George Marsh - yay or neigh?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

George Marsh - yay or neigh?

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Not a lot has been said on the little mans performance last night, which I think speaks volumes.

It’s a no from me. He was tidy enough, showed one great touch, tried to compete but just isn’t powerful enough to play that role. I can see why he’s sat on the bench for so long.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Re: George Marsh - yay or neigh?

Post by O my gawd »

RedO wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am Not a lot has been said on the little mans performance last night, which I think speaks volumes.

It’s a no from me. He was tidy enough, showed one great touch, tried to compete but just isn’t powerful enough to play that role. I can see why he’s sat on the bench for so long.
Exactly, why haven't the club gone out & signed Sergio Busquets from Barcelona instead of going for a youngster from Spurs ? 🙄

Are you honestly for real ? There are shortcomings in 1 or 2 areas & you're finding fault in the ones who are performing well.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

As I argued in the match thread Marsh is the platform. He allows Wright/Clay to progress the play and Gorman to make forward runs. Without him we're back to 2/3 players all trying and failing to do a bit of everything.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

I think he is a very simple player but is good at what he does, also loves a crunching tackle.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

He did a job yesterday but I agree that he looked young and inexperienced (which he is) and didnt do a lot with the ball. He had a decent 20 min spell in the second half but despite sitting in front of the back 4 for most of the game, they often had 20 yards of space to run into.

Only seen him once though so cant judge him too harshly.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Had a good 2nd half.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

Without singling out Marsh, I was concerned that in the first half, we had 3 central midfielders on the pitch and 2 wider ones and we still couldn't get the ball.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

I thought he did well. One of our best players IMO.
Demarco
Fresh Alias

Post by Demarco »

RedO wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am Not a lot has been said on the little mans performance last night, which I think speaks volumes.

:roll: idiot alert
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

yay for me , i thought he did well last night 👍👍
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

He was good last night. The constant scapegoating of young players is baffling.
RicketyCricket
Fresh Alias

Post by RicketyCricket »

He battled well and put himself about, there was space at times but I'd look at the other midfielders before criticising Marsh. Think he could be a good player for us and will likely improve with more game time.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

bobo66 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 am Without singling out Marsh, I was concerned that in the first half, we had 3 central midfielders on the pitch and 2 wider ones and we still couldn't get the ball.
Interesting responses so far. It’s strange that barely a positive word was written until I asked the question.

I do think Gorman and Wright are both better suited to the advanced roles and that does work. But too often they were failing to collect the ball, forcing Coulson or Marvin to be the playmaker, something neither of them are cut out to be.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:23 am He did a job yesterday but I agree that he looked young and inexperienced (which he is) and didnt do a lot with the ball. He had a decent 20 min spell in the second half but despite sitting in front of the back 4 for most of the game, they often had 20 yards of space to run into.

Only seen him once though so cant judge him too harshly.
Agreed.

Yeah, happy for these 3 to be given a run of games to see how it goes - especially with Clay looking so off the pace when he came on - but not overly optimistic of him being the answer. We’ll see.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

O my gawd wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:12 am

Exactly, why haven't the club gone out & signed Sergio Busquets from Barcelona instead of going for a youngster from Spurs ? 🙄

Are you honestly for real ? There are shortcomings in 1 or 2 areas & you're finding fault in the ones who are performing well.
I don’t know busqyets but if he plays for Barcelona I doubt he’d want to drop to our level.

Someone like Ebou Adams would be perfect for tha role...
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

Not sure if hes played pro football before in the league, but the boy has big potential you could see that quite clearly. He just needs time to adapt to the pace of the game which will be quicker than the u23 or whatever he was in at spurs, the physicality of the game and the little tricks that senior pros do.

I believe he will be good for us and he will have a decent career. I do find it strange that people want to slaughter a young kid just starting out in the pro game. He can't be that bad as spurs only recently gave him a new contract and I'd suggest poch knows more about players and their development than 99.9% of fans.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Thor wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm Not sure if hes played pro football before in the league, but the boy has big potential you could see that quite clearly. He just needs time to adapt to the pace of the game which will be quicker than the u23 or whatever he was in at spurs, the physicality of the game and the little tricks that senior pros do.

I believe he will be good for us and he will have a decent career. I do find it strange that people want to slaughter a young kid just starting out in the pro game. He can't be that bad as spurs only recently gave him a new contract and I'd suggest poch knows more about players and their development than 99.9% of fans.
:D

Yeah, I'll hold up my hands and say that Poch probably knows a bit more than me.

I'm not intending to slaughter the lad at all. I've said he showed some nice touches and you could tell the level he'd trained at when on the ball on a couple of occassions. But he wasn't on the ball enough, the game seemed to bypass him.

Maybe it's just me but I was expecting (hoping?) for more from a 20 year old from Spurs. Think of the 20 year olds (or younger) we have/had now and in recent times - Happe, Koroma, Judd, Alzate - all have a much bigger impact in games.

Hopefully it's just as you say, a bit of adjusting which he can do quickly and he'll come good for us.
Luckybay1969
Fresh Alias

Post by Luckybay1969 »

Think some supporters slagged of Kane if I recall we HSBC history (certainly from the terraces). I think he done well and loves a tackle and definitely good enough for this level !
Luckybay1969
Fresh Alias

Post by Luckybay1969 »

* have even ..apologies.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Really, did they?

Regardles, Marsh is no Kane.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Yay.

Did better IMO than any of the other 3 last night. He's not supposed to be a Koroma; he knows he's there to influence games in a different sort of way to JK. Had people running towards him from 10-15 yards because the others got sucked in and bypassed. I'm not sure anyone went past him in a central position last night.

I suspect he will get better as he gets more game time.
MasterDirkTurk
Fresh Alias

Post by MasterDirkTurk »

Eat The Rich wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:18 am As I argued in the match thread Marsh is the platform. He allows Wright/Clay to progress the play and Gorman to make forward runs. Without him we're back to 2/3 players all trying and failing to do a bit of everything.
But neither Gorman nor Wright has the quality to play that killer pass
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Much calmer on the ball than Gorman and his tackles were more effective, especially the last ditch one late in the second half in our box. His composure is much needed and I can't see him losing his place until his time runs out.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:28 am He was good last night. The constant scapegoating of young players is baffling.
Not only baffling, but after two games? Do me a favour!
WGC O
Fresh Alias

Post by WGC O »

Definite yes from me - looked calm on the ball and not afraid to get stuck in