The Ling Interview

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Re: The Ling Interview

Post by BiggsyMalone »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:31 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:26 pm
LittleMate wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm Byways, this is Orient not Chelsea. We don't have the pick of the crop and we don't have a smart and wide scouting network to identify potential managers. What do you think is the best we can afford? 2/3 of the names mentioned so far we can't afford. We invite applications and people also come forward to apply. JE missed out to Davies evidently - but we were lucky he was still about. If Ling went about seeking out managers 6 weeks ago then such is the footballing community that Ross would have found out in days and not weeks.

Football clubs do advertise for managers; I've seen them in the back of some broadsheets and I bet there's a "situations vacant" section for members on the LMA website too. It's called spreading the word, because in football terms places like Sheffield are a million miles away from Leyton. It lets anyone interested know.
It's Martin Ling's job. He knew there was a high chance that it wouldn't work out. Football at this level is a small world, everyone in the game knew what happened to Justin, everyone in the game knew Ross was interim manager - therefore, likely to be replaced. He should have had a list of names he thought would be best for the job, then open it up and let people throw their hat in the ring on the off chance someone you wouldn't expect would fancy it.

You don't get rid of a manager without 1 or 2 people lined up. We all know one of his mates in the game will get it or someone he's worked with before.
Anyone can have a list
The list has to want to come here
So you use the time between appointing Ross and him f*cking off as a chance to gauge interest from people on your list. I'd like to think he's done that and we'll get a new manager shortly after the weekend.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:33 pm
It's Martin Ling's job. He knew there was a high chance that it wouldn't work out. Football at this level is a small world, everyone in the game knew what happened to Justin, everyone in the game knew Ross was interim manager - therefore, likely to be replaced. He should have had a list of names he thought would be best for the job, then open it up and let people throw their hat in the ring on the off chance someone you wouldn't expect would fancy it.

You don't get rid of a manager without 1 or 2 people lined up. We all know one of his mates in the game will get it or someone he's worked with before.
Anyone can have a list
So you use the time between appointing Ross and him f*cking off as a chance to gauge interest from people on your list. I'd like to think he's done that and we'll get a new manager shortly after the weekend.
Who’s your tip Biggsy?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Anyone can have a list
Who’s your tip Biggsy?
Haven't got a clue. It's an attractive job though. In London, decent ground, decent crowds most weeks, decent training ground, good and versatile squad - especially going forward and owners with a long term plan. It'll either be someone talented and young or someone with something to prove. I hope it's someone who wants to keep the ball down and make use of the qualities of our attackers and play good football though. Out of everyone mentioned, Sol Campbell seems the best option for what I'd personally like.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:54 pm
Who’s your tip Biggsy?
Haven't got a clue. It's an attractive job though. In London, decent ground, decent crowds most weeks, decent training ground, good and versatile squad - especially going forward and owners with a long term plan. It'll either be someone talented and young or someone with something to prove. I hope it's someone who wants to keep the ball down and make use of the qualities of our attackers and play good football though. Out of everyone mentioned, Sol Campbell seems the best option for what I'd personally like.
Someone who has proven time and time again to achieve success against all the odds?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Who’s your tip Biggsy?
Someone who has proven time and time again to achieve success against all the odds?
There is no success at all costs at league 2 level. Need someone who will build for the next couple of years and get promotion in that time. May not win every week but defensive mistakes to a minimum and attacking football whenever possible.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Who’s your tip Biggsy?
Whats actractive about London to Northeners for example ?

Sh*te beer , no fields , no nosey neighbours to moan about
Expensive restraunts expensive shops expensive everything
A shortage of bread & dripping etc etc
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 pm
There is no success at all costs at league 2 level. Need someone who will build for the next couple of years and get promotion in that time. May not win every week but defensive mistakes to a minimum and attacking football whenever possible.
Martin will find just that person.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Who’s your tip Biggsy?

Hackney marshes around the corner, good indy breweries in the borough (that do ale), Oceano is very reasonable on the high road, you can get some bargains down Walthamstow market, there's a Morrisson's in Chingford. There's not a shortage of Foccacia and rosemary infused olive oil though.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:59 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Martin will find just that person.
I hope he does. He's got a 50/50 record at the moment.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:02 pm

Hackney marshes around the corner, good indy breweries in the borough (that do ale), Oceano is very reasonable on the high road, you can get some bargains down Walthamstow market, there's a Morrisson's in Chingford. There's not a shortage of Foccacia and rosemary infused olive oil though.
Hackney Marshes i give you the lake & peak districts , indy breweries are new & flat caps are only worn by wanna be peaky blinders , ill stick to traditional ales & brews , worlds best curry sauce at wackers fish & chip shop in york ,
Bargains at high street , why spend money when you can cut a tyre to fix yer boots & string for yer belt

Morrisons , nowt compared to free rabbit or pidgin pie our kid.

No shortage of spit & sawdust infused lard !!
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm Byways, this is Orient not Chelsea. We don't have the pick of the crop and we don't have a smart and wide scouting network to identify potential managers. What do you think is the best we can afford? 2/3 of the names mentioned so far we can't afford. We invite applications and people also come forward to apply. JE missed out to Davies evidently - but we were lucky he was still about. If Ling went about seeking out managers 6 weeks ago then such is the footballing community that Ross would have found out in days and not weeks.

