phone help

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: phone help

Post by Max B Gold »

I had an S6 but dropped it down the toilet and don't recall coming on here bleating about it all broken hearted begging people to take my grief away.

Happily I got through it all and now have an S7 which is out of contract and SIM only. I love it and don't know how I would live without it but I know one day it will pass to Techbin heaven and I'm preparing myself for that moment.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Did you fish it out of your tuds and give it a try or just flush it away?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

RedO wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:12 pm Did you fish it out of your tuds and give it a try or just flush it away?
Fished it out, rushed it to the kitchen and put it in a bag of rice. It was supposed to be watertight but wasn't however it lived long enough to extract important data like my MB log ins and pisswords. A week later on Friday curry night Mrs Gold complained about her basmati tasting funny.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

I had a 3gs for 7 years- it was going fine despite numerous I phones being released. I still use it as a radio etc.
I changed this year to a Huawei p something for 99 euro sim only. 64 gb and the battery lasts 2 days.
Don't care that the Chinese are listening into my discussions on orient, bake off and The Fall.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am I'm on a Galaxy S8 and recently the battery is draining very suddenly, in the middle of the night. It'll go from c 50% to zero very quickly (as far as I can see from the Battery chart the next day). It doesn't happen every night - I can't see a pattern. Battery drain through the day, and on most nights, is fine - it's just now and again that I wake up to a dead phone.

I am just approaching the end of the contract, and if I were paranoid I might wonder if it was some specific act or program to persuade me to "free" upgrade (i.e. not to just convert to a sim-only contract at a fraction of the price - so not really "free"). I'm very loath to upgrade, as I like the phone and disagree with the constant throw-away-and-replace cycle with pretty resource-hungry objects.

I'll keep trying to work out what's causing the problem, but any help* gratefully received

(* other than "buy an iphone", thanks!)
Might be an error with one of the Apps.
When it happens next goto Device Care and then Battery and it will show a list of apps that are consuming the most battery. If you find one that you aren't really using but consuming lots of battery then there's your answer and suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it should you still need it. Alternatively there are many articles and YouTube clips that show you have to maximise battery performance, though one simple one is to ensure Location and Bluetooth are off when you don't need them.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:59 am
Fellowo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:16 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:04 am

I don't recall anywhere where Apple admitted that they purposely slow down their phones to tempt you into an upgrade. They certainly did admit that their software slows the phones down as they age to compensate for issues caused by the age of the phone.
And if you believe that you'd believe anything. Sales have been slowing over recent years (regardless if IPhone or other) so what a great way to boost sales by making people believe their current phone is knackered.

I've even heard about this first hand, my colleague has an IPhone and mentioned only the other day that suddenly the Internet is slower or takes longer to open Apps, even sometimes they don't open at all. I just asked her when her contract was due, said next month!
What I believe or don't believe is irrelevant. Apple have never admitted to purposely slowing down phones to tempt customers to upgrade as you have claimed.
Course not. But it makes a great story.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Fellowo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:54 pm
StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am I'm on a Galaxy S8 and recently the battery is draining very suddenly, in the middle of the night. It'll go from c 50% to zero very quickly (as far as I can see from the Battery chart the next day). It doesn't happen every night - I can't see a pattern. Battery drain through the day, and on most nights, is fine - it's just now and again that I wake up to a dead phone.

I am just approaching the end of the contract, and if I were paranoid I might wonder if it was some specific act or program to persuade me to "free" upgrade (i.e. not to just convert to a sim-only contract at a fraction of the price - so not really "free"). I'm very loath to upgrade, as I like the phone and disagree with the constant throw-away-and-replace cycle with pretty resource-hungry objects.

I'll keep trying to work out what's causing the problem, but any help* gratefully received

When it happens next goto Device Care and then Battery and it will show a list of apps that are consuming the most battery. If you find one that you aren't really using but consuming lots of battery then there's your answer and suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it should you still need it. Alternatively there are many articles and YouTube clips that show you have to maximise battery performance, though one simple one is to ensure Location and Bluetooth are off when you don't need them.
Thanks for that. I've already done that and it looks like it's Google Play Services. Unfortunately, nowadays a lot of apps use Google Play services as part of their routine so it's not possible (easily) to work out which app it is that's causing the problem. (for example, modern apps might use Google Play Services for their location functionality - that's great and i'm sure it makes coding apps easier, but it means the user can't tell which App it is that's draining battery with pointless location activity :cry: ) I'll keep on with it and see what I can find. Not being able to see an Event Viewer is a bugger, as I'd just have to look and see what was active at 4 in the morning !
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for that. I've already done that and it looks like it's Google Play Services. Unfortunately, nowadays a lot of apps use Google Play services as part of their routine so it's not possible (easily) to work out which app it is that's causing the problem. (for example, modern apps might use Google Play Services for their location functionality - that's great and i'm sure it makes coding apps easier, but it means the user can't tell which App it is that's draining battery with pointless location activity :cry: ) I'll keep on with it and see what I can find. Not being able to see an Event Viewer is a bugger, as I'd just have to look and see what was active at 4 in the morning !
Have you tried clearing partition cache? Give that a go if not. The last resort is obviously a factory reset, but it might be worth giving Samsung a ring or if your close to one of their support centres, popping in.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Is it some sort of auto update if it seems to happen at a set time?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Battery is f*cked.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Have you tried turning your phone off during the night?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:53 pm

It's possible - it's happened 3 times - consecutive days (Mon & Tue) about 3 weeks ago, and again last night. There's nothing to show there's been an update - and no log of one. Each time has been in the wee hours. I think I'll try a web chat with Samsung support and see what they think - I'd imagine they'd be able to access logs that us mere mortals aren't allowed to see.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Have you tried turning your phone off during the night?
It's my alarm clock - so no! I could try that, i guess, but I'm not sure it'll let me see what's doing all the draining. Going to try a web chat with support and take it from there.
Fellowo
Fresh Alias

Post by Fellowo »

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 pm

It's possible - it's happened 3 times - consecutive days (Mon & Tue) about 3 weeks ago, and again last night. There's nothing to show there's been an update - and no log of one. Each time has been in the wee hours. I think I'll try a web chat with Samsung support and see what they think - I'd imagine they'd be able to access logs that us mere mortals aren't allowed to see.
You can now set the phone to restart at certain times, but that's supposed to make things better not worse. Maybe check that you have the latest update, just in case it's set to manual somehow.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

StillSpike wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 pm

Only reason I wondered, my grandson seemed to use loads of download allowance. Turned out his phone was on auto apps update and 4G was a stronger signal than WiFi so the updates used this to download changes. We only found out when the network provider looked at their log and this happened at a set time, circa 3am, when these things trigger.