How long

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

2monty22
Fresh Alias

How long

Post by 2monty22 »

Will it be for the os get a proper manager we have an o.k team need better organizing from what ive seen
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: How long

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Two years.
2monty22
Fresh Alias

Post by 2monty22 »

Ok then next year national league
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

:?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Judging by our history, probably 100 years or so?
Tom Chance
Fresh Alias

Post by Tom Chance »

2monty22 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:48 pm Will it be for the os get a proper manager we have an o.k team need better organizing from what ive seen
Hi Faith. How you doing?
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

End of the season baring a disastrous run that threatens our league status. Ross may well decide it’s not for him yet but I doubt the board will rush into changing. Travis said only last week he thought the management group were doing well. He accepts a learning curve. Moderate results Will be acceptable.

Should we have a moderate season Ross will get the gig next season being that much more experienced of course. Only then will he get replaced if results don’t improve

Safest job in football right now. Only hasto keep us above the drop zone.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Reckon the board might make the changes before end of year.

Read on social media that Teague have described results as 'not great', did not do anything to defend Ross such as use excuses like bad luck, injuries, individual errors etc.

The thing is, from the set of fixtures we had, in my view we are bang on expectations. Would have expected us to beat Stevenage and not lose to Crawley, but then I wouldn't have expected any points away at Mansfield and Exeter. The rest of the games, no real surprise apart from Macclesfield.

Ross has done OK for me, took a big backward step with the 5-3-2 against Swindon which cost us the game, but has shown signs of learning since. That said I don't believe we will ever be a good defensive team with him in charge, and if we don't win one of the four easier games coming up, it'll probably be curtains as it's likely we might only have one win in 14 or 15 by that stage and be too close to the bottom.

So, in my view the boards expectations are probably a little higher than mine and so Ross might be a little behind. They may be looking at him now and asking 'is this a man who could mount us a promotion charge in 2020/2021 if we backed him??' At the moment it doesn't look like it.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

January
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

During this October sometime . Ross made a tactical error last Tuesday night and it cost us .
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Tom Chance wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 pm
2monty22 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:48 pm Will it be for the os get a proper manager we have an o.k team need better organizing from what ive seen
Hi Faith. How you doing?
That's funny.I did think this as well.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

FFS, what's with all this 'promotion push"? Orient don't normally do promotions. Our normal modus operandi is to serve up disappointment sprinkled with the occasional golden nugget. Very, very rarely there are enough nuggets to achieve something but normally the nuggets are far short of this and sometimes not enough to stave off relegation.

"We are Orient
Leyton Orient
We are normally
Slightly below average"
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

eagwgw wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:28 pm Reckon the board might make the changes before end of year.

Read on social media that Teague have described results as 'not great', did not do anything to defend Ross such as use excuses like bad luck, injuries, individual errors etc.

So, in my view the boards expectations are probably a little higher than mine and so Ross might be a little behind. They may be looking at him now and asking 'is this a man who could mount us a promotion charge in 2020/2021 if we backed him??' At the moment it doesn't look like it.
I tend to agree with this. With the games played, the results have been acceptable on the whole.
There are some easier games coming up and If Orient go on a decent run and start winning home games it will be a different story.
Orient Interim Head Coach is definitely not the safest job in football right now.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

RientO wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:21 am If Orient go on a decent run and start winning home games it will be a different story.

Exactly this. Totally different story if we stop losing games.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Who would you suggest, who is both available, and realistic? I've no doubt you have someone in mind, since you seem so keen for Ross to lose his job.

I think Ross has done okay.
Certainly, he has made mistakes, but we have to bear in mind he is operating with essentially a National League squad (minus Bonne and Josh K), plus Angol, Wright, and Wilkinson.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 pm During this October sometime . Ross made a tactical error last Tuesday night and it cost us .
Yup I agree with this, Ross has 3-4 more games tops imo. A new manager needs at least a month to work with the squad to make meaningful changes before transfer window opens.

