We Are Going to Need a Bigger Ground

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: We Are Going to Need a Bigger Ground

Post by Chief crazy horse »

To those who keep on saying 'we don't néed a larger capacity,' I can only conclude they must be Hearns relations.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:48 am To those who keep on saying 'we don't néed a larger capacity,' I can only conclude they must be Hearns relations.
If The Os sold out most home games then yes, but as things stand it would be pointless. That written there are probably some improvements that could be made to the East Stand that would add a few more seats or allow more home supporters at the expense of the away section. 1,500 is a large section for away support for a small ground (over 15%). In comparison Aston Villa only give over 3,000 of their 42,000 for away fans, but are only obliged to give 2,000. With similar reckoning, Orient should only be obliged to accommodate 500 away fans.

https://www.sufc.co.uk/siteassets/downl ... _guide.pdf
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

NOM wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:59 am
Cheshunto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am
Top of the West. wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:10 am What? There is at least one property in Brisbane Road for sale opposite the ground. Do check your facts

At the moment even if we had the finance, it would be building on land owned by the Matchroom pension fund which would be fraught with legal issues. It's not a good business plan either because we wouldn't fill it for league games and unless we got a massive cup home game never at all.

Even buying back the ground from MPF would leave us with a ground which had Three stands that could not be extended.
Unfortunately I don’t think the residents in Brisbane Road would welcome a rebuilt East Stand which would be higher and probably block sunlight etc
I think that it’s great that this great club of ours is finally moving in the right direction and people are even talking about needing a bigger stadium.
Jeez how many more times
There is no residents in Brisbane Rd
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

Winchesterfan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:13 pm
NOM wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:59 am
Cheshunto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am
Unfortunately I don’t think the residents in Brisbane Road would welcome a rebuilt East Stand which would be higher and probably block sunlight etc
I think that it’s great that this great club of ours is finally moving in the right direction and people are even talking about needing a bigger stadium.
Jeez how many more times
At least one flat is for sale in Brisbane Road opposite the stadium and several houses/flats occupied.Do check your facts! Also if new East stand had a cantilever roof I think overall height of stand would not increase even with two tiers if some high level overhang of existing entrances and pavement were allowed.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Winchesterfan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Jeez how many more times
There are some at the end, but none directly opposite the east stand (except on the corners of Brisbane Road). So it may be possible to push the east stand out over the pavement/road if Waltham Forest council permitted it.

RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

NOM wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 pm
Unless I’m really badly sighted what is their to compulsory purchase on Brisbane Rd bar the East stand? Oh and the Laurie Cunningham plaque
You're right. Nothing much opposite east stand. Just one house which seems to have had the entrance re-sited.
Last edited by RientO on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RientO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:09 pm
Chief crazy horse wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:48 am To those who keep on saying 'we don't néed a larger capacity,' I can only conclude they must be Hearns relations.
If The Os sold out most home games then yes, but as things stand it would be pointless. That written there are probably some improvements that could be made to the East Stand that would add a few more seats or allow more home supporters at the expense of the away section. 1,500 is a large section for away support for a small ground (over 15%). In comparison Aston Villa only give over 3,000 of their 42,000 for away fans, but are only obliged to give 2,000. With similar reckoning, Orient should only be obliged to accommodate 500 away fans.

It's not pointless. We have to have some aspirations for our football club no matter how small. Talk small, stay small, as we know only too well from Hearn's spiel.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:09 pm

It's not pointless. We have to have some aspirations for our football club no matter how small. Talk small, stay small, as we know only too well from Hearn's spiel.
If in the short term, Orient significantly increased capacity they would not sell any more tickets but it would cost a lot. The current aspiration should be to return to League One and then look at what it would take to get into the Championship. That would be the time to look at spending money increasing capacity.
NOM
Fresh Alias

Post by NOM »

And don’t forget the costly asbestos removal which has hampered proposed improvements before
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RientO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

If in the short term, Orient significantly increased capacity they would not sell any more tickets but it would cost a lot. The current aspiration should be to return to League One and then look at what it would take to get into the Championship. That would be the time to look at spending money increasing capacity.
You think I'm thinking that we would get an extra 3000 fans overnight! You have to think ahead, and you have to do it gradually. It's no good waiting until we reach our goal to increase capacity. We might go and get relegated the same season! I'm talking about laying plans now, and what's more I'm only talking about adding about 3000 which I think is attainable. Talk it up, talk positive and start acting. That attracts outside interest. It's no good waiting and hoping and decrying how we are only now averaging 5000. We ARE going to get to the championship.... Positivity. Not little Leyton Orient as Hearn tried (successfully in a lot of cases) to instil into our minds.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

I make the chief right here. I thought that the home team must make available 10% of the stadium total to away fans. Thought I’d back up my claim rather than running it to a dead end. Here is the law for the EFL.

