The Ling Interview

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: The Ling Interview

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

gshaw wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:32 pm Having watched that it makes sense now Ross looked so I'll at ease in the job; he didn't want to do it and was persuaded into it by Ling, who seemed to know all along it didn't suit the guy's personality and skill set.

I do wonder why he made the beeline for Ross to do it rather than Webb though.
Because Ross is ahead of him in the pecking order. Promoting Webb ahead of him would cause all sorts of issues.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:05 am
Byways1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm
Story of O wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:53 pm Why would anyone take advice from you?
Why have a DOF when after 3 months he hasn’t got a clue who the manager should be and is going to advertise in the Sunday Sport.
How do you know he doesn’t have a clue? He may well have identified who he would like but I doubt he was in a position to talk with them until Ross resigned. Now, quite rightly, he is looking further afield to see who is interested. He is going through the correct process. Don’t mean he hasn’t already got preferences but he needs to find out if they are interested too and that they are a good fit.

He needs to get it right so taking a bit extra time is spot on.
Quite right, plus in these days he has to be politically correct and offer everyone the opportunity to apply - otherwise he risks the wrath of the many authorities in and around football. The standard procedure is to invite applications and I guess he's doing that.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Stop talking sense!
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

[quote=RedO post_id=47501 time=1569304953 user_id=805

Because Ross is ahead of him in the pecking order. Promoting Webb ahead of him would cause all sorts of issues.
[/quote]

I can't buy that Ross was 100% forced into it, although he is saying now he never saw himself as manager. It was his first real go at it with a team he could have a proper pre-season to mould, and signings he could choose. That is slightly different to last time when he had to step in and momentum was against him.

It was a terrific opportunity for him. He has his entire career ahead of him, and if he performed well he would widen his opportunities and not be dependent upon Ling for jobs in the mens game. Given the safety net it was almost a risk-free gamble on his part. Had he had a good season he might have been poached by a bigger team.

Hopefully it don't happen again but I reckon Webb might get the chance of temporary boss if it ever comes down to it.

I wonder what happens to Jobi now? With everyone taking a step back, three coaches plus a keeper coach might be excessive. Even if he does his badges it doesn't seem as if he will be boss, or even assistant boss here.
Constantine
Fresh Alias

Post by Constantine »

Embleton himself said he felt that he was much more of a coach than a manager before the season started. Webb was coaching kids as well last year right? Maybe McAnuff will do a bit more of that.

Also, lower league managers very rarely bring in their own coaching staff.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Embleton talked about Jobi looking after our younger players so yeah, will be in that direction (for now).

I reckon Webb will be the one must upset by all of this, wouldn't be surprised if he applies for the post.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

If Webb is always going to be behind RE in the pecking order, he will leave the club, as he has nowhere to go

To me Danny Webb is much more manager material, than RE ever was, but I suppose RE being Lings best mate, is an insurmountable hurdle for Webb

As RedO says above, Webb will be the most upset by all this
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:52 am
Byways1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Why have a DOF when after 3 months he hasn’t got a clue who the manager should be and is going to advertise in the Sunday Sport.
How do you know he doesn’t have a clue? He may well have identified who he would like but I doubt he was in a position to talk with them until Ross resigned. Now, quite rightly, he is looking further afield to see who is interested. He is going through the correct process. Don’t mean he hasn’t already got preferences but he needs to find out if they are interested too and that they are a good fit.

He needs to get it right so taking a bit extra time is spot on.
Quite right, plus in these days he has to be politically correct and offer everyone the opportunity to apply - otherwise he risks the wrath of the many authorities in and around football. The standard procedure is to invite applications and I guess he's doing that.
What a load of rubbish.
When do you see football clubs waiting for CVs to turn up.
They go out and get the best they can afford.
Taking a bit of time?
He has had 3 months.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Taking a bit of time?
He has had 3 months.
So a Manager is approached by a Football club has to become Manager of that team ?

Is that how it works Byways ?

What if he doesnt want to work there ?
Last edited by tuffers#1 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Byways, this is Orient not Chelsea. We don't have the pick of the crop and we don't have a smart and wide scouting network to identify potential managers. What do you think is the best we can afford? 2/3 of the names mentioned so far we can't afford. We invite applications and people also come forward to apply. JE missed out to Davies evidently - but we were lucky he was still about. If Ling went about seeking out managers 6 weeks ago then such is the footballing community that Ross would have found out in days and not weeks.