Football clubs do advertise for managers; I've seen them in the back of some broadsheets and I bet there's a "situations vacant" section for members on the LMA website too. It's called spreading the word, because in football terms places like Sheffield are a million miles away from Leyton. It lets anyone interested know.

Well it’s the same when he the the DOF job.
He knew there was a good chance of this job coming up weeks before he got it.
He should have sounded out unemployed managers and had one lined up, what did he do?
He bought in several players and also appointed his mate as coach when the very first thing he should have done was to appoint the manager.
He basically acted as team manager and used up a good amount of the budget by signing players the manager might not even want. Davis was out of work he could have and should have had him in the building FIRST.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Who’s your tip Biggsy?

Good god he thinks Sol Campbell is a northerner. : :lol:
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:57 pm

Good god he thinks Sol Campbell is a northerner. : :lol:
F*ck a duck byways ,

Can you not read ?

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Let it go person of non discriminate gender
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:25 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 pm
Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm This whole thing seems to be a mess. Isn’t the role of the DOF to make such a process easier?
Quelle surprise. Disso calling out Lingo.
Not at all. I have all faith in his abilities, but would question his capacity to make a success of this process.

Do you?
To be fair dis he ain’t done too bad so far has he? Built a squad that won the league within two years and in 45 years of supporting the o’s it’s the first league title I’ve seen. He has had a 50% success rate in permanent managers. We seem to have kids coming through so the youth section can’t be bad either.

I’d say he’s doing a good job and I believe he will get this appointment right.

Try and back the man just once, he might surprise you and you might be happy with his next appointment.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Stating the obvious I know, but Ling’s chances of getting the appointment right are dependent upon the quality of the candidates who are tempted to apply for the job. There certainly are a number of decent prospects out there but will the post appeal to them? We can only hope.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Thor wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 pm
Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:25 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Quelle surprise. Disso calling out Lingo.
Not at all. I have all faith in his abilities, but would question his capacity to make a success of this process.

Do you?
To be fair dis he ain’t done too bad so far has he? Built a squad that won the league within two years and in 45 years of supporting the o’s it’s the first league title I’ve seen. He has had a 50% success rate in permanent managers. We seem to have kids coming through so the youth section can’t be bad either.

I’d say he’s doing a good job and I believe he will get this appointment right.

Try and back the man just once, he might surprise you and you might be happy with his next appointment.
I back the club first and foremost. Let’s hope you are right on the appointment. If it is Sol, standby for the sh*t storm.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Look at all the clubs out there who have, or have had recent money problems. There'll likely be a couple more in the next few years as well.

It will be known in the game that our club is stable, with decent people at the helm. You'll get paid and you'll have support from the owners. That will make it an attractive proposition to a lot of people.

You may be surprised at who'd be interested.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:52 pm

He should have sounded out unemployed managers and had one lined up, what did he do?
He bought in several players and also appointed his mate as coach when the very first thing he should have done was to appoint the manager.
He basically acted as team manager and used up a good amount of the budget by signing players the manager might not even want. Davis was out of work he could have and should have had him in the building FIRST.
All these mistakes & he still built a structure that had us back in the EFL within 2 seasons. 👍
What an absolute C0ckwomble 🙄
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

O my gawd wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:39 am
Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:52 pm

All these mistakes & he still built a structure that had us back in the EFL within 2 seasons. 👍
What an absolute C0ckwomble 🙄
That was down to JE and even then, they limped over the line because Solihull and Salford also played sh*t.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Limping over the line flying over the lines who cares? We did it though didn’t we?

Also don’t forget there is a thing called pressure involved and dare I say it may have got to one or two players, not just in our club, but others also hence their blow up at the end as well.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Real Al wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 am Look at all the clubs out there who have, or have had recent money problems. There'll likely be a couple more in the next few years as well.

It will be known in the game that our club is stable, with decent people at the helm. You'll get paid and you'll have support from the owners. That will make it an attractive proposition to a lot of people.

You may be surprised at who'd be interested.
Pleasantly surprised I hope 😁
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Don’t understand some of this crap aimed at Ling. He has nothing to prove with us. Player, manager or DoF. His record speaks for itself.

All this should have people lined up stuff is childish nonsense. He knows the sport and the people and knows what to do. He also has the integrity not to belittle Ross by doing stuff whilst Ross was in charge.

He is handling a difficult situation with dignity and respect for his team and whilst I have no doubt he considered to possibility of Ross going and planned for it in a respectful way he sure as hell won’t come out with stuff that would be insulting and hurtful to Ross

People digging him out over this are fecking idiots who need to use their one brain cell to go find the other one that’s gone walkies
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

Red_Army wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 pm Some utter rubbish being spouted on this thread.
There still is...
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Red_Army wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:06 am
Red_Army wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 pm Some utter rubbish being spouted on this thread.
There still is...
Always will be until you stop posting.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Why anyone bothers with Byways / I was wrong / Orient1 is beyond me.

An idiot. Plain and simple.