Older Orient fans

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Older Orient fans

Post by Proposition Joe »

Like, those of you who bang on about seeing us in the 60s and 70s. What did you do back then when we lost a few games? Genuine question. Did you call for a manager's head after a few bad results, or write them off after 10 games? Did you write to the local paper saying Jimmy Bloomfield had to go after losing a couple of games?

The phenomenon of chopping and changing managers is only a thing from the past couple of decades, fuelled by phone-ins and platforms like this and Twitter where everyone has a load off whenever they like. There's no statistical evidence that swapping managers every five minutes leaves clubs any better off and plenty of examples of managers who have done well to begin with and then turned out to be sh*t.

I understand why some of the younger fans who have grown up watching football in its current state and also grown up with the modern societal need and desire for everything to work immediately or be binned off as a dud might lack patience but really, what's your excuse?
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Older Orient fans

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Old fans on here do tend to be either the most overly dramatic or the ones that talk most nonsense.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

What we’ve done is move with the times and embraced modern technology and operating practices.

And it’s not just the old who look back at past events, the young do too. It’s just we can look back further.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

dOh Nut wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:56 pm What we’ve done is move with the times and embraced modern technology and operating practices.
Maybe you have. Not sure others on here have.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Embracing modern operating practices which don't particularly work? True visionaries.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:59 pm Embracing modern operating practices which don't particularly work? True visionaries.
Well they would be if their eyesight wasn't deteriorating due to old age.
Bottomley’s Ghost
Fresh Alias

Post by Bottomley’s Ghost »

You’re right. We should give Davis more time.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

We lost
What time does the Pub Open ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:52 pm Like, those of you who bang on about seeing us in the 60s and 70s. What did you do back then when we lost a few games? Genuine question. Did you call for a manager's head after a few bad results, or write them off after 10 games? Did you write to the local paper saying Jimmy Bloomfield had to go after losing a couple of games?

The phenomenon of chopping and changing managers is only a thing from the past couple of decades, fuelled by phone-ins and platforms like this and Twitter where everyone has a load off whenever they like. There's no statistical evidence that swapping managers every five minutes leaves clubs any better off and plenty of examples of managers who have done well to begin with and then turned out to be sh*t.

I understand why some of the younger fans who have grown up watching football in its current state and also grown up with the modern societal need and desire for everything to work immediately or be binned off as a dud might lack patience but really, what's your excuse?
Your comparison doesn't work because in the past we didn't have Directors of Football or Interim Managers. The Americanisation of the management structures at the club will be its downfall.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

Ageist OP. Put the bottle down, mate. :lol:
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

I need to find my rose tinted glasses before reading this thread
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

dOh Nut wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:56 pm What we’ve done is move with the times and embraced modern technology and operating practices.

And it’s not just the old who look back at past events, the young do too. It’s just we can look back further.
Great answer 👍🏿
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

The Mindsweep wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:02 am I need to find my rose tinted glasses before reading this thread
😁😁
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Max B Gold wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:09 am
Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:52 pm Like, those of you who bang on about seeing us in the 60s and 70s. What did you do back then when we lost a few games? Genuine question. Did you call for a manager's head after a few bad results, or write them off after 10 games? Did you write to the local paper saying Jimmy Bloomfield had to go after losing a couple of games?

Your comparison doesn't work because in the past we didn't have Directors of Football or Interim Managers. The Americanisation of the management structures at the club will be its downfall.
👍🏿😎
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:59 pm Embracing modern operating practices which don't particularly work? True visionaries.
Many don’t that’s probably true. But in my opinion life in general today is far better than 50 years ago (apart from the body falling apart). It should be remembered it’s this same old generation who have brought about massive changes especially in technology and to some extent attitudes in modern day living.

Look around, the influence of the old is everywhere. Most good. Some like world wars not so much. Every generation makes its mistakes. But today every person on this forum will get benefit from what the old generation have achieved. I dare say in 50 years time people will be able to say the same, hopefully.

The one thing us oldies can do that the Young cannot is look back and compare. Don’t knock it. The young have a habit of getting older too.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

Ah, so those "Clarke out!" and "Eustace out!" chants were just my imagination then.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

It’s not about calling for every managers head, it’s just in this case it’s quite clear that the interim manager is out of his depth and is struggling across several areas.
Last edited by Thor on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

I am extremely old, and I think demanding Managers heads on a plate is truly potty. Take a look at Watford, study Bournemouth.
y o y o y
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by y o y o y »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 pm Old fans on here do tend to be either the most overly dramatic or the ones that talk most nonsense.
I had you down as a younger fan. My mistake
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

dOh Nut wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:45 am
Many don’t that’s probably true. But in my opinion life in general today is far better than 50 years ago (apart from the body falling apart). It should be remembered it’s this same old generation who have brought about massive changes especially in technology and to some extent attitudes in modern day living.

Look around, the influence of the old is everywhere. Most good. Some like world wars not so much. Every generation makes its mistakes. But today every person on this forum will get benefit from what the old generation have achieved. I dare say in 50 years time people will be able to say the same, hopefully.

The one thing us oldies can do that the Young cannot is look back and compare. Don’t knock it. The young have a habit of getting older too.
Like climate change?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Real Al wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:47 am Ah, so those "Clarke out!" and "Eustace out!" chants were just my imagination then.
This. The new way of voicing your opinion is a lot more civil.
y o y o y
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by y o y o y »

Proposition Joe wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:52 pm Like, those of you who bang on about seeing us in the 60s and 70s. What did you do back then when we lost a few games? Genuine question. Did you call for a manager's head after a few bad results, or write them off after 10 games? Did you write to the local paper saying Jimmy Bloomfield had to go after losing a couple of
The old ones did write to the local paper, moaned a lot and stopped going every week. The younger ones took out their frustration by knocking a coppers helmet off and turned to hooliganism
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

y o y o y wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:43 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 pm Old fans on here do tend to be either the most overly dramatic or the ones that talk most nonsense.
I had you down as a younger fan. My mistake
I am.
AckneyAwks
Fresh Alias

Post by AckneyAwks »

Dont think Overly Dramatic or Most Nonsense comes with an age tag.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Can't talk for the 70s although the 1st half of the 80's saw 2 relegations in 3 years and the last half most saturdays consisted of Clark Out protests including a well decorated bed-sheet proclaiming "Clark Out" which was a bit of fixture on the north terrace. Back then though, sacking managers wasn't anywhere near as regular an event as it is today - No way dear old Frankie would've survived after 84-85 if it'd happened today.

Personally, I think there was a modicum of understanding back then - most of us knew Orient were skint from about 1983 - 88 and changing managers really was unlikely to make much difference. Most of us were limited to just tutting noisily and hoping it'd all get better somehow - a position that I've maintained ever since.