigger Ground

Post by A Pedant »

bobo66 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:13 am I'd like to know what the real capacity is. I understood that it was circa 9,000. Even at its fullest in never gets anywhere near that.
Does anyone know what it really is?
Circa 9,000. The official capacity figures on the club's website have reduced a little at some point in recent times - below are the figures quoted before (which are reproduced on Wikipedia) and now on the club's website:

West Stand - 2,918 (now 2,872)
South Stand - 1,336
East Stand - 3,636 (now 3,500)
North Stand -1,381 (now 1,351)

Total - 9,271 (now 9,059).
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Why is our ground shrinking?
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:22 am Again, Kent and Nigel need to be made aware of this advice on how to grow a business.
Quite amusing, if only done to attract attention. I think most people can see that what I'm saying is to try and flush out of our minds the negative attitude that has been indoctrinated into us over the past 20 years. We have been discouraged to use such words as progress purely for the financial gain from our former "die hard" Orient owner, Barry Hearn.
Time to start thinking more of how we were once, and not so many years ago, a fairly successful Champion ship club. Not little Leyton Orient...
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Of course, I'm with you on that.

But our minds on this aren't really relevant. KT obviously has plans to grow the club, it's what he does, he hasn't stumped up all these millions just for a daft laugh. He'll show his hand when the time is right.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:37 pm Time to start thinking more of how we were once, and not so many years ago, a fairly successful Champion ship club. Not little Leyton Orient...
Personally I always prefer plain old Orient. Leyton just encourages the alliteration with Little.
Also I was born in Clapton and used to walk across the Marshes to see my team. Lived on the council estate built over the old Clapton Stadium.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 pm Of course, I'm with you on that.

But our minds on this aren't really relevant. KT obviously has plans to grow the club, it's what he does, he hasn't stumped up all these millions just for a daft laugh. He'll show his hand when the time is right.
Mindsets can be transferable. So lets hope some of it can help KT in his quest to grow our club, as I certainly don't think he's just in it for a giggle either.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

They already know what their plan is and they'll let us know when the time is right. They might be new to football but they know how to grow a business.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Your ordinary every day business is a far cry from a football business, as Hearn and Bechetti learnt - much to our cost.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:15 am
Dunners wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:01 am A standing area may not help with capacity issues. Modern safe standing zones specify a similar space per spectator as seating.

Anyway, the ground is plenty big enough for us up to a sustained period in the Championship.
Another negative view, and another one Content to drift along endlessly in the doldrums. Like a lot of things in life, if you don't make space and room you'll never grow. And if you have more space you will attract more custom. It's time to get the message out there that we are gearing up to go places.
I like the doldrums. Ask anyone who knows me.
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

Firstly, if it was in Travis and Teague's plan to buy back Brisbane road they wouldn't have gone cap in hand to the SC and LOFT when the east stand needed fixing.

Secondly, tearing down the east stand would cost at least a million quid just to get the asbetos out.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Constantine wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:34 am Firstly, if it was in Travis and Teague's plan to buy back Brisbane road they wouldn't have gone cap in hand to the SC and LOFT when the east stand needed fixing.

Secondly, tearing down the east stand would cost at least a million quid just to get the asbetos out.
This.

Forget it - there will be no redevelopment of BR.
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

The asbestos problem was a million quid cost a good 10 years ago or more I dread to think what it might be now
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

NOM wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 am The asbestos problem was a million quid cost a good 10 years ago or more I dread to think what it might be now
It will still be asbestos I think you will find.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I hate what Hearn did to our ground, but it happened and we have to deal with the consequences of that.

My understanding is that the asbestos cost is way lower now as decommissioning costs have decreased due to better techniques and or equipment involved.

As for the comments about needing help to repair the east stand that is quite laughable really, did you not see how much the owners pumped in to the club in the last published set of accounts? Plus as has been stated the loss will be similar in this set? So for them to need £40k or whatever the exact number was is ridiculous.

I personally would never want to leave Brisbane Road, it’s our home, part of our identity and I’ve seen both good and bad times along my journey. However, I now think that part of my future journey will involve me attending a different ground at some point in the future. Our ground will be big enough for league 2 as it is today, with the growth in our supporter base and with some big clubs in there at present we might just struggle in league 1. As for the championship it will be too small. The owners have said on record that they have looked at alternative sites with the council, but were unable to find one, that doesn’t mean there isn’t one, just not one that could be utilised right now. The owners know what they are doing, that’s for sure, they have short, medium and long term plans for this club and as they have indicated that includes more supporters. Where we will end up I don’t know, but I feel that we are in safe hands, I believe that they are here for the long term, and that success will be delivered on the pitch, how quickly I don’t know.

We got our club back and today we will be champions. Today will be a good and happy day which will finally allow us to banish the Italian circus to the bin forever more and amen to that.
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

What Italian ?