EFL Rules on away fans

34.2.1 Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000. The League may, on the prior written application of a Club, suspend this Regulation or reduce the figure either for a particular League Match or for a period of time.

So it would appear that we only need give over 1,000 tickets. We need to maximise our potential support, knock down the old directors box make them all seaters without segregation move the barrier along further and reduce the number allowed for away fans. We could segregate the fans underneath by erecting a gate between the two areas and that should create extra capacity. In theory that shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to do.
Pandy
Fresh Alias

Post by Pandy »

Keep the east stand for home fans and split the north stand for away fans. Just use stewards to segregate the fans, costs nothing, sorted.
Joe_Mayo
Fresh Alias

Post by Joe_Mayo »

I'd like a standing section reinstated. That would solve the capacity issue
If ever there was a security issue in the ground and people needed to get our pretty sharpish - those steps in the new stands are so steep that I can envisage many people getting hurt just trying to leave.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

A standing area may not help with capacity issues. Modern safe standing zones specify a similar space per spectator as seating.

Anyway, the ground is plenty big enough for us up to a sustained period in the Championship.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

Brisbane Road will never be upgraded, tomorrows game is a one off compared to the rest of the season. Tickets are harder to come by as there are more season ticket holders and as such the club should be looking into making Season Tickets digital. So if the holder could not attend then it's easier for them to let the club know and for the club to make the seat available online.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Fellowo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 am ...the club should be looking into making Season Tickets digital.
I hope not cos I won't get one if that happens and just pay on the day as I did prior to this season. It is handy having paper tickets as for the odd game I can't make like Maidenhead, I can give the tickets to my nephews in advance who can go in my place. Most of my tickets get used but when I have spares, the game isn't sold out, so I leave them in the pub. And they are never picked up and used.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:52 pm
RientO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:30 pm

You think I'm thinking that we would get an extra 3000 fans overnight! You have to think ahead, and you have to do it gradually. It's no good waiting until we reach our goal to increase capacity. We might go and get relegated the same season! I'm talking about laying plans now, and what's more I'm only talking about adding about 3000 which I think is attainable. Talk it up, talk positive and start acting. That attracts outside interest. It's no good waiting and hoping and decrying how we are only now averaging 5000. We ARE going to get to the championship.... Positivity. Not little Leyton Orient as Hearn tried (successfully in a lot of cases) to instil into our minds.
Some great points in there.

Someone should let Nigel and Kent know about this potential issue with our capacity.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Dunners wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:01 am A standing area may not help with capacity issues. Modern safe standing zones specify a similar space per spectator as seating.

Anyway, the ground is plenty big enough for us up to a sustained period in the Championship.
Another negative view, and another one Content to drift along endlessly in the doldrums. Like a lot of things in life, if you don't make space and room you'll never grow. And if you have more space you will attract more custom. It's time to get the message out there that we are gearing up to go places.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Again, Kent and Nigel need to be made aware of this advice on how to grow a business.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

The "Field of Dreams" business model; one of the most successful you can employ.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Pandy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:59 pm Keep the east stand for home fans and split the north stand for away fans. Just use stewards to segregate the fans, costs nothing, sorted.
There could be something in that, may upset a few feathers at first glance, however the 'ealth and saftey brigade would object also possibly "old bill" because away supporters would need to run gauntlet through home supporters to get to station
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Wally Banter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:24 am The "Field of Dreams" business model; one of the most successful you can employ.
:lol: :lol:
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Thor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:41 pm I make the chief right here. I thought that the home team must make available 10% of the stadium total to away fans. Thought I’d back up my claim rather than running it to a dead end. Here is the law for the EFL.

EFL Rules on away fans

34.2.1 Each Club must make provision for at least 2,000 visiting supporters at every home match or such number as represents 10% of the Club’s certified capacity, if less than 2,000. The League may, on the prior written application of a Club, suspend this Regulation or reduce the figure either for a particular League Match or for a period of time.

So it would appear that we only need give over 1,000 tickets. We need to maximise our potential support, knock down the old directors box make them all seaters without segregation move the barrier along further and reduce the number allowed for away fans. We could segregate the fans underneath by erecting a gate between the two areas and that should create extra capacity. In theory that shouldn’t be too hard or expensive to do.
That idea has legs and could run, well thought out
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

StillSpike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:59 am
Wally Banter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:24 am The "Field of Dreams" business model; one of the most successful you can employ.
:lol: :lol:
Good one StillSpike lovely film as well, a lot to be said about that idea
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

I'd like to know what the real capacity is. I understood that it was circa 9,000. Even at its fullest in never gets anywhere near that.
Does anyone know what it really is?