Football clubs do advertise for managers; I've seen them in the back of some broadsheets and I bet there's a "situations vacant" section for members on the LMA website too. It's called spreading the word, because in football terms places like Sheffield are a million miles away from Leyton. It lets anyone interested know.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm Byways, this is Orient not Chelsea. We don't have the pick of the crop and we don't have a smart and wide scouting network to identify potential managers. What do you think is the best we can afford? 2/3 of the names mentioned so far we can't afford. We invite applications and people also come forward to apply. JE missed out to Davies evidently - but we were lucky he was still about. If Ling went about seeking out managers 6 weeks ago then such is the footballing community that Ross would have found out in days and not weeks.

Football clubs do advertise for managers; I've seen them in the back of some broadsheets and I bet there's a "situations vacant" section for members on the LMA website too. It's called spreading the word, because in football terms places like Sheffield are a million miles away from Leyton. It lets anyone interested know.
More nonsense.
jE was employed at Northampton when Davis was Appointed.
Ross was Interim manager so it would be no surprise the club was looking for a permanent manager.
When Williams left in 2010 we went straight out and got Russell Slade in days.
Besides all clubs have someone in mind before they sack a manager.
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

LittleMate wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 pm Byways, this is Orient not Chelsea. We don't have the pick of the crop and we don't have a smart and wide scouting network to identify potential managers. What do you think is the best we can afford? 2/3 of the names mentioned so far we can't afford. We invite applications and people also come forward to apply. JE missed out to Davies evidently - but we were lucky he was still about. If Ling went about seeking out managers 6 weeks ago then such is the footballing community that Ross would have found out in days and not weeks.

Can’t afford?
You mean will can’t employ a manager who worked for nothing for 4 months?
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Can’t afford?
You mean will can’t employ a manager who worked for nothing for 4 months?
Just checked,
Williams sacked 3 April.
Slade appointed 5 April.
No messing.
On the ball recruitment.
No sitting around wasting time in the hope results pick up so you can keep the same coaching team in place.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:41 pm

More nonsense.
Ross was Interim manager so it would be no surprise the club was looking for a permanent manager.
Is " having someone in Mind " .
Getting the Best manager there is available ?

Who is your choice byways
Let us know please.

Also can you answer the question i put to you .

I know it's toughy but at least have a go
Be a good lad
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 pm
Taking a bit of time?
He has had 3 months.
So a Manager is approached by a Football club has to become Manager of that team ?

This one
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:57 pm
Byways1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:41 pm

More nonsense.
Is " having someone in Mind " .
Getting the Best manager there is available ?

Who is your choice byways
Let us know please.

Also can you answer the question i put to you .

I know it's toughy but at least have a go
Be a good lad
You mean you.
I’m sorry that you find it so hard to understand.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

tuffers#1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:59 pm

This one
This Q byways
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Taking a bit of time?
He has had 3 months.

Blimey Barry was right about people like you.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Byways you are a funny little chap

Monotonous but funny
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

This whole thing seems to be a mess. Isn’t the role of the DOF to make such a process easier?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm This whole thing seems to be a mess. Isn’t the role of the DOF to make such a process easier?
Quelle surprise. Disso calling out Lingo.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Max B Gold wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:24 pm
Disoriented wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 pm This whole thing seems to be a mess. Isn’t the role of the DOF to make such a process easier?
Quelle surprise. Disso calling out Lingo.
Not at all. I have all faith in his abilities, but would question his capacity to make a success of this process.

Do you?
Byways1
Fresh Alias

Post by Byways1 »

Perhaps they should make Matt Porter DOF.
He appointed Slade two days after we sacked Williams.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

It's Martin Ling's job. He knew there was a high chance that it wouldn't work out. Football at this level is a small world, everyone in the game knew what happened to Justin, everyone in the game knew Ross was interim manager - therefore, likely to be replaced. He should have had a list of names he thought would be best for the job, then open it up and let people throw their hat in the ring on the off chance someone you wouldn't expect would fancy it.

You don't get rid of a manager without 1 or 2 people lined up. We all know one of his mates in the game will get it or someone he's worked with before.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:26 pm

It's Martin Ling's job. He knew there was a high chance that it wouldn't work out. Football at this level is a small world, everyone in the game knew what happened to Justin, everyone in the game knew Ross was interim manager - therefore, likely to be replaced. He should have had a list of names he thought would be best for the job, then open it up and let people throw their hat in the ring on the off chance someone you wouldn't expect would fancy it.

You don't get rid of a manager without 1 or 2 people lined up. We all know one of his mates in the game will get it or someone he's worked with before.
Anyone can have a list
The list has to want to come here