Apart from Cheltenham I can't point to one good home performance, really clutching at straws to suggest we played well in spells in the other games but still failed to pick up the points through sloppy play at both ends. The Stevenage game (worst side we'll play all season I reckon) and Swindon (total surrender) were particularly poor.

I still struggle to reconcile our top 8 budget with squad and lack of options in key areas. Ling has to take responsibility there - Ross has a tough job with Alabi as one of his 4 strikers (or was it his choice to retain, in which case he's made his own bed)

I'm not surprised Kent is disappointed, a relegation battle is not where we can afford to be at.

Sad to see "little Leyton Orient" syndrome coming back. No reason we shouldn't be aiming at promotion next season and talking down ambition doesn't move us forward.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

I don’t think the little Leyton Orient syndrome as coming back. A moderate season to consolidate is not regression but common sense. Ross was a poor choice and a soft option at a difficult time. We are paying the price for what I see as a gutless decision.

But having made that decision I can’t see changes this season baring a disaster. Takes balls to admit it was the wrong choice and I don’t believe Ling has that sort of courage

Ross will see the season out unless we hit relegation trouble.

The watch the impact on next seasons ST sales.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

The budget thing is a good point, if we really are Top 8 then disappointment is understandable.

I can't really believe that myself. In nominal terms, tickets are more expensive than ever before and an increased commercial focus should see us over £4m turnover easily. Including the player sales, perhaps pushing to £5m.

For us to get to £1m loss, that means a spend of £5m-£6m on rent, wages, other expenses.... that seems really steep to me. I looked at clubs that do file full accounts (AFC Wimbledon) and the season they got promoted, they had a turnover of £4.1m and lost £187,000. They also paid out rent on their stadium as well.

The only explanation to me is that we are paying our players well, perhaps too well, or have too many staff in non-core areas.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

eagwgw wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm The budget thing is a good point, if we really are Top 8 then disappointment is understandable.

I can't really believe that myself. In nominal terms, tickets are more expensive than ever before and an increased commercial focus should see us over £4m turnover easily. Including the player sales, perhaps pushing to £5m.

For us to get to £1m loss, that means a spend of £5m-£6m on rent, wages, other expenses.... that seems really steep to me. I looked at clubs that do file full accounts (AFC Wimbledon) and the season they got promoted, they had a turnover of £4.1m and lost £187,000. They also paid out rent on their stadium as well.

The only explanation to me is that we are paying our players well, perhaps too well, or have too many staff in non-core areas.
That is an interesting comparison.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

What's concerning is the goals against column, that don't lie. Any team that concedes goals will struggle and that's a worry to me.
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm I don’t think the little Leyton Orient syndrome as coming back. A moderate season to consolidate is not regression but common sense. Ross was a poor choice and a soft option at a difficult time. We are paying the price for what I see as a gutless decision.

But having made that decision I can’t see changes this season baring a disaster. Takes balls to admit it was the wrong choice and I don’t believe Ling has that sort of courage

Anyone with a brain knows and understands why Ross was appointed. Stop trying to be clever after the event.

You need to have a look at yourself, calling Ling out for not having courage. He is one of the most courageous people in football, is a credit to himself and the club and should be celebrated. You on the other hand are none of those things.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm I don’t think the little Leyton Orient syndrome as coming back. A moderate season to consolidate is not regression but common sense. Ross was a poor choice and a soft option at a difficult time. We are paying the price for what I see as a gutless decision.

Purely on results so far, we’re already hit relegation form
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Purely on results so far, we’re already hit relegation form
Well seeing as we are 6 points clear of the relegation zone, I'd say that you are wrong.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Maybe another way of looking at it, watch the attendance figures, a lot of thought and effort went into ways to increase gate figures, which is the key to everything, if they continue to fall then so will the axe
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm ...impact on next seasons ST sales.
Probably had an impact on this season. Doubt there were many takers this month. Last year I got mine in January, and I suspect there are few who do likewise. August and September are always a write off for going to football for me. Only went to Cheltenham game because it was so early in August. Once #1 son is packed off to university will be able to go a bit more. I was going to Colchester on the way back until Mrs. RientO decided she was heading up to Nottingham as well. Not even considering it now.